Author Topic: Rick Nash potentially available  (Read 66542 times)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Rick Nash potentially available
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »
This was a pretty fun discussion until Busta got all reasonable and so forth.  :o :P

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
This was a pretty fun discussion until Busta got all reasonable and so forth.  :o :P

That's just what I do. ;D
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
I don't know, seems like it never matters with the Rangers. They sign everybody, they make trades for everybody, they never go over the cap.

True, and that is where I think the Leafs need to go in terms of how to approach these things.  The other big boys seem to shoot first and figure out how to make it all fit under the cap later on.  The Leafs can do the same.

Between Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong and Komisarek you have $15.75 mil not doing a whole lot.  They can be moved around, down or out to make room for a Nash level contract. Move what you have to move to get it done.

Offline Coderaspberry

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »
You know, after listening to the audio of an interview with Nash on TSN, he doesn't exactly sound...committed to Columbus.  I mean, it's all speculation until it's not, but hearing him speak, I'm a little more of a believer that a trade is possible.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »

True, and that is where I think the Leafs need to go in terms of how to approach these things.  The other big boys seem to shoot first and figure out how to make it all fit under the cap later on.  The Leafs can do the same.

Between Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong and Komisarek you have $15.75 mil not doing a whole lot.  They can be moved around, down or out to make room for a Nash level contract. Move what you have to move to get it done.

I'm with you, Corn... Guys like this don't just come available all the time (he may not even be now.) If there's a deal that makes sense to you, you do it.   

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »
Jeff carter has a better contract and is the big center we need in between Kessel and Lupul. 

Offline Coderaspberry

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
Jeff carter has a better contract and is the big center we need in between Kessel and Lupul.

10 years and an attached questionable attitude is not, in my mind, a better contract.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »
Pretending for a moment that A) the Leafs trade for Nash and Grabovski stays put and B) Nash plays on a line with him.... Does Grabovski become the best center Nash has played with in his NHL career? Note: I'm not counting Carter because well, we havent's seen a lot of Carter this year and there hasn't been much opportunity for these two to Gel (if they'll wind up gelling at all.) I know I'm getting light years ahead but if Carter is a career 75 pt. guy, does Grabo have the skills to turn him in to a 35/40 goal, 75 pt guy?   

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »

True but one of the issues with Carter is he is a goal scoring centre who hasn't meshed well with Nash, among others because he wants the puck as opposed to being a distributor.

The neat thing about bringing in a winger like Nash is it would allow the Leafs to build two #1 lines by keeping Lupul & Kessel together and have Nash with Grabbo.. if there is chemistry there you end up with a couple of rather elite looking duos.   

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »
Pretending for a moment that A) the Leafs trade for Nash and Grabovski stays put and B) Nash plays on a line with him.... Does Grabovski become the best center Nash has played with in his NHL career? Note: I'm not counting Carter because well, we havent's seen a lot of Carter this year and there hasn't been much opportunity for these two to Gel (if they'll wind up gelling at all.) I know I'm getting light years ahead but if Carter is a career 75 pt. guy, does Grabo have the skills to turn him in to a 35/40 goal, 75 pt guy?

Outside of a very brief stint a few years ago when Derek Brassard looked like the real deal, yes Grabbo would pretty much be the best/most skilled.  And yes I think he would easily regain 75-80 pt form.

Offline Damian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »

Outside of a very brief stint a few years ago when Derek Brassard looked like the real deal, yes Grabbo would pretty much be the best/most skilled.  And yes I think he would easily regain 75-80 pt form.

I would tend to agree.... but having said that.... it all aint worth a hilla beans right now... ;)

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »

That's what I'm thinking too... Really, while not a slam dunk, there's a strong chance you'd be getting a Nash who some might feel would be more deserving of his cap hit.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »
#bluejackets GM Howson was given a list of #NHL teams Rick Nash would potentially lift his n/m clause to go. Believed 2 be a very short list
by RealKyper via twitter 3:54 PM

You know, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we weren't on that list anyway.  :-\

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
I can't imagine, after trading 1st rounders and top prosepcts, that Columbus would want to settle for a package for Nash centering around players of the Kadri, Kulemin, Aulie calibre, not to mention mid level 1st round picks.
Which leads me to wonder- would Kessel's name ever enter the picture? What if it was a scenerio wherein Carter would come over with Nash? I think an argument can be made that Kessel alone has more value right now than Nash.. Would anyone do a trade involving Kessel that brought back Nash or Nash+?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:49:07 PM by Andy007 »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »
#bluejackets GM Howson was given a list of #NHL teams Rick Nash would potentially lift his n/m clause to go. Believed 2 be a very short list
by RealKyper via twitter 3:54 PM

You know, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we weren't on that list anyway.  :-\

I imagine the Leafs would be on the list, whether or not we could afford or want him is another matter altogether.