Author Topic: Panthers @ Leafs - Feb. 3rd, 7:00pm - TSN4, TSN 1050  (Read 1680 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Panthers @ Leafs - Feb. 3rd, 7:00pm - TSN4, TSN 1050
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 03:42:07 PM »
Kappy's full comments, if anyone was interested:

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 03:47:18 PM »
HUBERDEAU
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 03:47:18 PM »

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 04:27:09 PM »
There's a point where the media needs to let it go. How many times can you ask the same question. Even Keefe said it isn't a big deal. And Kristen posted at least 3 other tweets before the one you chose to post and be critical of his response. Kappy handled it fine before and even better now that we get the full context of what he said and not just some snippet.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:30:37 PM by Guilt Trip »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 04:41:15 PM »
There's a point where the media needs to let it go. How many times can you ask the same question. Even Keefe said it isn't a big deal. And Kristen posted at least 3 other tweets before the one you chose to post and be critical of his response. Kappy handled it fine before and even better now that we get the full context of what he said and not just some snippet.

He made it 44 seconds into the scrum before getting visibility annoyed at having to discuss this.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 04:41:54 PM »

OK, I hadn't seen the full clip before I shot my mouth off.  That was unfair of me and I shouldn't have done it.  He took responsibility and I agree GT that the press ended up badgering him.  Good for him to handle it the way he did.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »
There's a serious lack of creativity on the part of the media if a guy sleeping in is news for days.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 04:50:47 PM »

He made it 44 seconds into the scrum before getting visibility annoyed at having to discuss this.
And again you're looking for something that isn't there. He actually looked puzzled at first because it was a stupid f'n question. He got annoyed when they kept asking more stupid questions. Time to reflect??? WTF? He slept in..He didn't get hammered and run his car into a pole.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 05:10:46 PM »
Time to reflect??? WTF? He slept in..He didn't get hammered and run his car into a pole.

I guess here's how I'll sum up my thoughts on this. I think Kapanen's response here would have been fine IF this scratch was all because he slept in and missed just one single practice. But Keefe said the decision to scratch him had to do with issues he's had as a Leaf both prior to Keefe's arrival and since his hiring. This was about Kapanen being held accountable for a number of things that we'll likely never know about but Kappy is acting like it's just because his alarm clock didn't go off one time.

As for thinking that asking if this was a time to reflect is a stupid question... Keefe literally opened his press conference (which took place after Kapanen's comments) by saying that anytime you're called out like Kapanen was it's important to reflect and grow from it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:12:30 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Downtown

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 05:11:11 PM »
GO LEAFS GO!
Can't be cheering for Connor Brown no more.

Offline Hobbes

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 05:22:17 PM »
I really don't see how if Keefe had said "Kapanen overslept and missed practice. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but we expect that this doesn't happen and obviously we need there to be consequences if it does so that we can maintain our standards for player conduct" would be throwing a player under the bus. In fact, it would do the following:

1) Make a clear statement about what happened.

2) Say why it wasn't acceptable

3) Earn points with the player for taking the media hit

Really doesn't feel like the sort of thing that needed Fred, Velma, Daphne and the gang but not a big deal either way.

Worth having a look at Keefe's interview today after practice. starting at the 5:25 mark
TLDR: Kappy told Keefe that he wanted to be the one to talk to the press about it first, rather than have Keefe speak for him, so Keefe respected his wishes (hence his responses Saturday). His goal is to protect the player and it seems pretty apparent that he would prefer not to have had to talk about it at all in public.
It's not denial...I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 06:31:47 PM »
We're really hungry for some nefarious story to satiate our Leaf addiction......aaaaaand he slept in and missed a practice.  Damn.  BORING. 

The Leafs media people are really just out there doing the digging that we want them to...Let's not be too hard on them.   

Offline lc9

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
Go get this W.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 07:16:28 PM »
Don’t y’all love the way Nylander can extend a shift? He out fought the Panther defense on three separate occasions to keep the play in the Leafs control.
#BeBlessed

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 07:18:22 PM »
Don’t y’all love the way Nylander can extend a shift? He out fought the Panther defense on three separate occasions to keep the play in the Leafs control.

Is he dating your Daughter or something?

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 07:22:35 PM »
Johnsson with a wicked rush.