Author Topic: Armchair GM Thread 2020-2021  (Read 8780 times)

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM Thread 2020-2021
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2020, 05:37:32 PM »

Maybe this sounds crazy but I'm still not 100% that Nylander won't end up as the best of the big 3.
His compete level will have to take a big step forward for that to happen. I think he can become #2 but doubtful he supplants Matthews. He's a great player right not but needs to step up his game.

Online Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2020, 06:35:51 PM »
Anyone be interested in a straight up Nylander for Laine swap?

If fans rag on Nylander for being too soft and so on how would Laine be an improvement?

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2020, 06:37:40 PM »
I don't put much stock in the concept of "compete level" regardless but it's not like Matthews is always flying around there like a madman, banging into people and the like.

I really think it's a possibility that Nylander develops the best all-around game.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Online Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2020, 06:43:43 PM »
The treatment Nylander is getting is very similar to Sundin?s first few years with the leafs. The criticisms were ridiculous.

Argue with me if you want but Wendel Clark was one of the biggest floaters I?ve ever seen play for the leafs, but you never heard anyone say that. It was especially evident if you saw live games.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2020, 07:57:44 PM »
I don't put much stock in the concept of "compete level" regardless but it's not like Matthews is always flying around there like a madman, banging into people and the like.

I really think it's a possibility that Nylander develops the best all-around game.
You might not but there are plenty on analysts and ex NHL players that say it isn't good enough at times. I think Nylander is a great player but his compete level sometimes isn't good. I'd like him to drive the net more when carrying the puck instead of doing the button hook just over the blueline when the defender gets close. I think that alone would add a whole dimension to his game and make him even more dangerous.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2020, 08:09:58 PM »
You might not but there are plenty on analysts and ex NHL players that say it isn't good enough at times. I think Nylander is a great player but his compete level sometimes isn't good.

Like I said, I don't put stock into the concept above what specific people say about Nylander but if you really want to talk about said specific complaint then this is where I'd fall back on lots of analysts and ex players saying the same thing about lots of guys over the years. Sundin, Jagr, Hull, Ovechkin until he won the cup, Lemieux at times.

This is one of those situations where I firmly fall back on the idea that there's a reason those guys are in a TV studio and not employed by NHL teams.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2020, 09:35:36 PM »

The goals (finally) got a lot of attention this year. His puck carrying game has only gotten better to the point where defenses just sag back when he gets the puck out of tremendous respect. Kind of unheralded, because his linemates are not magicians, is how well he sets them up after carrying the puck into the zone.

This isn't me (I wish I had the technology and skill), but a like-minded fellow to follow:

He does everything useful at a well above average level: skating, passing, shooting, blending it all together to help his team get good chances.

Leafs PP with Marner to Matthews was getting anemic and predictable. Tavares struggled to start the season and re-kindle that spark with Marner. Instant turnaround when Keefe added Nylander to the mix in both those cases.

:-*
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 10:53:08 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2020, 11:05:48 PM »
He reminds me of Kaberle in some ways. He's so good at just carrying the pick and gaining the zone.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »
He reminds me of Kaberle in some ways. He's so good at just carrying the pick and gaining the zone.
I knew it was never going to happen but I would have loved to see Kaberle play wing for a few games.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki