Author Topic: Johnsson traded to the Devils  (Read 2364 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Johnsson traded to the Devils
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »
#BeBlessed

Offline .

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2020, 07:58:10 PM »
I think he?s a spare for now, like Boyd. Might be one of those AHL get?em before they break out checking forwards (Coleman - scoring)

Definitely going to be groomed for the role Kapanen vacated, but with more brains.

I had a feeling Dubas was hunting for these types of pieces before they ripen (and get free agent expensive).

Just because Dubas acquires someone no one's heard of doesn't automatically mean he's a diamond in the rough every time.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2020, 08:03:09 PM »
I think he?s a spare for now, like Boyd. Might be one of those AHL get?em before they break out checking forwards (Coleman - scoring)

Definitely going to be groomed for the role Kapanen vacated, but with more brains.

I had a feeling Dubas was hunting for these types of pieces before they ripen (and get free agent expensive).

Just because Dubas acquires someone no one's heard of doesn't automatically mean he's a diamond in the rough every time.

Sure but it?s a 1-for-1 trade. Every manager is looking for a diamond in the rough in these deals.
#BeBlessed

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2020, 08:04:42 PM »
I'm gonna say it, Leafs are signing Hall.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2020, 08:05:16 PM »
I hope Johnsson finds a good fit on Hischier?s wing and pots 30.

Wouldn't that make this a really bad trade then?

If your teams gets what it needs, does it really matter how much better they perform when given more opportunity they could not receive here?

Similar to Leivo and Brown, Johnsson?s got a really good shot at carving out a top line spot with a team that plays a stylistic fit for him (at least offensively).

Well I would say that if you invested the money in the player that then forced you to move said player for pennies on the dollar, then that might come across as poor asset management.

I get the Leafs won't win every trade, but if you give up a 30 goal scorer and the player you get back can't play in the NHL them I think that might go in to the loss category because somewhere along the line player evaluation has failed.

Look at the Panarin for Saad deal.  Chicago thought they were getting what their team needed.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2020, 08:17:54 PM »
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020/10/11/andreas-johnsson-traded-to-the-new-jersey-devils-in-exchange-for-joey-anderson/

While Anderson isn?t the biggest player in stature, he has a strong and thick base, which makes him difficult to separate from the puck. He also likes to bring a physical style of play in all areas of the ice.
#BeBlessed

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2020, 08:19:18 PM »
What Nik said hits it on the head, but still this has a Kadri-ish odor about it.  I think Dubas is better at signing FAs than trading people.

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2020, 08:22:12 PM »
Kerfoot for Kadri next? I say yes. Reality however might be against me.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2020, 08:27:47 PM »
What Nik said hits it on the head, but still this has a Kadri-ish odor about it.  I think Dubas is better at signing FAs than trading people.

I was actually going to say the other way around.  I think that Dubas is pretty good at getting what he wants out of a deal.  The Kadri deal didn't work out, but he got what he wanted from it in a right shot defenceman that could move the puck, and a third line center with some versatility.  The Kapanen deal was also pretty good. 

Even in this deal, I think that Dubas maximized what he could get for the player.  However, the contracts that Dubas gives out seem to be fair deals for the players, and in a cap world that gets you in to trouble after a while.  I think that either it was a mistake to give Johnsson that contract last year, or it was a mistake to trade him for the amount that he did.

If Johnsson outperforms his deal, then he probably didn't get enough for a player that is on a cheap contract for a couple more seasons.  If Johnsson under performs, then that would mean his deal is an over payment.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2020, 08:36:16 PM »

I was actually going to say the other way around.  I think that Dubas is pretty good at getting what he wants out of a deal.  The Kadri deal didn't work out, but he got what he wanted from it in a right shot defenceman that could move the puck, and a third line center with some versatility.  The Kapanen deal was also pretty good. 

Even in this deal, I think that Dubas maximized what he could get for the player.  However, the contracts that Dubas gives out seem to be fair deals for the players, and in a cap world that gets you in to trouble after a while.  I think that either it was a mistake to give Johnsson that contract last year, or it was a mistake to trade him for the amount that he did.

If Johnsson outperforms his deal, then he probably didn't get enough for a player that is on a cheap contract for a couple more seasons.  If Johnsson under performs, then that would mean his deal is an over payment.

Too early to say about Kapanen, but going back to Kadri he's now traded three top 6 forwards and got 1 top 6 forward (Kerfoot) back (so far) + Barrie who was exactly what the team didn't need.  Of course Hallander and Amirov are in the future.

I would have preferred a Johnsson for picks deal.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2020, 08:41:16 PM »
The middle class is what gets shed in a cap situation. Yeah we lost the offensive player value equation of this trade, but we got cap space for TJ Brodie and the exact type of player many people wanted Dubas to spend draft picks on (big butt bangers, but with less wait time), for a 7th rounder Dubas invested enough development into to yield a 20-g NHL winger.

Kadri, Johnsson, and Kapanen needed more ice time to max out, but that?s not worth taking time away from Tavares, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. They could not do what the Leafs hoped they could do with less. So they are pivoting to a more traditional bottom 6 arrangement.

This is part of a net gain.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 08:43:43 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »
The middle class is what gets shed in a cap situation. Yeah we lost the offensive player value equation of this trade, but we got cap space for TJ Brodie and the exact type of player many people wanted Dubas to spend draft picks on (big butt bangers, but with less wait time), for a 7th rounder Dubas invested enough development into to yield a 20-g NHL winger.

I don't think many people wanted Dubas to spend draft picks on small grinder types with so-so offensive potential, regardless of the size of their butts.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2020, 09:00:10 PM »
Why did they rush a cap dump? I felt like he might have some value with teams running out of FA options.

The flip side is that as teams commit cap space to FA's there'll be less teams willing to take on money. My hunch is that if the front office got the sense that there was serious interest in Johnsson from multiple teams, you'd have seen them hold on a while.
Absolutely Nik. They need to dump when they can. You don't want to have to find a dance partner late in the evening and end up with no partner.
Robertson makes Johnsson expendable.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:42:27 PM by Guilt Trip »

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2020, 09:16:28 PM »
Love Mango time in TO. Great guy.

Cap hell casualty. Wishing him all the best.
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile