Author Topic: Luongo  (Read 135096 times)

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Luongo
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
Call it gut instinct, but I have a feeling Luongo winds up in New Jersey if Brodeur decides to hang it up after these playoffs...

Didn't Marty already say he'll play another year?  I thought I had heard something to that effect...

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
Luongo
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »
Call it gut instinct, but I have a feeling Luongo winds up in New Jersey if Brodeur decides to hang it up after these playoffs...

Didn't Marty already say he'll play another year?  I thought I had heard something to that effect...

Last I heard was he hadn't decided yet but is leaning towards coming back.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »

I think he said he hadn't ruled out playing another year, but, I don't recall seeing anything as definite as what you're saying.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »
Anything from the Fan590 is pure wild speculation. Also, anything from a guy calling himself $lacker is as well.

You're telling me $lacker isn't reliable??  ;D

I can't see the Canucks getting a huge haul for Luongo with his 99 year contract left (I exaggerate to clarify)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »
Luongo's value is kind of hard to judge. On one had, he's one of the top goalies in the NHL. On the other hand, he's 33, has 10 years left on his contract, a NTC clause, limited suitors, and is in a situation where his team almost has to move him. On top of that, Vancouver almost certainly has to deal with the Schneider situation before they can finalize any Luongo deal. He's not going to net the Canucks the return the Vancouver media and fans are talking about, but he's also likely to bring in more than "a couple of middling prospects" or the other similar proposals that have been bandied about.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
The following was posted on the Canucks fan forum web site regarding a trade of Luongo to Toronto:

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To
by $lacker on Wed May 30, 2012 10:01 pm

TDA Rum wrote:
Do you know what the return will be, Slacker?

I do know the sticking point is Gardiner... Both GM's know Gardiner = Shultz as well so it's like getting a 2 for 1. I spoke to this person again on the weekend but they wouldn't give me anything more. 5th overall plus Gardiner and Shultz would be a very nice haul. Fan 590 in Toronto was reporting 1st, Schenn, and Gardiner this morning, but that would be a true pillaging!

Now fans have been known to have unrealistic appraisals of a player's worth,  but did the Fan 590 actually report that trade?????  If Burke did that, being fired would be he least of his problems.

If Schenn OR Gardiner OR our first are traded for Luongo, it is a steal.

I seriously doubt Gardiner is going anywhere, especially if there's any truth to the fact that Schultz may come to Toronto based on his friendship with him. Schenn and Komi would look good in Vancouver Canucks uniforms. ;)
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »
The following was posted on the Canucks fan forum web site regarding a trade of Luongo to Toronto:

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To
by $lacker on Wed May 30, 2012 10:01 pm

TDA Rum wrote:
Do you know what the return will be, Slacker?

I do know the sticking point is Gardiner... Both GM's know Gardiner = Shultz as well so it's like getting a 2 for 1. I spoke to this person again on the weekend but they wouldn't give me anything more. 5th overall plus Gardiner and Shultz would be a very nice haul. Fan 590 in Toronto was reporting 1st, Schenn, and Gardiner this morning, but that would be a true pillaging!

Now fans have been known to have unrealistic appraisals of a player's worth,  but did the Fan 590 actually report that trade?????  If Burke did that, being fired would be he least of his problems.

Boo'urns.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 01:52:30 PM »
Luongo's value is kind of hard to judge. On one had, he's one of the top goalies in the NHL. On the other hand, he's 33, has 10 years left on his contract, a NTC clause, limited suitors, and is in a situation where his team almost has to move him. On top of that, Vancouver almost certainly has to deal with the Schneider situation before they can finalize any Luongo deal. He's not going to net the Canucks the return the Vancouver media and fans are talking about, but he's also likely to bring in more than "a couple of middling prospects" or the other similar proposals that have been bandied about.

Burke would be wiser to just sign Vokoun for nothing instead of giving up significant pieces for Lou.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »
Burke would be wiser to just sign Vokoun for nothing instead of giving up significant pieces for Lou.

I'm sure that's an option he's considering, depending on Vokoun's health, willingness to sign here, etc.

Offline crazyperfectdevil

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »
that's BS ..no way burke gives up that much ..the leafs are pretty high on gardiner right now ...luongo isn't worth it..not at that price point

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »
that's BS ..no way burke gives up that much ..the leafs are pretty high on gardiner right now ...luongo isn't worth it..not at that price point

Given the chilly relationship between Gillis and Burke, one can only assume that Gillis is attempting to ask for as much as possible an Buke is attempting to give up as little as possible.  Where those two meet (if at all) remains to be seen.  I'd like to see Burke stick to his guns and realize that Vancouver is the team that needs to make the trade whereas the Leafs have other options either through trade with some other team or free agency.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 02:19:39 PM »

That is certainly what helps drive down the price for Luongo, when Burke can simply say he would rather overpay Vokoun on a one-year deal at $5 mil than risk the Luongo contract that could bury him AND give up key assets in the process. 

There are 3-4 teams Luongo is willing to go to. That alone cripples the market, let alone other options out there

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 02:38:58 PM »

I know it goes without saying but this is a case where Luongo's value is going to be entirely dependent on the number of teams after him. If there's a San Jose or a Chicago or someone out there willing to deal a good young player for Luongo then Vancouver's going to do alright and, personally, I'd want Burke to stay away.

But it's just as realistic that there's nobody out there. If Toronto is bidding against nobody and can basically pawn people off on Vancouver who'd be terrified of going into camp with an unhappy Luongo because his contract is scaring people off then there's a real opportunity.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 02:40:50 PM »

That is certainly what helps drive down the price for Luongo, when Burke can simply say he would rather overpay Vokoun on a one-year deal at $5 mil than risk the Luongo contract that could bury him AND give up key assets in the process. 

There are 3-4 teams Luongo is willing to go to. That alone cripples the market, let alone other options out there

Agreed. Burke has the upper hand here. Luongo gets traded to the Leafs for much less than the going rate for a goalie with his credentials or he stays put and remain Vancouvers problem for years to come., unless there is another team desperate enough to make a big offer.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 02:46:20 PM »
Agreed. Burke has the upper hand here. Luongo gets traded to the Leafs for much less than the going rate for a goalie with his credentials or he stays put and remain Vancouvers problem for years to come., unless there is another team desperate enough to make a big offer.

I think this comes down to TB and Toronto, with maybe Florida in there as well.  I don't see them trading him to a western conf team, especially one they regularly battle for playoff position with. 
Luongo also calls the shots on the destination here and he's unlikely to agree to a pacific coast team given his desire to be closer to home (FLA).