Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2020-2021 NHL Thread

Started by CarltonTheBear, October 13, 2020, 04:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarltonTheBear

https://twitter.com/SinBinVegas/status/1316475760580857856

This isn't a big surprise, but in response to a question about Vegas having to play against Nate Schmidt this season Vegas' owner seems to let slip that there are discussions about having a Canadian division.

Deebo

If there is a Canada division with no border crosssing, it can't be an 82 game season... can it?

That's average of like 13 games per opponent

Joe

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on October 13, 2020, 05:39:43 PM
Quote from: Arn on October 13, 2020, 05:37:46 PM
Season is due to start 1st January, right? Full 82 game schedule?

I wouldn't say either of those are set in stone but yes that's the NHL's current position.

Realistically speaking I don?t think anything is going to be much different pandemic wise come January. That being said, how is the nhl going to handle cross border games? The Canadian government already set the precedent with the jays. So I don?t see a viable solution to a full non bubble season.

Edit: I didn?t see that tweet you posted before I wrote this.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Deebo on October 14, 2020, 05:00:12 PM
If there is a Canada division with no border crosssing, it can't be an 82 game season... can it?

That's average of like 13 games per opponent

This might be optimistic (or even very optimistic) but I would guess that the hope is maybe half way through the season or something either the government will allow the border to open for more people or maybe just the Canadian teams will be allowed to cross the border and come back after playing in the U.S. for like a month or something. That'll obviously be very difficult to plan for though since there will be no guarantee at the start of the season it'll be allowed.

In any event, an 82 game season definitely feels unlikely.

Bender

I've heard anywhere between 48 & 60 game seasons.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Quote from: Bender on October 14, 2020, 08:00:00 PM

Yeah, I've heard the same speculation.  48 to me makes the most sense. And it could very well be another hub scenario for the playoffs, unless there's vaccines made available to the players by April/May.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Frycer14 on October 14, 2020, 08:07:33 PM

Yeah, I've heard the same speculation.  48 to me makes the most sense. And it could very well be another hub scenario for the playoffs, unless there's vaccines made available to the players by April/May.
The fastest vaccine ever made was for the mumps and that took 4 years. People better get used to living with this for a while yet.

Nik

Quote from: Guilt Trip on October 14, 2020, 08:26:31 PMThe fastest vaccine ever made was for the mumps and that took 4 years. People better get used to living with this for a while yet.

There's a better thread for this talk but there's also never been resources poured into vaccine development like this. Lots of pretty respected people in the field have talked about guarded optimism for at least the development of a vaccine within the next year.

Anyways, something I think people need to consider is that if my understanding is correct the MOU the NHLPA signed guaranteed the players get a certain percentage of their next year's salary regardless of what happened to revenues so I'd expect the NHL to drop every last possible game they can out of things.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Bullfrog

Quote from: Frycer14 on October 14, 2020, 08:07:33 PM

Even if a vaccine is ready by then, uber-healthy athletes in their 20s and 30s are probably pretty low on the distribution list.

Then again, capitalism...

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

OldTimeHockey

Quote from: herman on October 14, 2020, 10:57:23 PM
https://twitter.com/maryprusak/status/1316547744534851589

I'd like to commend the zamboni driver for trying to get the unit off the ice while he was on fire. Have to make sure the ice doesn't melt.

CarltonTheBear

When I started seeing red on the ice after the zamboni I assumed something much, much worse was happening.

Zee

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on October 15, 2020, 10:23:31 AM
When I started seeing red on the ice after the zamboni I assumed something much, much worse was happening.

That was like Luke Skywalker leaving a trail of red

herman

Quote from: OldTimeHockey on October 15, 2020, 10:21:51 AM
I'd like to commend the zamboni driver for trying to get the unit off the ice while he was on fire. Have to make sure the ice doesn't melt.

Seriously. Isn't the fuel tank like next to or under his seat?
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

OldTimeHockey

Quote from: herman on October 15, 2020, 11:05:46 AM
Quote from: OldTimeHockey on October 15, 2020, 10:21:51 AM

Seriously. Isn't the fuel tank like next to or under his seat?

It's just propane. No big deal.