Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Sports Talk Radio Thread

Started by Derk, July 28, 2011, 08:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Heroic Shrimp

I can't understand what compelled somebody in charge to give Dean Blundell a sports radio morning show.  He isn't funny and he isn't particularly knowledgeable or insightful about sports.  I really have no idea what talents he's supposed to be bringing to the table.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Peter D.

Quote from: Heroic Shrimp on April 13, 2015, 10:48:31 PM
I can't understand what compelled somebody in charge to give Dean Blundell a sports radio morning show.  He isn't funny and he isn't particularly knowledgeable or insightful about sports.  I really have no idea what talents he's supposed to be bringing to the table.

He's "hip" and will bring in the younger crowd. Exactly the type of characteristic Rogers likes when handing out their high profiled sports media positions.

Nik

Quote from: Heroic Shrimp on April 13, 2015, 10:48:31 PM
I can't understand what compelled somebody in charge to give Dean Blundell a sports radio morning show.  He isn't funny and he isn't particularly knowledgeable or insightful about sports.  I really have no idea what talents he's supposed to be bringing to the table.

How many hires do you think our local sports radio stations make based on people being especially insightful?
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Derk

I stopped listening to sports talk in the morning for a few weeks. Blundell didn't really do anything for me, but I found "George Who?" to be particularly annoying - what is it with sports talk that requires these contentious loudmouths? Walker was another that I found particularly grating (but have to admit having him paired with Brady worked, because they sort of offset each other). Listening to Brady pick on Lang was just sad.

Nik


McCown looking for new Co-host

I thought this article was worth a look to see just how petty grown men can be. It's a little disappointing as Stephen Brunt was one of the genuinely few sports talk guys who was, well, not a moron and I liked hearing him talk about a wider range of stuff than just the Blue Jays.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Heroic Shrimp

Quote from: Nik the Trik on September 16, 2015, 01:35:41 PM

McCown looking for new Co-host

I thought this article was worth a look to see just how petty grown men can be. It's a little disappointing as Stephen Brunt was one of the genuinely few sports talk guys who was, well, not a moron and I liked hearing him talk about a wider range of stuff than just the Blue Jays.

Me too.  I'll listen to Steven Brunt talk about any sports, whether I'm otherwise interested in them about them or not.  The good news is you can now catch him daily on 590 from 9-11am as co-host of the Jeff Blair show.  That's in improvement for me, because I'd only intermittently be able to catch him on Prime Time.  Now I can hear him daily.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

L K

Quote from: Nik the Trik on September 16, 2015, 01:35:41 PM

McCown looking for new Co-host

I thought this article was worth a look to see just how petty grown men can be. It's a little disappointing as Stephen Brunt was one of the genuinely few sports talk guys who was, well, not a moron and I liked hearing him talk about a wider range of stuff than just the Blue Jays.

Is McCown even relevant anymore.  I mean I know he likes to talk about things other than hockey which was nice but I find that far too often he's condescending about most things unless he's actively interviewing when he becomes a suck-up until they are off the air.  I don't always want to listen to Tim&Sid style broadcasting because I find it's sometimes too loud and feels like I'm listening to a US disc jockey but McCown's show was always valuable to me because of guys like Brunt.  When he has some of his other regulars it seems like a pretty mediocre/bad show.

Nik

Quote from: L K on September 22, 2015, 11:56:36 AM
Is McCown even relevant anymore.  I mean I know he likes to talk about things other than hockey which was nice but I find that far too often he's condescending about most things unless he's actively interviewing when he becomes a suck-up until they are off the air.  I don't always want to listen to Tim&Sid style broadcasting because I find it's sometimes too loud and feels like I'm listening to a US disc jockey but McCown's show was always valuable to me because of guys like Brunt.  When he has some of his other regulars it seems like a pretty mediocre/bad show.

I still think there are some reasonably bright people who are on his show from time to time. Friedman and Grange spring to mind. Also, I think he deserves some credit for taking an active interest in the issues in sports beyond "So who's got the best defense in the league?" but I don't care much for him individually.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Derk

Anyone know why the FAN was playing US sports talk last night while the Raptors game was on? I was driving home and found myself hearing a bunch of american radio ads and was wondering what was going on.

I know Rogers has cut some staff recently (Brady and Sammut among them) and I immediately wondered if this had anything to do with the lack of programming. I can see having this kind of programming on the overnight slot, but at 7pm on a Sunday? Guess not many people listen at that time.

seahawk


Dappleganger

#130
Changes coming to the Sporstnet 590, 650, 960 Radio stations. To be continued....

590 Changes:

https://twitter.com/SportsnetPR/status/1443266979574452225?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Heroic Shrimp

Quote from: Dappleganger on September 29, 2021, 01:47:35 PM
Changes coming to the Sporstnet 590, 650, 960 Radio stations. To be continued....

590 Changes:

https://twitter.com/SportsnetPR/status/1443266979574452225?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
It's astonishing to me that people in charge thought that Kypreos would be an upgrade over literally anybody as the co-host of a radio show.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Heroic Shrimp on November 03, 2021, 09:05:09 AM
It's astonishing to me that people in charge thought that Kypreos would be an upgrade over literally anybody as the co-host of a radio show.

Clearly none of these people had watched his youtube show/podcast he did after getting let go.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Heroic Shrimp on November 03, 2021, 09:05:09 AM
Quote from: Dappleganger on September 29, 2021, 01:47:35 PM
Changes coming to the Sporstnet 590, 650, 960 Radio stations. To be continued....

590 Changes:

https://twitter.com/SportsnetPR/status/1443266979574452225?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
It's astonishing to me that people in charge thought that Kypreos would be an upgrade over literally anybody as the co-host of a radio show.
Not the biggest fan of Kypreos but I do like Justin Bourne. He can break down plays etc very well.

Heroic Shrimp

Quote from: Guilt Trip on November 03, 2021, 10:28:23 AM
Quote from: Heroic Shrimp on November 03, 2021, 09:05:09 AM
Quote from: Dappleganger on September 29, 2021, 01:47:35 PM
Changes coming to the Sporstnet 590, 650, 960 Radio stations. To be continued....

590 Changes:

https://twitter.com/SportsnetPR/status/1443266979574452225?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
It's astonishing to me that people in charge thought that Kypreos would be an upgrade over literally anybody as the co-host of a radio show.
Not the biggest fan of Kypreos but I do like Justin Bourne. He can break down plays etc very well.
Oh, I like Bourne, too. It's a shame who he's saddled with.
Supersize my Freedom Fries