Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 19329 times)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2020, 08:20:19 PM »
Still working from home so I don't have a ton more time than usual except maybe on the weekends. Haven't really done much yet but Im playing more video games to take my mind off things at the moment. Will probably start playing more guitar. Gonna try my hand at baking bread tomorrow and maybe try to learn how to use my Instant Pot properly

Oh, and avoiding No Frills. Went to the one at 401/Dixon today because they said it had more items available for online purchase but the place is a zoo!
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2020, 09:31:34 PM »
Gonna try my hand at baking bread tomorrow

I started baking bread about a month before this all started.

It's very easy.

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 29, 2020, 01:23:22 PM »

It's very easy.
Do you have a method/recipe? I'm thinking of using my instant pot to help proof the bread quicker.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 29, 2020, 03:15:14 PM »

It's very easy.
Do you have a method/recipe? I'm thinking of using my instant pot to help proof the bread quicker.

I use a stand mixer and loaf pans.

I don't remember which specific recipe I used, there are so many out there but the rough process I used was:

Dry active yeast and sugar in warm water in the bowl of my stand mixer, let it stand until the yeast bubbles.
Add flour with salt to the bowl and mix with the dough hook.
Add flour as necessary
When the dough is kneaded, transfer it to a lightly oiled bowl turn the dough over to coat the dough in oil
Cover and let rise for 60-90 minutes.
Transfer to loaf pan and let rise covered for another 30 minutes
Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Again, just a rough process and there are so many recipes out there to get propotions ingredients

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 29, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »
It has really been interesting to see how many people are baking right now.   You can’t find flour in any of the grocery stores in my area.   

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 29, 2020, 04:57:07 PM »
It’s best to use coconut flour instead of regular white flour, unless one opts for unbleached white flour.  Those who may have slight GI tract problems or need to whenever possible eat gluten-free would stand to benefit from flours other than wheat or white.

Coconut flour, almond flour are quite common.  Coconut flour is lighter and thus a little more digestible than almond.  There’s also Quinoa, hazelnut, rice, and some others.

Just wanted to give out some tips for a more nutritious bite.🙂

Some info here:
https://draxe.com/nutrition/coconut-flour-nutrition/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:06:19 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 29, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »
Beautiful message from Serge Ibake & the Raptors organization ...and the scarves!

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2020/03/29/stay-home-and-wear-your-scarf-how-the-accessory-became-a-weapon-in-torontos-fight-against-covid-19.html

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2020, 07:43:07 PM »
For those of us who would like to do this, a tip on how to clean your smartphone (a worthy idea for anytime not just for now):

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-clean-smartphone-covid-19/

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2020, 07:14:05 AM »
For those of us who would like to do this, a tip on how to clean your smartphone (a worthy idea for anytime not just for now):

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-clean-smartphone-covid-19/

I've always just brought mine in the bath tub with me

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2020, 07:44:58 AM »
It has really been interesting to see how many people are baking right now.   You can’t find flour in any of the grocery stores in my area.

Ditto, been making half a bag last for regular cooking.  Bread is out of the question. Would be a great thing to do with the kids, but no flour or sugar for a while now.  Grocery store says they get it in small batches and it sells immediately. 

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2020, 11:14:52 AM »
I've always used baby wipes to clean laptop screen, iPhone screen etc. Son mentioned rubbing alcohol a while ago to me, but to not spray it on the device, instead spray it onto a microfibre cloth and wipe device with that. (my phone's older, not waterproof so...)

and not to use those Lysol or Chlorox wipes on them.

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2020, 11:21:59 AM »

Ditto, been making half a bag last for regular cooking.  Bread is out of the question. Would be a great thing to do with the kids, but no flour or sugar for a while now.  Grocery store says they get it in small batches and it sells immediately.

I used to work at Bulk Barn as a teenager briefly. They get loads of shipments, and flour comes in bulk bags of 40kg. I'd give them a call if you need baking supplies  :)

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 30, 2020, 11:52:31 AM »

It's very easy.

I use a stand mixer and loaf pans.

I don't remember which specific recipe I used, there are so many out there but the rough process I used was:

Dry active yeast and sugar in warm water in the bowl of my stand mixer, let it stand until the yeast bubbles.
Add flour with salt to the bowl and mix with the dough hook.
Add flour as necessary
When the dough is kneaded, transfer it to a lightly oiled bowl turn the dough over to coat the dough in oil
Cover and let rise for 60-90 minutes.
Transfer to loaf pan and let rise covered for another 30 minutes
Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Again, just a rough process and there are so many recipes out there to get propotions ingredients
Just a note. The dough will rise better in a warmer then room temp environment. You can leave it on top of the stove vent, usually back right burner, with the oven on low to generate heat.

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 30, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »

I used to work at Bulk Barn as a teenager briefly. They get loads of shipments, and flour comes in bulk bags of 40kg. I'd give them a call if you need baking supplies  :)

Is Bulk Barn open? The bulk section (candy and nuts mostly) in my grocery store has been shut down.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 30, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »
Is Bulk Barn open? The bulk section (candy and nuts mostly) in my grocery store has been shut down.

https://www.bulkbarn.ca/home-en/

They're open (with reduced hours, looks like 10am-6pm) but have workers doing all the scooping for you, something grocery stores probably can't handle. Although I was at a Fortinos yesterday and the bulk section was still open there.