Author Topic: Mikko Lehtonen signs with Leafs  (Read 5940 times)

Online WAYNEINIONA

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mikko Lehtonen signs with Leafs
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 11:24:59 AM »

What? Maple Leafs news! I read all 14 posts three times.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 12:18:16 PM »
Apparently Habs fans wanted this guy, so I'm good with this move

Online Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 12:23:49 PM »

"You want Lehtonen? Well we're signing Lehtonen."

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »

A couple of points that I thought were worth repeating from this:

1) His coach from this season says he thinks Lehtonen is best on his strong side (left) and that he played with a fellow lefty who moved to the right on his KHL team. I don't think that 100% guarantees that he won't be able to play on the right side here, but if he stuck on the left there even when his team was short on righties I think that makes it unlikely.

2) It's noted that he didn't take any performance bonuses in his deal. That was the same for Mikheyev and Barbanov. Considering he's got some hype behind him I'd imagine a number of other teams would have been offering contracts with performance bonuses so he likely took less to sign here.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 01:43:29 PM »
With that said as I posted that this tweet was written:

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 02:09:23 PM »
Woah this came out of nowhere. I remember reading that this guy was supposed to be pretty decent but never really looked closely because the Leafs weren't being linked to him.

A lefty though, weird.

Isn't it weird that these days we can be not even linked to a player that's being jostled over and we come out the winner? Pleasant surprise! I wonder if Dubas said hey, we're the richest team in the game and we can front load everything and protect the hell out of you, even during a pandemic such as this, no matter what happens.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 02:17:04 PM »

Do you think Montreal having the worst current COVID outbreak in Canada played a role?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »

Do you think Montreal having the worst current COVID outbreak in Canada played a role?

I think it's more likely that he just didn't want to play on a crappy team.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »

When Lauri Marjamaki was coaching the Finnish national team, he always found Mikko Lehtonen to be a particularly keen student.

They would speak occasionally in Tampere about the defenceman’s growth and it wasn’t only the coach doing the talking. Lehtonen wanted to know what Marjamaki saw in the details of his game. He’d ask for development targets.

“He wants to all the time know,” Marjamaki recalled Monday. “I think that it is one of the reasons why he is now so good because he is so motivated all the time and he needs so much feedback from the coaches and everyone.”

This (and the playstyle fit) probably is the reason why Lehtonen chose Dubas and the Leafs over other outfits. We're collecting hockey nerds.
#BeBlessed

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »
It appears RHDs don't exist anywhere on this planet.

I actually wonder how many Crazy Hockey Dads are giving their kids right-handed sticks when they first start to play for this reason.

On a whole, there's not many right handed players any more. Probably 2 or 3 to 1, Lefties to Righties on any team I've every coached. Out of 15 skaters this past season I had 2. Both forwards. The year before I had 3. All defence.

Offline Frycer14

• Veteran
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 06:02:02 PM »

I think it's more likely that he just didn't want to play on a crappy team.

I'm wondering if Lehtonen/his agent basically looked at the Leafs' talent pool on D, as well as overall organizational strengths, and determined he'd likely have the best shot to play meaningful larger market/higher profile NHL minutes above the 4th pairing.

Offline Crake

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2020, 06:06:07 PM »

I actually wonder how many Crazy Hockey Dads are giving their kids right-handed sticks when they first start to play for this reason.

On a whole, there's not many right handed players any more. Probably 2 or 3 to 1, Lefties to Righties on any team I've every coached. Out of 15 skaters this past season I had 2. Both forwards. The year before I had 3. All defence.
I've heard it said that the earlier a kid starts the more likely they are to be left handed. It has something to do with younger kids preferring their dominant hand at the top and older kids naturally putting it mid stick, and most people are right hand dominant.

The study was done to understand why traditionally Canada produces more lefties and the rest of the world always had more righties. That's changing now though, even in Canada kids are starting earlier than they used to. Most people I know started their kids at 3 years old. Mine started at 4 and even that seemed earlier than necessary. I started at 5 when I was little, but there's real pressure to get them going as soon as they can.

Offline Frycer14

• Veteran
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »

I've heard it said that the earlier a kid starts the more likely they are to be left handed. It has something to do with younger kids preferring their dominant hand at the top and older kids naturally putting it mid stick, and most people are right hand dominant.

The study was done to understand why traditionally Canada produces more lefties and the rest of the world always had more righties. That's changing now though, even in Canada kids are starting earlier than they used to. Most people I know started their kids at 3 years old. Mine started at 4 and even that seemed earlier than necessary. I started at 5 when I was little, but there's real pressure to get them going as soon as they can.

https://www.purehockey.com/c/why-are-so-many-hockey-players-left-handed

Some interesting stats in there.

My admittedly old-timer theory is that when when my generation were kids, the majority of sticks were right handed, and basically, sticks were passed down and we learned to use whatever was available. On my old-timer team, I'd say 75% of us are right shots.

Kids now often seem to get new equipment to start the sport, or at least, have more choice in the matter.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 07:11:26 PM »
I'm wondering if Lehtonen/his agent basically looked at the Leafs' talent pool on D, as well as overall organizational strengths, and determined he'd likely have the best shot to play meaningful larger market/higher profile NHL minutes above the 4th pairing.

I'm not sure if that's true though. Right now on the Leafs he's probably 5th among LHD behind Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, and Sandin. Obviously players can slide to the right or get traded to make room for him to move up, but as things stand at this very moment he's got a lot of competition ahead of him. Compare the Leafs LHD depth chart to Montreal or New Jersey's, the two teams that seemed to be the front runners for him. The Leafs blow what they currently have signed for next season out of the water.