Author Topic: Who is your most disappointing player this season?  (Read 6045 times)

Offline BrownRolo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Who is your most disappointing player this season?
« on: March 30, 2014, 04:30:36 AM »
Clarkson has been disappointing, but most people knew he wasn't good to begin with. 

For me it's Lupul. It seems like he has reverted back to the way he was playing when the Leafs got him as a throw-in player/salary swap piece. 

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Who is your most disappointing player this season?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:55:31 AM »
Lupul has 22 goals and 44 poins in 67 games. That's almost spot on his career norm.

The asnwer is Clarkson. No one else comes close.

brothert

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:03:01 AM »
Can't we change the thread title to Clarkson's most disappointing moments this season....

brothert

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:06:36 AM »
Seriously though, other than Clarkson, you have to give some grief to Franson.  He really regressed since last year.  And Kulemin seems to be fading from a potential 2/3 line player to a solid 3rd liner.  His hands are reminiscent of Hoglund's, solid granite.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:16:34 AM »
Seriously though, other than Clarkson, you have to give some grief to Franson.  He really regressed since last year.  And Kulemin seems to be fading from a potential 2/3 line player to a solid 3rd liner.  His hands are reminiscent of Hoglund's, solid granite.

Eh Franson was never really that great imo anyway. He was a giveaway machine in the playoffs and couldn't make a decent pass to save his life. Others may differ on his performance last year though.

Kulemin, on the other hand, is the hardest working and hardest/best checker on the team and his even strength offensive numbers are pretty good, despite playing alot of 3rd line minutes with 3rd line teammates. Give him a regular spot all season with Lupul and Kadri and I bet you see 20 goals and 50 points.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:15:16 AM »
I think that Kulemin is extremely valuable.  He appears to make anyone playing with him look better.  He can fill in on any line.  If JVR were to get injured, I'd promote Kulemin to the top line and I think they would continue to do well.  (Obviously he wouldn't score as much as JVR but he wins puck battles and cycles well and is our best player in the D zone when it comes to getting the puck out of the zone along the boards up his side of the ice.

Offline hap_leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:06:42 AM »
I've seen enough of Kadri.  This guy has been coasting for the last 30 games.  Aside from his complete dropoff in points, he gets bumped off the puck and has no backcheck.
Where's the magic? 

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
Clarkson is the obvious answer, but I didn't really have good expectations for him.  Franson is my final answer.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:48 AM »
I've seen enough of Kadri.  This guy has been coasting for the last 30 games.  Aside from his complete dropoff in points, he gets bumped off the puck and has no backcheck.
Where's the magic?

Kadri had fortunate luck in the shortened season with a high on-ice SH% that likely wasn't sustainable.  His production has been fine for a young 2nd line C.  James Mirtle had a good piece about this last season (I think) - how Kadri was the 'luckiest man' in the league and that expectations for his points going forward should have been tempered.

Offline Kessel Run

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:20:49 AM »
Where's the magic?

I agree he's been brutal. Sophomore slump perhaps? Not sure we should trade him yet.

Offline hap_leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »
Where's the magic?

Kadri had fortunate luck in the shortened season with a high on-ice SH% that likely wasn't sustainable.  His production has been fine for a young 2nd line C.  James Mirtle had a good piece about this last season (I think) - how Kadri was the 'luckiest man' in the league and that expectations for his points going forward should have been tempered.

Like I said, points are not the major gripe I have here.  I'm really put off by his effort out there on most nights. 
What is missing as well is that egocentric confidence that we saw.  Where are those magical dangles with the puck that were so intriguing?  He is not even trying that stuff anymore just like he is not even trying on the backcheck. 

Offline Leafs71

• Veteran
  • I broke your television!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »
Its probably easier to say who wasn't a disappointment.

In terms of the regulars, Kessel, JVR, Reilly, Gardiner, Bodie, Gunnarsson, Bozak, and Bernier played above the level of their contracts.

Kadri and Phaneuf were borderline.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
Where's the magic?

Like I said, points are not the major gripe I have here.  I'm really put off by his effort out there on most nights. 
What is missing as well is that egocentric confidence that we saw.  Where are those magical dangles with the puck that were so intriguing?  He is not even trying that stuff anymore just like he is not even trying on the backcheck.

Yeah. Last night was a blatant example. He just stands around in the leafs zone, watching the defencemen struggle. I've had some serious doubts about his future here in Toronto, and have given him the benefit of doubt up until now. But, if he can be moved for a young, skilled two-way forward, I'd probably make that deal in a second.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:32:15 AM »
Where's the magic?

I don't think he ever did those moves to a great degree last season, but maybe it just felt like he did.  He's still done it a number of times this season, that assist vs. Montreal being probably the best example.  It's a longer season too, probably still part of him learning to deal with an entire NHL season and how grueling it can be.  Maybe he could get away with it last season but not now.

Either way I don't think there's anything wrong with how he's playing.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Who is your most disappointing player this season?
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 10:34:12 AM »
Raymond. For the dough he should have gotten at least 25 or 30.