Author Topic: Round 1: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Montreal Canadiens  (Read 6061 times)

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Round 1: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Montreal Canadiens
« Reply #255 on: June 10, 2021, 09:36:59 AM »
We really want Jonathan Bernier back?  Really?

I wonder if we were a little harder on Bernier than we should have been. He had seasons with a .922 Sv%, 0.912, and then 0.908. And that worst year came during the tank-for-Matthews season so there's really nothing he could have done there. His save percentages... career, since the trade, and in the past couple seasons are pretty similar to Andersen's. And he's coming off a particularly good season with a bad Detroit team. He's not the top starter the team thought he might be when we acquired him all those years ago but he's rebounded as a pretty solid 1B type guy.

Not saying he'd be super high on my list since he might someone who has trouble playing on a team with a crazy fan base, just think he's a little underrated is all.

My recollection of Bernier was that he had a tendency to let in stoppable goals at inopportune times. Part of that is probably due to the terrible defensive play in front of him, but, nevertheless, it was a problem. I get the impression that, in a lower pressure role, he's improved some in that area.

He wouldn't be high on my list, but I wouldn't write him off, either.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »
There was this and it was too similar to Toskala's. Like this always seems to happen to us and never for us.
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2021, 09:57:54 AM »
I've always considered that a matter of teams being smarter with their goalies. I think they've realized that you can't run your number 1 dog as hard in the regular season if you want to have success in the post season.

There's some of that to it, as well. Either way, the traditional concept of a clear number 1 goalie is outdated.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2021, 10:00:40 AM »
There was this and it was too similar to Toskala's. Like this always seems to happen to us and never for us.

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQC-LLG6jWQ

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP2jTaU5K_o