Author Topic: Giordano signs 2-year extension 800k AAV  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
Re: Giordano signs 2-year extension 800k AAV
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2022, 10:12:28 AM »
They can choose to try to be better. They need skill and luck to actually be better.

I feel relatively confident that to the extent that they can choose to try and be better that they will make that choice.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2022, 12:15:19 PM »
I think they might keep Spezza as a 13th guy if he agrees to a reduced role.

He seems like the kind of guy who won’t complain as long as he gets to hang out with the boys

Only problem is Simmonds is already signed for next season and would currently be penciled in for that spot too. I really don't think we can justify having them both on the roster. If Spezza does want to return maybe we could see if Simmonds would be open to a trade to Philly.

I know the lockerroom seems to love both guys but I think I would rather have Spezza in the lockerroom over Simmonds if we are having them there as more of a cheerleader/veteran type role.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2022, 01:11:16 PM »
I keep thinking there's something we must be missing here. Like are there $3mil in performance bonuses that just haven't been reported yet?

Offline Guilt Trip

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2022, 01:15:12 PM »
I keep thinking there's something we must be missing here. Like are there $3mil in performance bonuses that just haven't been reported yet?
I find it hard to believe they signed him for 800K. But who knows how these guys think? He's playing at home now with a 1st class organization.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2022, 01:29:21 PM »

He seems like the kind of guy who won’t complain as long as he gets to hang out with the boys

Only problem is Simmonds is already signed for next season and would currently be penciled in for that spot too. I really don't think we can justify having them both on the roster. If Spezza does want to return maybe we could see if Simmonds would be open to a trade to Philly.

I know the lockerroom seems to love both guys but I think I would rather have Spezza in the lockerroom over Simmonds if we are having them there as more of a cheerleader/veteran type role.

They don't need cheerleader/veterans taking up space.  The core guys aren't kids anymore.  They need to maximize talent on ice.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2022, 02:20:15 PM »

They don't need cheerleader/veterans taking up space.  The core guys aren't kids anymore.  They need to maximize talent on ice.
Agree. If Spezza comes back in a limited role, Simmonds goes to the Marlies and is an injury replacement guy. We can't have them both playing on a line anymore. We need more from our bottom 6. I think it's time for a kid from the Marlies to be there. A guy like Douglas, who is a monster. Holmberg, Anderson, Steeves, McMann, Seney. Surely they could make a pretty decent 4th line with these guys.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2022, 02:44:16 PM »
Guys that can be the shot supressing shut down type that you don't mind if they get caught out against the other teams top lines.

You quite literally just described Mark Giordano, who coincidentally enough suppressed shots at a better rate than any Tampa defenceman this season.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2022, 03:17:37 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 03:33:54 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2022, 03:58:25 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 04:19:56 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2022, 04:35:57 PM »
I know I am probably in the minority here but I was really hoping that the D would be reshaped over the summer and my vision did not include Giordano.
What this team needs is a little more size, reach, mobility and some nastiness in their 5-6  pairing.  Guys that can be the shot supressing shut down type that you don't mind if they get caught out against the other teams top lines.
Foot speed was an apparent problem at times for him and it will certainly not improve at the age of 40.
The way I look at it, would he play in Tampas top 6? No, he would probably be their 8th best defenceman. So if you want to not only keep up but be better then the Tampa Bays of the league, why do we settle for pieces him? Granted many teams would love him at this cap hit, but the mind set can't be to just make playoffs anymore.

Lyubushkin filled that bill ... except for the bolded part.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2022, 05:26:38 PM »

Does anyone in the league really have 6 defensemen that make you say "Oh yeah, they should do fine against the other team's top line"?
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Bill_Berg_is_sad

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2022, 05:28:13 PM »
They can choose to try to be better. They need skill and luck to actually be better.

I feel relatively confident that to the extent that they can choose to try and be better that they will make that choice.

For sure.  I believe they are all in on being the best team in the NHL. Now can they do it.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2022, 05:32:16 PM »

Does anyone in the league really have 6 defensemen that make you say "Oh yeah, they should do fine against the other team's top line"?
Nope. You hope they survive.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2022, 07:23:20 PM »
It's a great signing, I found Gio to have a calming affect on the entire D and plays very steady.  I think it is a steal of a deal.  Now time to move out Muzz, Holl and that goalie that I can't spell, whose name is not Campbell. Spezz is done as a player, but development coach, part of staff, yes please.  Simmonds should be mentoring Marlies.  Douglas will be our 4th line C next year no doubt.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki