Author Topic: NHLís 24-team Return to Play proposal  (Read 585 times)

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NHLís 24-team Return to Play proposal
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 04:10:59 PM »
Can we just do all teams in? The best team is going to win.

Team with most points in the regular season gets a first round bye.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 04:59:36 PM »
While, I'm not a fan of the suggestion, I'm not really surprised by it. These teams are businesses that need to make money.
Businesses through out North America are working their hardest to make money and coming up with all kinds of ideas to get it done. Not sure why anyone would expect these NHL businesses to behave any differently.

Most businesses in North America aren't sports franchises where the year to year profitability isn't going to make or break anyone with a financial stake in them.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 04:59:36 PM »

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 07:06:22 AM »
While, I'm not a fan of the suggestion, I'm not really surprised by it. These teams are businesses that need to make money.
Businesses through out North America are working their hardest to make money and coming up with all kinds of ideas to get it done. Not sure why anyone would expect these NHL businesses to behave any differently.

Most businesses in North America aren't sports franchises where the year to year profitability isn't going to make or break anyone with a financial stake in them.

What does that have to do with anything?

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 11:32:49 AM »

You don't see the difference between a corner restaurant needing to open so that the owner doesn't lose his business and is able to pay his mortgage and a hockey team playing a handful of games so that the owner's net worth changes by something like .0001%? Within the context of saying that these businesses "need" to make this money?

It is not unreasonable for someone to look at a NHL team and think they might want to put health and safety over making a tiny bit of revenue in a way that does not apply to a struggling small business owner.
-Karl Marx

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 12:20:18 PM »

Also, for what it's worth, I don't see how this would make the teams any more money. It's not like Sportsnet is going to pay the NHL over and above what they already do and TV money already gets split evenly.
-Karl Marx

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 12:26:09 PM »

You don't see the difference between a corner restaurant needing to open so that the owner doesn't lose his business and is able to pay his mortgage and a hockey team playing a handful of games so that the owner's net worth changes by something like .0001%? Within the context of saying that these businesses "need" to make this money?

It is not unreasonable for someone to look at a NHL team and think they might want to put health and safety over making a tiny bit of revenue in a way that does not apply to a struggling small business owner.

I didn't say anything about struggling small business owners.

What I don't see the difference between is places like Walmart, Costco, etc; and what they've done to continue making money and what the NHL is trying to do.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of the suggestion, but I can understand why a business would want to recover some lost revenue.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 12:30:19 PM »
if the Leafs win the Cup they'll have gone through 5 rounds to do it. I'll celebrate that

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »
I didn't say anything about struggling small business owners.

What I don't see the difference between is places like Walmart, Costco, etc; and what they've done to continue making money and what the NHL is trying to do.

You asked why anyone would expect these teams to behave differently than other "businesses". And the answer to that is that most businesses need to be open to survive. Most aren't owned privately by outrageously wealthy people.

Or, in some cases, like Walmart's and Cost-cos. They sell things like, you know, food and diapers and stuff. The NHL, love it though I do, is fairly superfluous right now and maybe not worth the health risk.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of the suggestion, but I can understand why a business would want to recover some lost revenue.

Like I said though, I'm not sure what extra revenue you see in a few teams playing a handful of games with no fans in a neutral site.
-Karl Marx

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 12:47:06 PM »
I would also add that places like Walmart and Costcos are taking pretty large measures to keep not only their customers safe but their employees as well. Those measures aren't going to be perfect I'm sure but it's something. I'm not sure what the NHL is going to do. Granted we haven't heard their full plan but we obviously won't be seeing physical distancing on the ice or probably even in the locker room where things like this have in the past spread very quickly.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »
Like I said though, I'm not sure what extra revenue you see in a few teams playing a handful of games with no fans in a neutral site.

I'm jumping in here without reading the whole conversation, so I am not sure if you are talking about resuming with this 24 team format vs. a more tradtional 16 team tournament or just resuming vs. not resuming at all.

If it is the latter:

A portion TV rights fees would have to be returned without resuming the season.

The LA Times says there is a "considerable amount of TV revenue at stake"

https://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey/story/2020-05-22/concept-of-nhl-proposal-to-resume-play-approved-by-nhlpa-coronavirus

About 15% of the regular-season schedule remained when Commissioner Gary Bettman paused the season March 12 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. With a considerable amount of TV revenue at stake, Bettman has said heís determined to finish the season and award the Cup even if that means delaying the launch of the 2020-21 season.

ESPN says that resuming play this season could result in the NHL recouping over half of the $1B in revenue it is losing

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29131024/the-nhl-coronavirus-pause-league-memo-makes-early-june-draft-case-return-play-talk-continues

In the meantime, the league is doing everything it can to salvage the 2019-20 campaign, which could recoup about half of the projected $1 billion in revenue the NHL is losing.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 05:33:47 PM »
I'm jumping in here without reading the whole conversation, so I am not sure if you are talking about resuming with this 24 team format vs. a more tradtional 16 team tournament or just resuming vs. not resuming at all.

If it is the latter:

I actually mainly meant the former. I know having an end to the season/some sort of playoffs would mean revenues. I'm talking about the proposed format which would, at most, add few extra games with largely middling teams.

Expanding the playoffs, involving more players right now than is necessary, seems like a particularly bad move.
-Karl Marx

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2020, 07:29:14 PM »
This is stupid. Not just the format, but the notion that they should play out the season at all.
#BeBlessed

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2020, 11:31:37 PM »
This is stupid. Not just the format, but the notion that they should play out the season at all.
Right. It's asterisk'd to hell and contingent on so many unknowables. Figure out the next season.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 10:59:46 AM »
Right. It's asterisk'd to hell and contingent on so many unknowables. Figure out the next season.

So can I assume that both of you will make a conscious decision not to watch? ;)

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 11:22:43 AM »

So can I assume that both of you will make a conscious decision not to watch? ;)

I feel like "Will you watch it" is kind of an unfair standard right now. I'm watching German soccer and Danish political dramas these days. My bar isn't high.
-Karl Marx