Author Topic: 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 39376 times)

Offline Pick

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #1470 on: February 23, 2020, 11:35:05 AM »
After watching the leafs the last few weeks I've developed a new respect for Gerry MacNamara, John Ferguson, Carlyle and Babcock....

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 23, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »
Malgin, Veronneau, Salomaki......Dubas' plan is finally becoming clear.
Malgin could very well end up as an NHL player who they got for a non NHLer. I like what I've seen so far. The Marlies deals are just that, Marlies deals.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1471 on: February 23, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 23, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »
Timashov is on waivers.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 23, 2020, 12:06:59 PM »
Timashov is on waivers.
Trying to clear out a contract?

Offline Pick

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 23, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »
Malgin could very well end up as an NHL player who they got for a non NHLer. I like what I've seen so far. The Marlies deals are just that, Marlies deals.

Do you see him making the Leafs next year?
Leafs are deep on both wings and with Robertson coming up, I wonder if there's any room for Malgin. He could replace Gauthier at centre, or Maybe Engvall replaces Gauthier and Malgin takes a spot on the left side, but with Hyman, Johnsson, Clifford and Robertson and maybe Mikheyev on that side, He may not even make the team.

I dunno, but even if Leafs move a winger or two to strengthen the defence, and a spot opens up for him up front, He'd still be a 4th liner at best and whatever more he could bring than a Marchment, Petan or Agostino would be marginal.

An NHLer for an AHLer sounds good, but in this instance, I don't believe it improves the team.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: February 23, 2020, 12:18:55 PM »
So whats going on with Tavares this year? He seems to be a step slower than last year and he was already not very fast then. Its gotten to the point where he isnt really backchecking because he cant keep up.
JT is playing like he always does. I don't notice him being any worse. I find that he tries to do too much at times though in the O zone. In our end he looks pretty much the same to me. I'm more concerned with Marner. Yeah he's getting points but he's had more, not just bad but, brutal games this year then ever. Like JT, he's a turnover machine.

Marner was overpaid by $3 million as soon as the ink on his contract was dry. Hes getting points but a lot of that is due to playing with arguably the best pure shooter in the league. Generally hes been a turnover machine and has been a little too predictable through the neutral zone. He will never win a physical battle in the offensive or defensive end. He also has a laughably bad shot for an offensively minded player.

That said, I hope he works on his shot, upper body strength and conditioning all summer. Hes still young enough that he can and should be a better overall player going forward.

Im more worried about Tavares. If hes already slowing down then that contract is going to be painful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:20:40 PM by Strangelove »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 23, 2020, 12:25:57 PM »
Timashov is on waivers.

Best day to slip through. Or increase his value in a trade due to flexibility when he gets through.
#BeBlessed

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 23, 2020, 12:34:13 PM »

Do you see him making the Leafs next year?
Leafs are deep on both wings and with Robertson coming up, I wonder if there's any room for Malgin. He could replace Gauthier at centre, or Maybe Engvall replaces Gauthier and Malgin takes a spot on the left side, but with Hyman, Johnsson, Clifford and Robertson and maybe Mikheyev on that side, He may not even make the team.

I dunno, but even if Leafs move a winger or two to strengthen the defence, and a spot opens up for him up front, He'd still be a 4th liner at best and whatever more he could bring than a Marchment, Petan or Agostino would be marginal.

An NHLer for an AHLer sounds good, but in this instance, I don't believe it improves the team.
Don't know if Malgin will even be here next year. We've seen him for all of 2 games so let's see what he can do before throwing him away or calling him a 4th liner at best. Simply don't know yet. Engvall won't be the centre. His 38% win percentage tells me no. Very doubtful Robertson makes the team next year, but it is possible. I don't see Clifford being back unless he takes a serious haircut. I can actually see the Leafs trading Hyman as part of the plan to get that RHD. He's a ufa after next season and he will become unaffordable.
Anytime you can get a legit NHL player, whether it be a 4th liner or 6th, 7th D man for an AHLer, it improves the team.

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 23, 2020, 12:37:04 PM »
The thing is Marner is still putting up a lot of points despite his overall play.

I honestly don't see much difference in his play ly vs cy. He consistently makes high level plays, leads the team in ppg, runs the pp (3rd in league I think?), is good on the PK, and instead of opening up space for Tavares to hit a career best in goals, is now doing the same for matthews.

I'm not saying he's a steal at 11m, but I don't think he's anything even remotely close to the problem with the team.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 23, 2020, 12:53:27 PM »
Timashov is on waivers.
Makes me think "no trade" today as he could have been parcelled with Barrie
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 23, 2020, 12:56:39 PM »
Timashov is on waivers.

Best day to slip through. Or increase his value in a trade due to flexibility when he gets through.
Could be hoping to lose his contract. We're at 49

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: February 23, 2020, 01:01:33 PM »
The thing is Marner is still putting up a lot of points despite his overall play.

I honestly don't see much difference in his play ly vs cy. He consistently makes high level plays, leads the team in ppg, runs the pp (3rd in league I think?), is good on the PK, and instead of opening up space for Tavares to hit a career best in goals, is now doing the same for matthews.

I'm not saying he's a steal at 11m, but I don't think he's anything even remotely close to the problem with the team.
While Matthews is scoring at a better rate in goals per game, he's actually taken a step back in goals per 60 mins. Last year he was at 1.759 goals per 60, this year .976. Mitch has helped but not to the extent you may think. Matthews, next to OV is probably the best goal scorer in the league. Anyway, what I see with Marner this year is that he's a bit of a turnover machine. Yes he can make those plays but he's also guilty of making some pretty foolish plays. Something he didn't do much of last year. No doubt though, he'll get it straightened out.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: February 23, 2020, 01:21:15 PM »

Of all of our players Marner was the one most like to regress a little(with Nylander being the one most likely to improve obviously). That his regression is a 96 points/82 games pace while killing penalties is a pretty good testament to just how talented he is.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 23, 2020, 01:39:57 PM »
The Leafs got the day off but Ayres is back on the ice today. Lol this organization man

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 23, 2020, 03:03:17 PM »
The Leafs got the day off but Ayres is back on the ice today. Lol this organization man
At least he shows up to do his job everyday, he should be an example to some of the millionaires he cleans the ice for.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki