Author Topic: R1, G7: Lightning @ Leafs - May 14th, 7:00pm - CBC, TSN 1050  (Read 4549 times)

Offline BrownRolo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: R1, G7: Lightning @ Leafs - May 14th, 7:00pm - CBC, TSN 1050
« Reply #390 on: May 14, 2022, 10:50:56 PM »
One team got a goal called back.  The other team got gifted a 5 on 3 when trailing. 

These two right here, changed the series.

Its disappointing, it was a great shot by Tavares, but I heard the whistle clearly on TV, so when it went in I knew it would not count right away. Im sure it was loud at ice level. Sucks but it was the right call.

We had no idea until saw the penalty box open.  The crowd was going nuts even before the goal

Why is a pick an automatic penalty? It isn't in basketball. Holl established body position and didn't reach out and grab him or anything. I guess it's interfering with a guys movement but it should be legal. All you're doing is making him go the long way around.

I feel like Holl needed to sell it more. If he made it look more like an accident he could've got away with it.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 14, 2022, 10:51:44 PM »
Pretty minor point, but after a quiet regular season since being acquired I thought Blackwell really stepped up in the playoffs in very limited minutes. I wish he got on the ice a little more as opposed to some of the other middle-6 guys that maybe weren't exactly playing as good as we've seen them in the past (Engvall/Mikheyev). I hope he's able to come back on a cheap deal next season because if spots open up higher in the line-up I think he'll be a good option.

Offline BrownRolo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 14, 2022, 10:52:53 PM »
Pretty minor point, but after a quiet regular season since being acquired I thought Blackwell really stepped up in the playoffs in very limited minutes. I wish he got on the ice a little more as opposed to some of the other middle-6 guys that maybe weren't exactly playing as good as we've seen them in the past (Engvall/Mikheyev). I hope he's able to come back on a cheap deal next season because if spots open up higher in the line-up I think he'll be a good option.
Engvall was pretty disappointing. Mickey had opportunities but was disappointing as well.

Offline hap_leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 14, 2022, 10:55:41 PM »
One team got a goal called back.  The other team got gifted a 5 on 3 when trailing. 

These two right here, changed the series.

Its disappointing, it was a great shot by Tavares, but I heard the whistle clearly on TV, so when it went in I knew it would not count right away. Im sure it was loud at ice level. Sucks but it was the right call.

We had no idea until saw the penalty box open.  The crowd was going nuts even before the goal

Why is a pick an automatic penalty? It isn't in basketball. Holl established body position and didn't reach out and grab him or anything. I guess it's interfering with a guys movement but it should be legal. All you're doing is making him go the long way around.

If Holl was just standing still its fine. Watch the replay on youtube a few times and you will see that Holl moved purposely to impede the forward momentum of the opponent. The whistle sounded and then Tavares shot the puck.  If he did it in a less obvious way without that direct impact he may have got away with it.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 14, 2022, 10:56:28 PM »
The thing that irks me the most out of this entire game is the panel DEFENDING the call on the no goal/pick/penalty.

Offline BermudaBudsFan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 14, 2022, 10:56:59 PM »
I think the difficulty is, where do they go from here?  Still in cap hell so cant really upgrade due to financial constraints.  It was much better effort, but this team can’t really be improved in a meaningful way, despite Dubas’s wizardry.

Offline gunnar36

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 14, 2022, 10:59:19 PM »
Its really hard to be optimistic right now as I look ahead to next season.
Next year Reilly's salary gets a bump, Campbell will be looking for a big raise, will be tough to try and resign Mikheyev. Not a lot in the prospect pipeline in the way of maiking this team more playpff competent.  Our D is aging and Dubas keeps favouring undersized skill guys in draft.⁹

Offline Guilt Trip

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 14, 2022, 11:02:26 PM »
Engvall was pretty disappointing. Mickey had opportunities but was disappointing as well.
I was fine with Mikheyev and also for the most part with Engvall. I was more disappointed with Kerfoot's and Bunting's production. I would have like to see Blackwell get some looks in the top 6.
It's going to be interesting to see what Dubas does this off season. Can we get Gio, Lyubushkin back on the cheap? Is Spezza done?Will he move Willy, Kerfoot, Muzz who I thought was excellent.
Interesting times ahead.

Online Joe

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 14, 2022, 11:02:35 PM »
I hate to admit this, and let me preface this by saying that the leafs should not be ashamed of themselves for their performance, that being said, I feel like there’s too much alfredsson era senators in this team. Clearly talent, outplayed their opponent, but weren’t willing to play dirty. TB clearly has no qualms playing dirty to get the job done.

However, on the other side of that argument, I feel as though if the leafs did play dirty all the calls would go against them.

So which brings me back to my original point, the NHL is a really hard league to respect. They make it really, really hard to be a fan.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 14, 2022, 11:03:38 PM »

Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 14, 2022, 11:06:00 PM »
I will say that there is still a tendency of this team to get pretty.  Passing up good shot opportunities trying to feed a tap in.   Kerfoot was probably the most guilty of this in the series.  So many 2 on 1s that went for absolutely nothing because the Leafs tried to force a pass

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 14, 2022, 11:07:30 PM »
I hate to admit this, and let me preface this by saying that the leafs should not be ashamed of themselves for their performance, that being said, I feel like there’s too much alfredsson era senators in this team. Clearly talent, outplayed their opponent, but weren’t willing to play dirty. TB clearly has no qualms playing dirty to get the job done.

However, on the other side of that argument, I feel as though if the leafs did play dirty all the calls would go against them.

So which brings me back to my original point, the NHL is a really hard league to respect. They make it really, really hard to be a fan.

Yeah unfortunately you don't really have much of a choice.  Watch and put up with it or don't watch and invest your entertainment dollar elsewhere.
"We can’t change what’s done, we can only move on.” - Arthur Morgan

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 14, 2022, 11:07:32 PM »
I will also say I would gladly give up being the A game on broadcasts if it meant we could have commentators who actually want the Leafs to win.   The difference when TSN has Ray calling our games and Sportsnets blandest is painful

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 14, 2022, 11:07:58 PM »

I don't even think the CBJ was a real travesty either. The leafs roster was much worse back then, compared to now. If it was this version of the Leafs lost to them, then yeah. That one had Ceci, Barrie and Marincin playing meaningful minutes.

The Habs loss, of course, was probably the worst loss in franchise history.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 11:09:30 PM by Deebo »

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 14, 2022, 11:09:05 PM »

The Alfredsson era Sens made the finals, conference finals another time, and beat the Philly team the Leafs couldn't, twice.