Maple Leafs News and Views > Leafs Rumours & Speculation

Thornton Watch

<< < (4/10) > >>

CarltonTheBear:
HC Davos confirms that Joe Thornton has rejoined the team. He'll use the time in the Swiss league to prepare for his 23rd NHL season.— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) October 15, 2020
--- End quote ---

Wouldn't be the first time a big centreman spent some time playing in Switzerland before coming back to play with the Leafs.

RedLeaf:
I don?t know how much Thornton could really contribute at this phase of his career but it certainly would be exciting seeing him in a Leaf uniform.

And if it did happen it proves Dubas isn?t affected by being jilted the first time around. (See TJ Brodie)

CarltonTheBear:
Just wanted to demonstrate how the Leafs could fit Thornton into our cap structure, this is currently what the roster would look like:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
______-______-Simmonds
Robertson-Spezza-Engvall

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Lehtonen-Bogosian
_____

Andersen
Campbell

3 blank spaces for Thornton, Mikheyev, and Dermott with $3,588,967 in available cap space. If Engvall is sent down and replaced with Vesey then it's $3,763,967 in available cap space. I think you could split either of those 3 ways between those 3 players, unless Mikheyev gets a bigger than expected arbitration award like $2mil.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Thornton is eligible for performance bonuses in his contract because he's older than 35. I don't think this is something that Leafs would be too interested in doing since the bonuses might spill over to 21/22 but it's an option.

Zee:

--- Quote from: CarltonTheBear on October 15, 2020, 10:01:21 AM ---HC Davos confirms that Joe Thornton has rejoined the team. He'll use the time in the Swiss league to prepare for his 23rd NHL season.— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) October 15, 2020
--- End quote ---

Wouldn't be the first time a big centreman spent some time playing in Switzerland before coming back to play with the Leafs.

--- End quote ---

So leaving SJ to play somewhere else for an extended period of time doesn't seem to be an issue.

Nik:
Thornton's wife is Swiss and he's got Swiss citizenship. So it's probably a case of them just living in a different one of their houses as opposed to moving.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version