Just for Fun > Ok Blue Jays Talk

2019 Blue Jays General Discussion Thread

<< < (72/72)

sickbeast:

--- Quote from: Nik Bethune on November 10, 2019, 03:17:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: sickbeast on November 10, 2019, 03:10:48 PM ---The team is a hot mess.  They desperately need pitching and they let a guy like Tepera walk.  If that was their plan they should have traded him long ago.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, again, a "Guy like Tepera" meaning what? A relief pitcher with a career ERA of 3.64? As we saw with Hudson last year, guys like Tepera can be signed off the scrap heap literally whenever the Jays want. It's genuinely meaningless.

--- Quote from: sickbeast on November 10, 2019, 03:10:48 PM ---I keep telling you that Tepera is the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  I guess you don't remember what happened with Donaldson, Bautista, and Encarnacion, just to name a few players. 
--- End quote ---

No, I remember all of that and didn't want to rehash old arguments. It's just genuinely shocking to me that since the Stroman trade we've seen real meaningful evidence of this management team's ability to draft and develop good young players and the Jays look set for at least the next 5 years in the infield and behind the plate and none of that bought enough goodwill to outweigh...not getting anything for Ryan Tepera.

But, once more, ok. Don't cheer for the Jays then. Their loss, I suppose.

--- End quote ---
Drafting well relies on your scouts.  Developing players well is a team effort.  If those are your reasons for liking Shapiro and Atkins, all I can say is "wow".

The real role of the GM is to acquire good players, either via free agency or trade.  On that level, current management has been an abysmal failure.

I kind of blame Rogers as much as I do Shapiro.  I personally see Shapiro as Rogers' corporate puppet/shill.

Nik:

--- Quote from: sickbeast on November 10, 2019, 03:32:10 PM ---Drafting well relies on your scouts.
--- End quote ---

Right. And who is it that hires the team's scouting staff?

--- Quote from: sickbeast on November 10, 2019, 03:32:10 PM ---  Developing players well is a team effort.
--- End quote ---

Sure. It depends on many, many coaches and scouts and analytics experts, all of whom are hired and evaluated by the front office.

--- Quote from: sickbeast on November 10, 2019, 03:32:10 PM ---  If those are your reasons for liking Shapiro and Atkins, all I can say is "wow".
--- End quote ---

So, just to be clear, you don't think we should be judging the front office on their ability to draft and develop players. You think that the fact that the team right now has a lot of good young players on it isn't a valid reason to like the work of the guys responsible for putting the team together.

Well, that's certainly a way of looking at things.

Arn:
Pretty cool little video of Bo Bichette being a pretty nice guy

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6_VChgn48a/?igshid=8y46s9w203fd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version