Author Topic: Don Cherry fired by Sportsnet  (Read 8975 times)

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Re: Don Cherry fired by Sportsnet
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »

All of this seems to kind of be dancing around the larger point which is that if firing Cherry did cost Sportsnet viewers then it actually makes what they did more admirable as it would then be a rare instance of a large corporation putting their values ahead of profits.

And, honestly, if you're not watching a hockey game because of who isn't yelling racisms during the intermission then you're probably not much of a hockey fan to begin with and the league is probably glad to see the back of you.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2020, 11:43:52 AM »
Be careful to check the day tag of those SN broadcast numbers...they could just as easily be for a weekday broadcast of a different game, not the Saturday HNIC game broadcast. Then, as you say, there are often 2-4 games being simultaneously broadcast during the prime time slot since they essentially make sure that every Canadian team's game is on one of their channels.

Yeah I know. Look at the numbers on week 19 for instance. This was the week of the Christmas holidays so there wasn't much other TV going on. Both the CBC broadcast of "HNIC PRIME EAST" and the Sportsnet broadcast of "HNIC PRIME EAST" show up.

That night the Leafs game was broadcasted on CBC, SN1, SNO, SNW, SNP. There was also a Montreal game going on at the same time that was broadcasted on CityTV, SN360, and SNE.

Obviously the CBC numbers are the Leafs game (842k). I don't think we can say entirely what the Sportsnet numbers (565k) are made up of. At first I assumed it was also only the Leafs game because it was named the same (HNIC PRIME EAST). But the progammer was named "Sportsnet National+" when weekday games on Sportsnet are listed under "Sportsnet Ont+". So now I'm thinking it's a total of all the channels during that time slot, so it would include both games.

Still, it's pretty clear that the numbers being posted for the CBC HNIC broadcast don't actually include any of the people who watched the same game on Sportsnet. Just something to keep in mind. I never would have thought I'd be doing deep dives into Canadian television audience ratings hah.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:46:03 AM by CarltonTheBear »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2020, 11:43:52 AM »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2020, 05:33:18 PM »

Not shockingly, Sportsnet is saying their numbers are just peachy:

Nothing can have value without being an object of utility