Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Ukraine

Started by Highlander, February 24, 2022, 01:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herman

Quote from: L K on March 04, 2022, 09:00:13 AM
Nuclear weapons have been viewed as a deterrent to war but here they are being used to enable a country to commit war crimes.  How many war crimes breaks the threshold of having gone too far?

Sort of why no one else does anything (other than join with) when the US takes military action against another country under the auspices of some higher moral ground.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

bustaheims

Quote from: L K on March 04, 2022, 09:00:13 AM
I don't want any war.  I'm just not really seeing a scenario here where Putin stops at this point.

Same. Unless it becomes crystal clear to him that this is a failed endeavor (and I'm not sure he's every going to see it that way), I don't see him stopping at just taking over Ukraine. He's smart enough to not directly engage any members of NATO until he absolutely has to, but he's absolutely going to invade Moldova. Then, what's stopping him from doing the same with Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, etc.? A direct armed conflict feel inevitable at this point.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Arn

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1499736956674129923

"NATOs core task is to keep our 30 nations safe. We are not part of this conflict. And we have a responsibility to ensure it does not escalate & spread beyond Ukraine, because that would be even more devastating & dangerous, with even more human suffering"
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

princedpw

To me, this suggests that the sanctions are having a huge impact:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/04/business/lukoil-end-war/index.html

Lukoil calls for end to war.

On the other hand, I read the grim news suggesting that no matter what we do Putin might decide he wants to nuke Ukraine anyway.

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

CarltonTheBear

That's so wild that there's a part of me that wonders if the picture might actually be fake.

Significantly Insignificant

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on March 04, 2022, 03:15:20 PM
That's so wild that there's a part of me that wonders if the picture might actually be fake.

Go look at Ovechkin's instragram avatar.
"We can't change what's done, we can only move on." - Arthur Morgan

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Significantly Insignificant on March 04, 2022, 03:58:31 PM

Yeah I know about that but what, did Ovi say he's going to break his contract and bolt to the KHL if he sees a blue and yellow flag in the stands? This decision would have had a lot more to do than just him.

Significantly Insignificant

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on March 04, 2022, 04:50:23 PM
Quote from: Significantly Insignificant on March 04, 2022, 03:58:31 PM

Yeah I know about that but what, did Ovi say he's going to break his contract and bolt to the KHL if he sees a blue and yellow flag in the stands? This decision would have had a lot more to do than just him.

Oh yeah I agree.  It was more about the wild comment.  I believe the media in Washington has asked Ovechkin some pointed questions, so maybe the Caps are just trying to get out in front of it.  The next question though is how are the Caps going to feel when they play in an arena that is singing the national anthem of Ukraine?
"We can't change what's done, we can only move on." - Arthur Morgan

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

If symphony orchestras are cutting ties with Putin supporters...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Heroic Shrimp

https://twitter.com/trenttelenko/status/1499894935209795594

Amazing thread about Russian lack of preparedness on the ground.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

L K

The Russian strategic approach has been bizarre but they are countering that by increasing their artillery fire at civilians. 

Evacuation lanes were negotiated.  Russia fired on them on the first morning they were supposed to be considered safe zones and evacuation had to be halted.

Bender

Quote from: L K on March 05, 2022, 09:33:32 AM
The Russian strategic approach has been bizarre but they are countering that by increasing their artillery fire at civilians. 

Evacuation lanes were negotiated.  Russia fired on them on the first morning they were supposed to be considered safe zones and evacuation had to be halted.
War crimes up the wazoo.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

L K

Zelensky has a meeting with US congress. 

Joe Manchin and Marco Rubio post photos of Zelensky despite requests not to to protect his location.   Absolutely stupid a-holes.

Heroic Shrimp

Quote from: L K on March 05, 2022, 07:29:15 PM
Zelensky has a meeting with US congress. 

Joe Manchin and Marco Rubio post photos of Zelensky despite requests not to to protect his location.   Absolutely stupid a-holes.
So thoroughly shameless. There's no low these guys can't hit.
Supersize my Freedom Fries