Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 106252 times)

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2175 on: January 27, 2022, 07:28:26 PM »
So I’m hearing (not through anything official) that these truckers have a plan B if the government doesn’t relent on the vaccination requirements and are going to cutoff the supply chain across the country, with the support of US truckers. Putting aside that logistically I’m not sure how they pull this off, isn’t this getting dangerously close to terrorism?

I wonder whose idea this was. Maybe the organizer who compared mask mandates to Nazi Germany. Or the organizers who told local press in Thunder Bay to "go find a new country". Or maybe it was the one who told a Toronto Star reporter that traitors like him will "swing in time". Anyway I'm sure they're all good folks who are just concerned about the supply chain.

Like usual, it is quickly unravelling. I have no doubt that within the group that is part of this "convoy" that there's some good people with the best of intentions. The problem is, like you said, they're being run by morons. The one gentleman from Sudbury that was interviewed compared it to nazi Germany. I lost all interest in even paying attention to this farce as soon as I read that. By the way, you're not doing yourself any favours driving around with stickers or flags that say "F Trudeau".....Trudeau himself doesn't care and everyone who's looking at you thinks you're an idiot. I had a guy show up to a job interview last week with that across the tailgate of his truck. Yeah, sorry, no, we are not hiring you.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: January 27, 2022, 07:59:56 PM »
By the way, you're not doing yourself any favours driving around with stickers or flags that say "F Trudeau".....Trudeau himself doesn't care and everyone who's looking at you thinks you're an idiot. I had a guy show up to a job interview last week with that across the tailgate of his truck. Yeah, sorry, no, we are not hiring you.

It's the weirdest thing. There's certainly some politicians out there who I strongly, strongly disagree with, but I would never make that my entire personality.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #2176 on: January 27, 2022, 07:59:56 PM »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: January 28, 2022, 09:04:18 AM »
By the way, you're not doing yourself any favours driving around with stickers or flags that say "F Trudeau".....Trudeau himself doesn't care and everyone who's looking at you thinks you're an idiot. I had a guy show up to a job interview last week with that across the tailgate of his truck. Yeah, sorry, no, we are not hiring you.

It's the weirdest thing. There's certainly some politicians out there who I strongly, strongly disagree with, but I would never make that my entire personality.

It really does help in the selection process when people wear their red flags on the outside in this era of politics, podcasts, and pandemics.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: January 28, 2022, 10:30:39 AM »

It really does help in the selection process when people wear their red flags on the outside in this era of politics, podcasts, and pandemics.

It certainly does. Here's a group, that doesn't to change, or grow with society. They are a group that alienates people of different races or sexual preferences. So, they put up confederate flags, and spew BS on social media. They put stickers on their trucks. And in turn, society is alienating them and for that we're called intolerant and sheep. 

I have family members that have chosen to  wear these hats and  scream about their civil rights. They mock others for not forming their own opinions and listening to the media. Umm, dough brain, you've formed all your opinions by reading far out there facebook posts and listening to  extreme right wing podcasters. You've combed google to find  stories that support your 'narrative'(man i hate that word now). If anything you're the largest flock of sheep there is.

I'll be the first to admit that I've wavered out of exhaustion during this pandemic. I'll be the first to admit that I've looked for ways out  or short cuts. I  don't want to be in this situation and selfishly I've tried to escape it. Unfortunately,  there is no easy way out.  Well, other than choosing to ignore it and as a result, forcing our doctors and nurses into complete exhaustion. To me, that's not the smart move. But, selfishly, many people think that having a depleted medical system isn't a big deal. Until they need it.

I can't wait until I hear those family members and friends complaining about the wait times at the Emergency Room.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:32:57 AM by OldTimeHockey »

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: January 28, 2022, 11:45:06 AM »
And the thing that kills me is the US is blocking truckers from entering so the point is moot. Nothing has changed on the Canadian side other than matching what the US is doing, but really just having the US enact border control is enough.

And it's pretty irksome that Go Fund Me can allow both seemingly random and anonymous donations to protests from people outside the country. How do we know that some of these donations aren't coming from state actors looking to destabilize things here like they do with troll farms on Twitter and hate groups on Facebook?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: January 28, 2022, 01:00:20 PM »

People in cults don't understand that other people aren't in cults. They think that by saying something negative about Trudeau that his supporters will be deeply affected by it when most people who vote Liberal just choose it as their preferred option of a bunch of politicians.

Even at the height of my political advocacy I've never really cared about any party leader.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: January 28, 2022, 01:43:23 PM »
People in cults don't understand that other people aren't in cults. They think that by saying something negative about Trudeau that his supporters will be deeply affected by it when most people who vote Liberal just choose it as their preferred option of a bunch of politicians.

Even at the height of my political advocacy I've never really cared about any party leader.

Yeah. At no point have I ever looked political leader with any kind of reverence. The tribalism displayed by some is quite concerning.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: January 28, 2022, 02:45:02 PM »

Yeah. At no point have I ever looked political leader with any kind of reverence. The tribalism displayed by some is quite concerning.
I've also never disliked a PM enough to protest for days against them and put my job on hold.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: January 28, 2022, 02:50:16 PM »
So I checked twitter and saw that the Convoy was trending along with Russel Brand.

"Russell Brand? The British Comedian? Why would he care about this nonsense?" I wondered. So I clicked on it. And I saw a video of him cheering on the Convoy and asking why it's not being covered by "the mainstream media".

So then I checked. The Convoy is the lead story on CBC, CTV news, The Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail, has five stories on the front page of the Post, about as many as the Sun(although their lead story is Mrazek getting 2 starts before the AS break) and is prominently covered over at Global News.

That's really the thing with these people. They just live in this entirely different universe. Actual, hard truths mean almost nothing to them.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: January 28, 2022, 10:18:44 PM »
So I checked twitter and saw that the Convoy was trending along with Russel Brand.

"Russell Brand? The British Comedian? Why would he care about this nonsense?" I wondered. So I clicked on it. And I saw a video of him cheering on the Convoy and asking why it's not being covered by "the mainstream media".

So then I checked. The Convoy is the lead story on CBC, CTV news, The Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail, has five stories on the front page of the Post, about as many as the Sun(although their lead story is Mrazek getting 2 starts before the AS break) and is prominently covered over at Global News.

That's really the thing with these people. They just live in this entirely different universe. Actual, hard truths mean almost nothing to them.
And the thing that I don't know how to deal with is the extent of misinformation. It's so easy to say well, it's a marketplace of ideas and the best ideas win out, but with larger and larger voices spreading more and more misinformation and the less we have a shared reality, how are we supposed to move forward? I think countries like Russia and China are hoping this kind of division is long term for us while they continue to solidify their positions against the west using social media that we created against us.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: January 29, 2022, 04:25:49 PM »
At least one person at the Ottawa vaccine protest is carrying a Nazi flag, and for some reason no one has said, “dude, maybe don’t”. Also, there is a supply chain and distribution channels for these flags.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

Offline Iafrate

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: January 29, 2022, 04:55:22 PM »
I’m so confused as to what they’re protesting. Even if the government said ‘fine don’t worry about it, no vaccine mandate’ doesn’t the US government have the same mandate for truckers crossing the border? So what would they have accomplished?

I’m so confused about the world we live in today

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: January 29, 2022, 04:58:38 PM »
I’m so confused as to what they’re protesting. Even if the government said ‘fine don’t worry about it, no vaccine mandate’ doesn’t the US government have the same mandate for truckers crossing the border? So what would they have accomplished?

Me too!!!  Want to start a podcast where it's just the two of us yelling WTF!!! for half an hour?
"We can’t change what’s done, we can only move on.” - Arthur Morgan

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: January 29, 2022, 05:10:05 PM »

This should have been pretty obvious from the start but this has nothing to do with truckers, that was just used as their cover. It's just standard anti-vaccine, anti-mask, anti-science, anti-lockdown, anti-Trudeau, anti-"tyranny", pro-"freedom" bullcrap.

Offline Iafrate

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: January 29, 2022, 05:15:59 PM »

Me too!!!  Want to start a podcast where it's just the two of us yelling WTF!!! for half an hour?

I’m in… actually you can join my existing one