Author Topic: 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 13252 times)

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
Re: 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #390 on: November 14, 2019, 07:45:39 PM »
It's kind of funny looking back at the common whipping boys over the forums over the last few years. Komorov, Martin, Polak, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Brown, and of course, who could forget ol' useless Lou, who was old and behind the times.

I'm starting to miss the compete factor that all of these guys brought, cause apart from Tavares, Marner, Freddie and Reilly, it's completely missing from this group.

I hate to say it, and it's obviously a personal observation, but I'm finding myself starting to dislike the team. It has nothing to do with success; I've been a diehard booster going back past the brophy era, but this group of players.... I can't put my finger on it. I could care less if they win or lose, because I don't get the opinion that they particularly care either.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #390 on: November 14, 2019, 07:45:39 PM »

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 14, 2019, 07:51:39 PM »
I'm surprised Babcock hasn't swapped Barrie and Ceci yet.  Muzzin+Ceci seems like a better defensive pairing, let Reilly and Barrie feast on lesser competition.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 14, 2019, 09:35:29 PM »
I'm surprised Babcock hasn't swapped Barrie and Ceci yet.  Muzzin+Ceci seems like a better defensive pairing, let Reilly and Barrie feast on lesser competition.

I would like to see the Leafs try this.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 15, 2019, 09:21:23 AM »
Season is still technically early. The Leafs basically lost their top line of forwards from last season to injury/circumstantial ineffectiveness/regression to start the year.

Tavares is bouncing back already; not sure how Marner will look post-high ankle sprain but probably not great for the month or two after his return. Tavares can prop him up to a degree (certainly better than Bozak could that first year Marner missed time with the ankle injury).

Might be time to just put Holl with Muzzin for a bit and let Barrie dummy the lower lineup for a week or two, because we need to get his confidence going.

Screw-it, I'm getting on board the Holl-aboard! train.

Rielly-Holl
Muzzin-Ceci
Dermott-Barrie

Rielly needs to play less overall.  Ceci needs to play much less.  I'm kind of ok with this but the lack of mobility on that 2nd pairing scares the hell of out me.

I don't know that Ceci lacks mobility. He lacks decision making ability.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 15, 2019, 09:42:23 AM »
It's kind of funny looking back at the common whipping boys over the forums over the last few years. Komorov, Martin, Polak, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Brown, and of course, who could forget ol' useless Lou, who was old and behind the times.

I'm starting to miss the compete factor that all of these guys brought, cause apart from Tavares, Marner, Freddie and Reilly, it's completely missing from this group.

I hate to say it, and it's obviously a personal observation, but I'm finding myself starting to dislike the team. It has nothing to do with success; I've been a diehard booster going back past the brophy era, but this group of players.... I can't put my finger on it. I could care less if they win or lose, because I don't get the opinion that they particularly care either.

Babcock has been alluding to the compete factor frequently. 

Those guys you mention may have had the compete factor but they didnít bring in much in terms of talent.  The only player I would miss from that group would be Hainsey and only for the veteran leadership factor (for Reilly).  Other than that, the group we have now supersedes anything weíve had before when it comes to the skills department.

The Leafs lack some Ďgrití which Komarov, Martin, & Polak brought, but Iím certain that there is a way for this current team to find themselves on a winning track.  Itís only a matter of time. 

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 15, 2019, 10:27:22 AM »

Ceci just flat out sucks.

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 15, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »
Let's see just how much Babcock hates Spezza

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 15, 2019, 11:07:25 AM »

This is good stuff

I've had a few conversations with Hayley. She is one of the most genuine, kindest people I have ever met.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 15, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »

I'm just a nicer guy I guess.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 15, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »

I think it's fair to say Ceci is physically very capable of the job, but in terms of thinking the game under pressure, there is too much of a lag at this level. He's got decent shot share with the Leafs so far.

This is sort of the opposite case with Hainsey, where it was clear his body wasn't really able to keep up with what his mind wanted to do (which was usually a smart, defensive play).

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 15, 2019, 11:23:44 AM »

I think it's fair to say Ceci is physically very capable of the job, but in terms of thinking the game under pressure, there is too much of a lag at this level. He's got decent shot share with the Leafs so far.

This is sort of the opposite case with Hainsey, where it was clear his body wasn't really able to keep up with what his mind wanted to do (which was usually a smart, defensive play).

So the solution is to bring Hainsey back and pair them together?

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 15, 2019, 11:37:16 AM »

Watching Ceci reminds me that Hainsey was not a bad as we thought.   Ceci does have more offensive upside but that is not really what we need him for.  Nice him and Barrie are history after this year.  Need some guys like Dermot who can close gaps, limit chances.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 15, 2019, 11:45:56 AM »

Aim higher: swap Hainsey's mind into Ceci's body.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 15, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2019/11/14/mike-babcock-on-tyson-barrie/

Morgan Rielly was talking about trying to get the swagger back. As a coaching staff, how can you help the guys get back to that?

Babcock: Well, the biggest thing is: When you leave the rink each night and when your team has won and youíve played well, you feel really good. When you are disappointed and you donít like how you played, you donít feel as good. A big part of that is sticking to the process longer and doing it right and weíll be rewarded.

Thatís a good question. Thatís what we went through here today ó identified our game. Last night was a perfect example. When they scored their first goal, we had the puck the whole time. They scored a goal and boom, the next thing you know, itís two. And then the second period started and we own it. They donít have it. They get the puck and shoot it in our net. The next few shifts ó again, we didnít handle it.

To me, to say we werenít prepared or didnít play well ó thatís not true. But when it went bad, what did we do? The whole game is mistakes. It goes bad regularly, but how do you pick each other up? How do you handle it? How do you get back on track quickly and handle that? We spoke about that as well.

People could seriously take and apply this concept to their every day lives.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #404 on: November 15, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »