Author Topic: Hurricanes @ Leafs - Feb. 22nd, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590  (Read 2640 times)

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricanes @ Leafs - Feb. 22nd, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590
« Reply #390 on: February 22, 2020, 11:32:10 PM »
I think for me this is just one too many blowout losses.   They talked about effort and managed to pull out one game before reverting to a mess again.   The number of complete games they have played is minuscule and the flaws of the team arenít insignificant.   Getting Rielly back doesnít fix this team.   They are several players away from being a contender and they donít have the cap space to get the overhaul on the defense to make that happen.   

Offline dekedastardly

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 22, 2020, 11:33:12 PM »
So, did Keefe even dare show his face afterwards?  If so, what did he say?

Imagine what Tortorella would say

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #391 on: February 22, 2020, 11:33:12 PM »

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2020, 11:33:56 PM »
I once thought these players would certainly bring a championship.  I no longer believe they are capable of so doing.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I've always been a bit skeptical of Dubas' approach, particularly in the Barrie acquisition and the prioritization of cap forwards over defence, but Matthews, Marner and Tavares are terrific players, and when the team gets balanced out regarding supporting line roles and talent on the back end, they'll be as good a core as anything out there in the league. They've got lots of time in these contracts to improve around them.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 22, 2020, 11:36:24 PM »
Somebody said earlier that it makes you wonder whether Dubas's big plans are going to work at this level.  Yes, Carolina is a better than average defensive team but lesser teams have defeated the possession game if they play tenaciously enough. 

Somewhere Mike Babcock is having a real nice schadenfreude.

The Leafs literally beat the Canes earlier this year. They scored 8 on them.

So, do you think Dubas's system is going to work?  That's the ultimate question.  After a sugar high the first few weeks of Keefe it's back to whether they can out-possess their own defense.  Obviously when they play like dysentery, like tonight, they can't.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 22, 2020, 11:37:46 PM »
So, did Keefe even dare show his face afterwards?  If so, what did he say?

Imagine what Tortorella would say

Ha, you missed the addition I made to my post.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 22, 2020, 11:39:42 PM »
I don't know if Dubas' system will work but I believe a smart executive, which Dubas has shown flashes of being, can adapt their system if they think it needs to be done.

I know we don't like to hear it but it is the same team we saw on Thirsday. Are they more tonight than Thursday? Eh. Somewhere in the middle.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline BermudaBudsFan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 22, 2020, 11:40:51 PM »
I once thought these players would certainly bring a championship.  I no longer believe they are capable of so doing.
I hope you are right.  I still think the world of Matthews.  Tavares hasnít been very good this year.  Marner is a bit of a mess.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I've always been a bit skeptical of Dubas' approach, particularly in the Barrie acquisition and the prioritization of cap forwards over defence, but Matthews, Marner and Tavares are terrific players, and when the team gets balanced out regarding supporting line roles and talent on the back end, they'll be as good a core as anything out there in the league. They've got lots of time in these contracts to improve around them.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2020, 11:42:27 PM »
I don't know if Dubas' system will work but I believe a smart executive, which Dubas has shown flashes of being, can adapt their system if they think it needs to be done.

I know we don't like to hear it but it is the same team we saw on Thirsday. Are they more tonight than Thursday? Eh. Somewhere in the middle.

The first thing Dubas needs to do to prove he is willing to adapt is to admit he made a bad trade and move Barrie tomorrow or Monday.  If he can't/won't do that then I don't think he's got what it takes.

He can't fix this team in the next two days and he shouldn't do anything stupid but he can do that at least.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 22, 2020, 11:44:14 PM »
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2020, 11:45:04 PM »
I donít think itís too early to wonder whether this will be the great lost opportunity for the franchise.  All the skill up front, players who appeared at one time to be a championship core squandered.  Whether due to their individual flaws as players, overspending on the core, poor defensemen, bad defensively generally or a combination of the above.  I once thought these players would certainly bring a championship.  I no longer believe they are capable of so doing.
Every losing season is a loss. Let's not forget that most people here thought the Leafs would take a step back this year. It's happened. I still think Dubas' plan is to build the D next. They have the forward core signed, Rielly and Muzz signed. Sandin appears on his way and now we need a top end RHD to play with Rielly. I think this has always been the plan. He tried to help it out by getting Barrie but remember that was his second choice because Kadri nixed the deal to Calgary. We would have had Brodie I believe. I think he's better defensively. Let's see what Dubas can do by Monday and over the summer. I haven't lost faith in Dubas yet.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 22, 2020, 11:51:29 PM »

The first thing Dubas needs to do to prove he is willing to adapt is to admit he made a bad trade and move Barrie tomorrow or Monday.  If he can't/won't do that then I don't think he's got what it takes.

He can't fix this team in the next two days and he shouldn't do anything stupid but he can do that at least.
He needs a partner to make a trade. And let's remember Brodie was Dubas' first choice. He tried to improve the D and also got Kerfoot in the process. Has and hasn't worked out like people expected. Barrie has never been that good defensively and seeing he's costing us 2.5mill, the return isn't that bad.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2020, 11:57:13 PM »
Arizona destroyed Tampa 7-3. Buffalo 5-2 over Pitt. Van 5-1 after 2 over Boston. Weird league some nights. Leafs would be well in the playoffs in the west.

Offline BermudaBudsFan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 22, 2020, 11:58:23 PM »
I donít think itís too early to wonder whether this will be the great lost opportunity for the franchise.  All the skill up front, players who appeared at one time to be a championship core squandered.  Whether due to their individual flaws as players, overspending on the core, poor defensemen, bad defensively generally or a combination of the above.  I once thought these players would certainly bring a championship.  I no longer believe they are capable of so doing.
Every losing season is a loss. Let's not forget that most people here thought the Leafs would take a step back this year. It's happened. I still think Dubas' plan is to build the D next. They have the forward core signed, Rielly and Muzz signed. Sandin appears on his way and now we need a top end RHD to play with Rielly. I think this has always been the plan. He tried to help it out by getting Barrie but remember that was his second choice because Kadri nixed the deal to Calgary. We would have had Brodie I believe. I think he's better defensively. Let's see what Dubas can do by Monday and over the summer. I haven't lost faith in Dubas yet.
I suppose what I am saying is I donít think it matters.  The present forward core plus Rielly and Muzzin arenít likely to change.  They Have shown they are not championship pedigree.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 23, 2020, 12:01:52 AM »

We also have a forward depth problem.   After Muzzin signs for 5.5 million the Leafs will have basically 6 million to sign 4 forwards and a defenseman just to complete their roster.  We also donít have a Kadri level asset to trade in the offseason.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2020, 12:10:20 AM »
I suppose what I am saying is I donít think it matters.  The present forward core plus Rielly and Muzzin arenít likely to change.  They Have shown they are not championship pedigree.

It's not an excuse but they're still very young. It's a process that can take a long time. I'm not giving up on the core just yet.
Haha 6-1 Van over Boston