Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 57765 times)

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1590 on: June 09, 2021, 11:42:15 AM »
My wife and I are getting our 2nd shot, will be Mrna either Moderna or Pfizer on the 26th, a Saturday, I noticed on the BC website that these centres are open every day. What a roll out, gotta say Canada has impressed me after a slow start.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 09, 2021, 12:43:47 PM »
My wife and I are getting our 2nd shot, will be Mrna either Moderna or Pfizer on the 26th, a Saturday, I noticed on the BC website that these centres are open every day. What a roll out, gotta say Canada has impressed me after a slow start.
For sure, they really turned it around. I heard today that people who've been fully vaccinated will no longer have to quarantine when they return from travel.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:45:25 PM by Guilt Trip »

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 09, 2021, 07:00:32 PM »
I have heard that this is true for the 14 day quarantine, not sure if we are completely free of the protocol or if it is just less days. 
I know when I travel for business in later July/early August we will still need to have negative Covid tests to enter the countries we are going to, which to me sound like utter BS.  Or are we still worried about variants after two shots?
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 09, 2021, 10:04:18 PM »
no vaccine is 100% effective. best to be cautious.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 09, 2021, 10:18:39 PM »
I have to say, while I've got nothing but good things to say about the people out there running clinics and administering shots the actual experience of booking things has been frustrating.

On Monday I tried to book my Mother's second shot of Pfizer through the Province. After a few hours of trying to get through on the phone I finally got someone who said the soonest I could get one is the 26th and the nearest one(she lives in downtown Toronto) was in Etobicoke.

Then today while just goofing off on twitter the Vaccine Hunters account posted something for a clinic in Toronto, with dozens of appointments available on Saturday. A few clicks and I booked it.

I genuinely don't understand how this could be so badly managed. How could there be this much of a disconnect?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:22:51 PM by Nik »
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 10, 2021, 12:23:09 AM »
Ya. Similar experience. I booked way before my wife but she ends up getting hers before me. The pharmacy just called her and asked if she wanted to come down that day.

I also find the messaging confusing. I went on the gov't's site to book my 2nd shot because "accelerated 2nd doses are available for everyone!" I go through the application and it tells me I'm not eligible for my 2nd shot yet. Ya, that's why i'm booking it FOR THE FUTURE.

I'm going to see if I can book for my son who is 11.75 years old. Apparently if I phone I should be able to book his first shot.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 10, 2021, 05:23:00 AM »
I have to say, while I've got nothing but good things to say about the people out there running clinics and administering shots the actual experience of booking things has been frustrating.

On Monday I tried to book my Mother's second shot of Pfizer through the Province. After a few hours of trying to get through on the phone I finally got someone who said the soonest I could get one is the 26th and the nearest one(she lives in downtown Toronto) was in Etobicoke.

Then today while just goofing off on twitter the Vaccine Hunters account posted something for a clinic in Toronto, with dozens of appointments available on Saturday. A few clicks and I booked it.

I genuinely don't understand how this could be so badly managed. How could there be this much of a disconnect?

My wife worked hard on Monday morning to book her mother. And she was unable to get through on the computer(kept crashing) and the phones all day. At 6pm, I jumped into help. I tried her Mother first and her account was blocked(too many tries they said) so I then tried my wife(also eligible) and got in at 8pm on Tuesday night. Very frustrating. That night my wife finally got through on the phone and the earliest they could get her in was July 3rd. What the heck?!?

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 10, 2021, 09:02:11 AM »
Basically just avoid the provincial layer, which was supposed to be a central system for convenience but they're struggling.

https://vaccinehunters.ca or go through your local public health unit's system.

There's this as well for Ontarians:
http://globalnews.ca/news/7826164/ontario-texting-tool-nearest-covid-vaccination-sites/
Text 1-833-356-1683 your postal code for your nearest vaccination site and sign up urls.
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Online L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 10, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »
I have heard that this is true for the 14 day quarantine, not sure if we are completely free of the protocol or if it is just less days. 
I know when I travel for business in later July/early August we will still need to have negative Covid tests to enter the countries we are going to, which to me sound like utter BS.  Or are we still worried about variants after two shots?

Yes.  We are still worried about variants.  Coverage based on existing variants is solid but with so many countries basically doing nothing to prevent COVID (either due to lack of resources/infrastructure or outright obstinance) the potential for new variants that are resistant to the vaccine is too high.  It's so easy for something like this to fall into a slippery slope scenario.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: June 10, 2021, 09:50:50 AM »
Basically just avoid the provincial layer, which was supposed to be a central system for convenience but they're struggling.

The other thing, and this is more of a hunch than anything as I can't prove it, but in following the vaccine hunters on twitter I've seen roughly 100x more announcements for vaccines(sometimes lots and lots available) in the areas surrounding Toronto than I have for the city proper(and I've seen virtually none for what a snob like me considers downtown Toronto).

Despite that, it's not like the people I know are having the easiest time getting vaccinated in the city so I can't help but feel as though someone has maybe misjudged demand throughout the GTA and sent more than is needed to the 905.

But again, could just be confirmation bias there.
- Sean Doolittle

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: June 10, 2021, 09:59:35 AM »

The other thing, and this is more of a hunch than anything as I can't prove it, but in following the vaccine hunters on twitter I've seen roughly 100x more announcements for vaccines(sometimes lots and lots available) in the areas surrounding Toronto than I have for the city proper(and I've seen virtually none for what a snob like me considers downtown Toronto).

Despite that, it's not like the people I know are having the easiest time getting vaccinated in the city so I can't help but feel as though someone has maybe misjudged demand throughout the GTA and sent more than is needed to the 905.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-19-vaccination-postal-code-hot-spots-1.5983155
sus
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: June 10, 2021, 10:14:34 AM »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-19-vaccination-postal-code-hot-spots-1.5983155
sus

Yeah, I get that but now that Vaccines aren't quite as scarce as they used to be it still kind of feels like they've been wrong about raw numbers needed in various areas.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 10, 2021, 10:14:55 AM »

sus

That was written in early April, FYI.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: June 10, 2021, 10:24:50 AM »
Just indicates where the priorities are, fundamentally, don't it? i.e. public health is not truly at the top of the list
#BeBlessed

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: June 10, 2021, 12:26:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about the problems back home (I am from Ontario). 
In BC it been very well managed, my son had a booking for May 26 but was leaving to Jasper for a job on May 22nd, so we went down to the community centre and explained the situation on May18.  The nurse said they usually have 3 or 4 doses left at the end of the day from people who don't show up for their appointment.   Within an hour we received a phone call saying to get him in asap. He was done the same day, just hours later.  Really, really nice folks.
                                           Sunryn Suzuki