Author Topic: What if the NHL has to cancel the rest of the season?  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
Re: What if the NHL has to cancel the rest of the season?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 07:29:26 PM »
San Jose and Columbus both announce their remaining games will be behind closed doors
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 07:44:23 PM »
I feel pretty confident that if the league takes the decision to cancel the rest of the season that there won't be pushback from teams about whether they get to pick 26th or 27th

I might be confused, but I thought draft order was determined by playoff results for the 16 teams that make the playoffs in combination with their points? There might be a possible swing of up to 4-5 spots depending on regular season results (which of course could be skewed through no fault of their own as opposed to a strike or lock-out.) Some teams might think that to be a significant difference (as evidenced by draft day trades to move up.)

Either way, I'm not particularly invested in this issue, but it would be foolish for a team to not at least try to work things in their favour.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 07:44:23 PM »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 07:52:31 PM »
Draft order for playoff teams works as follows:

Teams knocked out in the first two rounds get ranked based on their points. Then the 2 teams that lose in the conference finals, then the team that loses the final, then the Cup winner. The Presidents trophy winner would draft 27th at the highest. For most teams, the potential swing is only a couple spots.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:55:27 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Chris

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »
Honestly...whether any particular sport (including NHL) has to cancel its season is just about the last thing I'm thinking about right now.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 08:43:58 PM »
I doubt that, ZBBM. I imagine they consider an award of the President's trophy and then it's over. Start anew next season.

Determining draft order will be a bit of a curfuffle, but I'm sure they can figure out some equitable way to reward failure.

Basically this. Even draft order wouldn’t be super difficult. Rank the teams in reverse order by P%, the bottom 15 go into the lottery as if they had finished in those spots. Lottery winners go 1-2-3, everyone else in reverse P% from there for the 1st round, pure reverse P% for every other round.

That's possible, but there'd likely be a push back from the better teams. They could argue that the previous draft order includes consideration of playoff results and there's no guarantee that a top P% would mean they were going to win the cup. Either way, I'm sure they'll sort it out. They might just run several lotteries in chunks (e.g. in groups of 5 based on standings at cancellation.)

I feel pretty confident that if the league takes the decision to cancel the rest of the season that there won't be pushback from teams about whether they get to pick 26th or 27th
Melnyk will find some way to complain about something

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 09:58:03 PM »
NBA just suspended the season. Don't know how other major leagues don't follow suit.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
NBA just suspended the season. Don't know how other major leagues don't follow suit.

I don't know. I'm not saying the NHL shouldn't suspend right now, but I don't think they will (and Dreger says his sources say they won't, at least not yet).

I think the NBA is suspending because the player who tested positive, his entire team, and possibly the teams that he's played against recently will need to self-isolate for 2 weeks. You can't continue the season while that happens.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2020, 10:57:22 PM »

I might be confused, but I thought draft order was determined by playoff results for the 16 teams that make the playoffs in combination with their points? There might be a possible swing of up to 4-5 spots depending on regular season results (which of course could be skewed through no fault of their own as opposed to a strike or lock-out.) Some teams might think that to be a significant difference (as evidenced by draft day trades to move up.)

Either way, I'm not particularly invested in this issue, but it would be foolish for a team to not at least try to work things in their favour.

My larger point is that if the season is suspended or canceled then teams won't be sweating the small stuff and the truth of the matter is that mathematically, to say nothing of common sense and decency during this situation, even the difference between 20th and 30th in the draft isn't particularly significant.

I hold NHL owners in as low regard as anyone and even I don't think there'll be a lot of "But what about my draft picks!" stuff in a time of crisis.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 10:59:04 PM »

I don't know. I'm not saying the NHL shouldn't suspend right now, but I don't think they will (and Dreger says his sources say they won't, at least not yet).

I think the NBA is suspending because the player who tested positive, his entire team, and possibly the teams that he's played against recently will need to self-isolate for 2 weeks. You can't continue the season while that happens.

I think that even maybe more important than a player testing positive is just the realities of playing games in empty arenas and what, if anything, a championship would look like at this point.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 11:12:49 PM »

I think that even maybe more important than a player testing positive is just the realities of playing games in empty arenas and what, if anything, a championship would look like at this point.

Yes.  I think everyone is going to have to do without large gatherings for any purpose for awhile.  I wouldn't be surprised if they suspended things tomorrow.

Offline char

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 11:45:54 PM »

Guess who the Jazz just played against on Monday.

Sent from my MHA-AL00 using Tapatalk

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2020, 11:59:00 PM »
Hey, Auston.  No pressure, buddy, but if you want to make sure you score 50 this season, I think it would be a really, really good idea to score 3 on Thursday, or by Saturday at the latest.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2020, 12:30:58 AM »
The NHL should suspend the season tomorrow.  If they continue, some NHL player is bound to contract it and unknowingly infect his friends.

Italy is in a terrifying state right now without enough ventilators for their patients. As a result, their death rate is skyrocketing.  The US is on an identical exponential trajectory right now. The only difference is that the virus arrived in the US a bit later.  The US should shut everything down for 2 weeks. Doing so will cost an enormous amount but will save lives and will be vastly superior to the alternative, which is shutting things down in 2 weeks anyway.  I hope Im wrong.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2020, 01:06:59 AM »
There will be immense pressure on the NHL, and all pro leagues, to suspend play immediately.  I wouldn't have said this a few hours ago, but I don't think they have any other choice.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2020, 08:40:57 AM »

lol
Supersize my Freedom Fries