Author Topic: Dermott Re-Signs  (Read 1419 times)

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dermott Re-Signs
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 04:18:36 PM »
As Burkie would say a "soft skill" guy. Not overly impressed with anything he does and at any higher of cap hit I would pass.

Group 1:
Muzzin/Rielly/Brodie

Group 2:
Holl/Lehtonen/Dermott/Sandin/Bogosian

Of Group 2 I would give Bogosian a roster spot because of the different style of play he brings compared to the rest of the group. The rest of group 2 will have to battle to distinguish themselves from the rest.

I am just glad Marinicin isn't our depth guy anymore.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2020, 04:34:46 PM »
A shade over league-min for Dermott, basically making what he's always made since entering the league. The parade of useful lower-class players being slightly underpaid continues for the Leafs! The Big Four need to be buying those team dinners for sure. After gargantuan income taxes, agent fees and other fees, I think they walk away with about 40%.

Online L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 04:47:26 PM »
That?s pretty slick how they rounded out the roster while staying under the cap.   Colour me impressed

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 04:57:09 PM »
It seems borderline unfair to the player.

RFA Matt Grzelcyk just signed $14.75M over 4yrs (AAV $3.69 M). Grzelcyk has a career 0.27/points-per-game over 197 games. Dermott has a 0.26/PPG over 151 games.

Obviously Dermott is worth more than his qualifying offer but doesn't have arbitration rights so he's in a tough spot.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 04:59:23 PM »
That?s pretty slick how they rounded out the roster while staying under the cap.   Colour me impressed

I agree. If they had of dumped Kerfoot instead of Johnsson I'd be really happy, but maybe Anderson will be a good fit.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »
As Burkie would say a "soft skill" guy. Not overly impressed with anything he does and at any higher of cap hit I would pass.

Group 1:
Muzzin/Rielly/Brodie

Group 2:
Holl/Lehtonen/Dermott/Sandin/Bogosian

Of Group 2 I would give Bogosian a roster spot because of the different style of play he brings compared to the rest of the group. The rest of group 2 will have to battle to distinguish themselves from the rest.

I am just glad Marinicin isn't our depth guy anymore.
You wouldn't retain a 23 y.o. developing dman for anything more than his minimum q.o.? Really?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Frycer14

• Veteran
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 06:43:24 PM »

I would say though that this is a situation where not having cap space almost certainly prevented the Leafs from signing a longer term thing that could have had real rewards for the Club if Dermott develops into more of a top 4 guy.

Yeah, I think that's where I'm coming from. This deal for Dermott seems more borne out of cap compliance than it does anything else; it's hard to look at the 2 yr deal Engvall at the same age was given last year on a relatively short sample, and feel good about how Dermott got forced into a "show me" deal.

Maybe I'm just showing a bit of bias for dermott. He seems like a good kid.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2020, 07:00:12 PM »

I would say though that this is a situation where not having cap space almost certainly prevented the Leafs from signing a longer term thing that could have had real rewards for the Club if Dermott develops into more of a top 4 guy.

Yeah, I think that's where I'm coming from. This deal for Dermott seems more borne out of cap compliance than it does anything else; it's hard to look at the 2 yr deal Engvall at the same age was given last year on a relatively short sample, and feel good about how Dermott got forced into a "show me" deal.

Maybe I'm just showing a bit of bias for dermott. He seems like a good kid.
You are and he is a nice kid. He's got a lot of time to cash in, in his career.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2020, 07:11:16 PM »
Slightly different market situation when Engvall signed vs Dermott. However, the contract difference is now why Engvall likely gets relegated as a waiver-exempt loan, while Dermott will be involved in the top-7 defensemen.
#BeBlessed

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 07:20:54 PM »
The curiosity with overachieving 3rd pair defenders with good underlying numbers is always going to be whether they can make the shift to top-4. Is Dermott a Nate Schmidt or Colin Miller?
#BeBlessed

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2020, 08:08:07 PM »

I agree. If they had of dumped Kerfoot instead of Johnsson I'd be really happy, but maybe Anderson will be a good fit.

So are you just happy then? I'm glad they kept Kerfoot over AJ. I think he has more upside and is a lot better defensively. Good signing though with Dermott. Would rather have hom as a 7th then Marincin.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 08:10:48 PM »
I can never remember what "wins over replacement" (that's what WAR is, right?) measures, but what I glean from this table is Rielly is the third most terrible defenseman in the league.  8) :o

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2020, 08:18:02 PM »

So are you just happy then? I'm glad they kept Kerfoot over AJ. I think he has more upside and is a lot better defensively. Good signing though with Dermott. Would rather have hom as a 7th then Marincin.

I'd have kept Kerfoot because he can play centre.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »
#BeBlessed

Offline caveman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2020, 08:45:30 PM »
another example of the bloody salary cap... the discussion about paycheques....  >:(