Author Topic: Bobby Ryan available?  (Read 5927 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Ryan available?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 06:29:35 PM »
I think McGuire has a bit more class than some of you are giving him - he is pretty tight with a lot of players and its never been his MO to just make things up to glorify himself...he's not Dregger. I'll take his opinion over a baseless internet rumor all day long.

He's a well known flip-flopper who has a tendency so go on local radio and say a whole bunch of stuff their fans want to hear and then say completely different stuff the next day in another city.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »
I think McGuire has a bit more class than some of you are giving him - he is pretty tight with a lot of players and its never been his MO to just make things up to glorify himself...he's not Dregger. I'll take his opinion over a baseless internet rumor all day long.

I like Maguire as well, but he does taint some of the things that he says based on the market he is talking too.  He may hold information back, or spin it a certain way depending on who he is talking too.  I do not believe that he makes things up however.

He was doing a game about 4 years ago between the Rangers and the Pens.  Gomez high sticked Crosby, and Crosby flung his head back.  All three announcers said that Crosby was diving and that he had to get that out of his game and that he couldn't act like he was getting shot all the time.  They showed the replay, and Gomez's stick was actually in Crosby's mouth.  All three of the announcers kinda went "Hunh, would you look at that."   At the end of the game Maguire interviews Crosby, and the first thing he says is "On that play where Gomez highsticked you, I said you dove.  I'm sorry about that, I made a mistake."  I always thought that was a pretty stand up thing to do.  Most media types don't apologize for the things they say.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 06:43:20 PM »
Anyone who makes $ off saying things like "kablam" is ok by me

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Diamond Weapon
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »

yeah, but he also did this - http://youtu.be/R8v8C3scwvg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »

Man, I wish the Leafs could draft someone like EK.  There lack of ability to draft elite talent confounds me.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »
A curious comment from Burke during last year's Lupul/Gardiner Beauchemin presser regarding Bobby...

Considering Lupul's place in Anaheim... "he's playing behind guys like Corey Perry and Bobby Ryan... on the right side.... Bobby plays all over the place but "

...around 2:55

Not an attribution one way or the other, still. ;)
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 01:26:16 PM »
Of all the players rumored to be on the move this summer you have to think that Ryan would be on the very top of Burke's list.

What would it take for Anaheim to move him?

Would the number 5 pick, and a Schenn/Kadri deal do it?
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
Of all the players rumored to be on the move this summer you have to think that Ryan would be on the very top of Burke's list.

I think before you do this, you have to be very sure that Carlyle and Ryan can co-exist.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
To be honest, I think their #6 overall pick is more attainable, maybe not horribly expensive and preferable.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »

I think before you do this, you have to be very sure that Carlyle and Ryan can co-exist.

Thats why we signed Dallas Eakins to a 3 yr deal.   8)
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »
At the end of the game Maguire interviews Crosby, and the first thing he says is "On that play where Gomez highsticked you, I said you dove.  I'm sorry about that, I made a mistake."  I always thought that was a pretty stand up thing to do.  Most media types don't apologize for the things they say.

That's nice he apologized, but the fact he chose to do it on air takes a lot of the class out of it, IMO.  He should have just gone to Crosby privately and talked to him instead of using a big stage to show some false humility.

He tries to toe the line between media and "hockey guy" all the time and has to keep his channels open in the event one day some owner loses his mind and hires him as a GM.   

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 02:46:47 PM »
At the end of the game Maguire interviews Crosby, and the first thing he says is "On that play where Gomez highsticked you, I said you dove.  I'm sorry about that, I made a mistake."  I always thought that was a pretty stand up thing to do.  Most media types don't apologize for the things they say.

That's nice he apologized, but the fact he chose to do it on air takes a lot of the class out of it, IMO.  He should have just gone to Crosby privately and talked to him instead of using a big stage to show some false humility.

He tries to toe the line between media and "hockey guy" all the time and has to keep his channels open in the event one day some owner loses his mind and hires him as a GM.

Depends on if it was false or not.  One of my pet peeves with media types nowadays is that their is very little accountability in their field.  Also, if you try and point out the lack of accountability, you are suddenly "attacking" the media...

If it was false, then yes, it would be a poor move.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 07:52:23 PM »
Bob McKenzie just read comments from Ryan.  They were not complimentary.

Offline No.92

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »
Bob McKenzie just read comments from Ryan.  They were not complimentary.

What were they?  I don't have TSN/Sportsnet

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile