It's FREE to join and post in our forums.  Click to join now!

Armchair GM 2019-2020

Started by herman, May 23, 2019, 10:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: L K on February 23, 2020, 10:35:49 AM
Quote from: bustaheims on February 23, 2020, 10:13:33 AM
Quote from: Guilt Trip on February 23, 2020, 09:31:57 AM
Dubas isn't getting fired if they miss. Who are you trading Marner or Nylander for? You don't trade just to send a message. I thought Keefe should have benched 16 and 88 last night. You're top money players aren't allowed to play like they did.

Agreed. Trading a long-term piece to send a message isn't how you make the team better, it's how you get them stuck in the cycle of never being good enough. Yes, the team needs a wake up call, but there are better ways to accomplish that. If you move a core piece, it has to be a 100% objective, analytical, and thought out move, not an emotional one.

I'm think they probably need to.   It's an offseason move though, not one for the trade deadline tomorrow.
They may very well need to but you better be getting a Seth Jones type D man back.
  •  

Nik

Quote from: Guilt Trip on February 23, 2020, 09:31:57 AM
Dubas isn't getting fired if they miss.

Before last night I'd have agreed 100%. Now, I'm honestly 50-50.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi
  •  

Stebro

#362
I think that Dubas knows that if the leafs miss the playoffs his job can definately be at stake, the question is if it will have an impact on potential moves before the deadline. I know that Marner, Nylander etc are long term pieces, but when Marner talks so much about effort, and Nylander also is an on and off player, and Matthews says "we just kind of quit", it makes me question whether we build around the right characters or not. We need a better group of leaders. I don't think that this is just a case of being young.
  •  

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Nik Bethune on February 23, 2020, 11:35:37 AM
Quote from: Guilt Trip on February 23, 2020, 09:31:57 AM
Dubas isn't getting fired if they miss.

Before last night I'd have agreed 100%. Now, I'm honestly 50-50.
Not happening 100% this year. If this was next year and back to back misses, then probably. He will be given time to shore up the D and right the wrongs.
  •  

Nik

Quote from: Guilt Trip on February 23, 2020, 11:46:40 AM
Not happening 100% this year.

Like I said, I'm 50-50. I think there's going to be a strong push to hold someone accountable for this if they can't even salvage a playoff spot.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi
  •  

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Stebro on February 23, 2020, 11:43:32 AM
I think that Dubas knows that if the leafs miss the playoffs his job can definately be at stake, the question is if it will have an impact on potential moves before the deadline. I know that Marner, Nylander etc are long term pieces, but when Marner talks so much about effort, and Nylander also is an on and off player, and Matthews says "we just kind of quit", it makes me question whether we build around the right characters or not. We need a better group of leaders. I don't think that this is just a case of being young.
Dubas is going to stick to his overall plan. He's not going to make knee jerk trades. Matthews said we kind of quit back in Nov I believe. I haven't seen him quit since. He's arguably been our most consistent player all year and def since Keefe took over. I've said it before, Marner is my biggest concern because he's been "off" or trying to live up to his contract when he should just play. He doesn't have to be a 10 mill player every shift. As for Willy, he's been pretty bad since the flu bug especially in his own end. If you watch him, he stands around a lot not covering anyone and struggles at time getting the puck out. His compete level against the boards at times in also non existent. That's an issue and adds to the JT's line struggles defensively.
  •  

Highlander

Quote from: KadriFan on February 23, 2020, 10:15:15 AM
I'd love to see Dubas get bold.  Maybe JT for Petry and Domi.  Things need to get shook up a bit in the top 6.
Actually I was never a fan of the JT signing (I never got him on the Island), think it was more of a Leafs coming out statement.  I would imagine he has some pretty stringent no trade clauses in his agreement? 
I like the move if we could make it.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki
  •  

Guilt Trip

  •  

Highlander

Thought so, Leaf for Life, he is capable of much better play and leadership.  Time to bring it on Johnny T.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki
  •  

CarltonTheBear

  •  

L K

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on February 23, 2020, 05:06:28 PM
https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1231682883049279488
https://twitter.com/Account4hockey/status/1231682422066077709

For the record I would be very happy to be wrong about Barrie's trade value.

I mean deadline prices are sometimes crazy but if we get anything near that I'm ecstatic.  Kapanen + 1st + prospects is probably a package good enough to get a decent defenseman too.
  •  

Guilt Trip

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on February 23, 2020, 05:06:28 PM
https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1231682883049279488
https://twitter.com/Account4hockey/status/1231682422066077709

For the record I would be very happy to be wrong about Barrie's trade value.
Pins and needles!!!!! Not.
What do you think Barrie could get? I'm not sure he could get a 1st but who knows. On the right team  Barrie could be a huge add.
  •  

Zee

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on February 23, 2020, 05:06:28 PM
https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1231682883049279488
https://twitter.com/Account4hockey/status/1231682422066077709

For the record I would be very happy to be wrong about Barrie's trade value.


Only Jim Benning would give up a first and good prospect for Barrie. Unless it's a trade + sign that makes 0 sense for the Canucks
  •  

Guilt Trip

Quote from: L K on February 23, 2020, 05:12:42 PM
I mean deadline prices are sometimes crazy but if we get anything near that I'm ecstatic.  Kapanen + 1st + prospects is probably a package good enough to get a decent defenseman too.
I think you could get Dumba for something like that. Maybe Johnsson goes instead? Who knows tho, I like Kappy and all but I'd like a top RHD more.
  •  

bustaheims

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on February 23, 2020, 05:06:28 PM
For the record I would be very happy to be wrong about Barrie's trade value.

;D ;D ;D
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
  •