Author Topic: Hurricanes @ Leafs - Feb. 22nd, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricanes @ Leafs - Feb. 22nd, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590
« Reply #375 on: February 22, 2020, 11:12:34 PM »
They've still won more 60 minute hockey games than the Hurricanes this season and there's just no way that could be true if tonight was anything more than a particularly bad aberration.

I think unfortunately the leafs' record with Reilly/Ceci out is more representative of what to expect for the rest of the way. The leafs banked a fair number of wins with a middling defense, not the tire fire that remains.

That's probably a fair analysis and, while I'm not including you in this group, it says to me that the answer isn't quite so dramatic as "Burn this down, trade everyone".

To me it says, you know, "get better at defense, make a key trade or two".
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline berserker

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 22, 2020, 11:12:58 PM »
This team now desperately needs to get into the playoffs and win a round or 2
They have to advance and hopefully in doing so ,maybe then they will find some heart.
As of now they are all Jekyll and Hyde.
Even if by some miracle they get in, they have virtually no chance to advance.
         I still hope that this Jekyll and Hyde team can reach the playoffs and then somehow
turn into Cinderella

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #376 on: February 22, 2020, 11:12:58 PM »

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 22, 2020, 11:14:20 PM »
19 games to go. They need something, just not sure what lol. Maybe we'll have Dumba or Manson by Tuesday's game.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 22, 2020, 11:15:06 PM »
They have to advance and hopefully in doing so ,maybe then they will find some heart.
         I still hope that this Jekyll and Hyde team can reach the playoffs and then somehow
turn into Cinderella
That's always the hope. Not out of this yet.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 22, 2020, 11:17:09 PM »
turn into Cinderella

I admire how you were able to work in two stories at the opposite end of the spectrum in to that statement.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 22, 2020, 11:18:43 PM »
So from now on, we have to use the correct logo in the game day thread.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 22, 2020, 11:22:08 PM »
Leafs really didn't look good the whole game. It was only close in the 2nd because of Freddie.

I don't know. It feels like tonight we saw both good and bad Freddie and it feels like we see a lot of games where he really keeps the team in it during a bad period and then he has a stretch where he looks like he's swimming all over the place and lets in 3 goals and the post game match analysis is "Well, you can't say the goaltending was bad because he was so great until he wasn't".

Meanwhile we'd eat any forward/defenseman alive if he was good in the first and then ate it in the 2nd.
Don't agree. Freddie was fine. Made a lot of big saves. Leafs gave up what, 3 breakaways on the PP? Another big save on a 2 on 1 on a Leafs PP. This team gives up a lot of grade a chances.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 22, 2020, 11:22:58 PM »
So from now on, we have to use the correct logo in the game day thread.
That's what did it! Jinx!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 22, 2020, 11:23:01 PM »
They've still won more 60 minute hockey games than the Hurricanes this season and there's just no way that could be true if tonight was anything more than a particularly bad aberration.

I think unfortunately the leafs' record with Reilly/Ceci out is more representative of what to expect for the rest of the way. The leafs banked a fair number of wins with a middling defense, not the tire fire that remains.

That's probably a fair analysis and, while I'm not including you in this group, it says to me that the answer isn't quite so dramatic as "Burn this down, trade everyone".

To me it says, you know, "get better at defense, make a key trade or two".

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 22, 2020, 11:24:09 PM »
Don't agree. Freddie was fine. Made a lot of big saves. Leafs gave up what, 3 breakaways on the PP? Another big save on a 2 on 1 on a Leafs PP. This team gives up a lot of grade a chances.

All of those things can be true and a goalie can still look not very good on the goals they let in.
-Karl Marx

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 22, 2020, 11:24:15 PM »
19 games to go. They need something, just not sure what lol. Maybe we'll have Dumba or Manson by Tuesday's game.

I think Dubas is in a pretty risky situation; he's really given a haircut to the team's prospects and picks in the short term, and with the results of late, he's hardly negotiating from a position of strength -  and on top of that, our forward depth, with Mikeyev and Johnsson out, isn't quite as deep as it looked awhile back if you're moving a roster player.

I dunno. Considering how far out the team appears to be from contending, they should really be taking an offseason approach to acquisitions. 

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 22, 2020, 11:24:49 PM »
Somebody said earlier that it makes you wonder whether Dubas's big plans are going to work at this level.  Yes, Carolina is a better than average defensive team but lesser teams have defeated the possession game if they play tenaciously enough. 

Somewhere Mike Babcock is having a real nice schadenfreude.

Offline BermudaBudsFan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 22, 2020, 11:26:40 PM »
I dont think its too early to wonder whether this will be the great lost opportunity for the franchise.  All the skill up front, players who appeared at one time to be a championship core squandered.  Whether due to their individual flaws as players, overspending on the core, poor defensemen, bad defensively generally or a combination of the above.  I once thought these players would certainly bring a championship.  I no longer believe they are capable of so doing.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 22, 2020, 11:29:00 PM »
So, did Keefe even dare show his face afterwards?  If so, what did he say?

Nevermind, I just read his bland-ish comments on MLHS.  "The game was the same" yeah, no shit Sherlock.

I think this team needs a John Tortorella.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:33:06 PM by Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 22, 2020, 11:31:58 PM »
Somebody said earlier that it makes you wonder whether Dubas's big plans are going to work at this level.  Yes, Carolina is a better than average defensive team but lesser teams have defeated the possession game if they play tenaciously enough. 

Somewhere Mike Babcock is having a real nice schadenfreude.

The Leafs literally beat the Canes earlier this year. They scored 8 on them.
-Karl Marx