Author Topic: 2020 Trade Deadline Activity  (Read 4812 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
2020 Trade Deadline Activity
« on: February 10, 2020, 08:30:52 PM »
#BeBlessed

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Activity
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 08:50:44 PM »
Lets start up a poll to see how many teams Galchenyuk will end up playing for. He must be at 3 or 4 and is still pretty young.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 08:50:44 PM »

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 03:03:16 PM »
?s=19

Goddamnit.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 03:08:59 PM »
On the one hand it's fun to see the sens basically give away a pretty valuable defenceman, but on the other hand I wish they gave him to us. That would have been an amazing deal to make. Would basically solve our 3RHD problem instantly.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »

Dorion: DeMelo's a pretty good defenceman, I'd love to re-sign him but he probably wants term

Dorion's assistant GM/scout/capologist/receptionist/janitor: Maybe we should still try??

Dorion: ... no

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 03:23:14 PM »
On the one hand it's fun to see the sens basically give away a pretty valuable defenceman, but on the other hand I wish they gave him to us. That would have been an amazing deal to make. Would basically solve our 3RHD problem instantly.

He'd definitely be one of my top UFA targets this summer. Get him on a deal similar to what Jensen signed with the Caps (4 years, $10M) - except that Demelo will actually be worth it, and only turn 30 after the 3rd season, instead of before the 2nd.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 03:28:13 PM »

He'd definitely be one of my top UFA targets this summer. Get him on a deal similar to what Jensen signed with the Caps (4 years, $10M) - except that Demelo will actually be worth it, and only turn 30 after the 3rd season, instead of before the 2nd.
Plsstop
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »

I think he would have been a great fit for the rest of this season, but I'm not sure about next season. Holl and Liljegren are sorta locked into the 2nd and 3rd pair righty spots. As much as I like DeMelo, is he the guy you want to use your last RHD spot on in that case?

With that said, I have no idea who the alternatives could be.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 03:42:41 PM »
I think he would have been a great fit for the rest of this season, but I'm not sure about next season. Holl and Liljegren are sorta locked into the 2nd and 3rd pair righty spots. As much as I like DeMelo, is he the guy you want to use your last RHD spot on in that case?

With that said, I have no idea who the alternatives could be.

The lack of alternatives (at least, in terms of UFAs) is definitely the most pressing question there. Outside of Pietrangelo, who will probably be too expensive for the Leafs, I don't see anyone I'd want to commit to using on the top pairing. Shattenkirk, maybe, on short-term deal? That's about it. So, outside of a trade (which, for a player of the calibre we're talking about, quite possibly includes Liljegren), I'd probably lean towards adding a dependable defensive presence like DeMelo.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 03:45:27 PM »
The lack of alternatives (at least, in terms of UFAs) is definitely the most pressing question there. Outside of Pietrangelo, who will probably be too expensive for the Leafs, I don't see anyone I'd want to commit to using on the top pairing. Shattenkirk, maybe, on short-term deal? That's about it. So, outside of a trade (which, for a player of the calibre we're talking about, quite possibly includes Liljegren), I'd probably lean towards adding a dependable defensive presence like DeMelo.

I suspect we'll end up seeing some kind of Dermott+Johnsson/Kapanen for RHD trade at some point in the offseason.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 03:51:32 PM »
I suspect we'll end up seeing some kind of Dermott+Johnsson/Kapanen for RHD trade at some point in the offseason.

That is a distinct possibility.

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »

At what point are we just hemorrhaging assets to fix problems we thought we fixed in the first place? This kind of makes the Kadri deal look like a bit of an indictment.

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 04:04:36 PM »
?s=20