Author Topic: 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 31042 times)

Arn and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
Re: 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #1050 on: January 19, 2020, 07:29:15 AM »
Liljegren & Brooks to the Marlies:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:18:12 AM by hockeyfan1 »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1050 on: January 19, 2020, 07:29:15 AM »

Offline Pick

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 19, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »
You know which nickname I never understood? Jonas Gustavsson aka "The Monster". No alliteration. He wasn't inhuman...It's the same amount of syllables as his surname...And he wasn't exactly great at stopping pucks. Hate it.

Oh and here's a trick for Timmy's name: Use "lil" then add the "jegren". Lilypad is horrible and you should feel horrible for using it!!

He got that name before moving to NA and the NHL. I believe it had more to do with his size than his talent. He was known to flop around and use his unusually long limbs to make saves like a huge sea monster throwing a limb out of (seemingly) nowhere to make a save.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 19, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
Alex:  "You are correct for 800 Pick"
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 19, 2020, 01:47:54 PM »
You know which nickname I never understood? Jonas Gustavsson aka "The Monster". No alliteration. He wasn't inhuman...It's the same amount of syllables as his surname...And he wasn't exactly great at stopping pucks. Hate it.

Oh and here's a trick for Timmy's name: Use "lil" then add the "jegren". Lilypad is horrible and you should feel horrible for using it!!

He got that name before moving to NA and the NHL. I believe it had more to do with his size than his talent. He was known to flop around and use his unusually long limbs to make saves like a huge sea monster throwing a limb out of (seemingly) nowhere to make a save.

I would have just gone with "The Flounder."

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 19, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
A few observations based on our collective MotM voting going into the ASG break:

1.  Despite crapping out for the last month or so, Andersen is still the MVP of this team.  That's not a good thing.
2.  What is good is Nylander's season: our best forward night in and night out and that's not just hermantalk.  By far the best value for dollar among the Big 4.
3.  Matthews has been great overall.  If he can play like this in the playoffs I'll give up quibbling about whether he's "elite."
4.  Tavares and Rielly are vying for biggest disappointments.  For Tavares, just 11 Times Votes and a putrid 4 points not a single MotM yet.  Jace or no, injury or so, that doesn't work.  Kapanen, Mikheyev, Engvall, are all outpacing him ... WHAT??  Rielly, I have to hope, was floundering because of his undisclosed injury before the broken foot.  Hopefully he comes back fully healed because he plummted from very good to awful in a hurry.
5.  Holl, Spezza, Mikheyev, and Engvall are all big bright spots.  You have to have guys like this emerge and take significant roles.  Kerfoot has been pretty good too.  On the meh side, Hyman, Johnsson, Kapanen look too much like last year's edition of Connor Brown.
6.  On D, after a little spurt post-Keefe Barrie is looking ... well, he's not bringing what Dubas thought he would.

Overall, the team has settled into a well-deserved mediocrity, with the defense dragging the whole enterprise down.  Dubas didn't get it fixed over the summer (and to be fair, he probably couldn't have ... but his attempted fixes were sideways moves at best).  Way too much underperforming going on.  If Andersen doesn't snap-to pretty soon, we could be sellers at the deadline.  Probably should be in any event.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 19, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
A few observations based on our collective MotM voting going into the ASG break:

1.  Despite crapping out for the last month or so, Andersen is still the MVP of this team.  That's not a good thing.
2.  What is good is Nylander's season: our best forward night in and night out and that's not just hermantalk.  By far the best value for dollar among the Big 4.
3.  Matthews has been great overall.  If he can play like this in the playoffs I'll give up quibbling about whether he's "elite."
4.  Tavares and Rielly are vying for biggest disappointments.  For Tavares, just 11 Times Votes and a putrid 4 points not a single MotM yet.  Jace or no, injury or so, that doesn't work.  Kapanen, Mikheyev, Engvall, are all outpacing him ... WHAT??  Rielly, I have to hope, was floundering because of his undisclosed injury before the broken foot.  Hopefully he comes back fully healed because he plummted from very good to awful in a hurry.
5.  Holl, Spezza, Mikheyev, and Engvall are all big bright spots.  You have to have guys like this emerge and take significant roles.  Kerfoot has been pretty good too.  On the meh side, Hyman, Johnsson, Kapanen look too much like last year's edition of Connor Brown.
6.  On D, after a little spurt post-Keefe Barrie is looking ... well, he's not bringing what Dubas thought he would.

Overall, the team has settled into a well-deserved mediocrity, with the defense dragging the whole enterprise down.  Dubas didn't get it fixed over the summer (and to be fair, he probably couldn't have ... but his attempted fixes were sideways moves at best).  Way too much underperforming going on.  If Andersen doesn't snap-to pretty soon, we could be sellers at the deadline.  Probably should be in any event.
I agree with most of what you said.
In regards to Barrie... Since Keefe has taken over he's put up 20 pts in 26 games, he had 7 in 23 for Babs. That's 63pts  pro rated over 82 games and that would be a career high for him. That's exactly what they wanted out of him. As for the defensive side, they knew what they were getting.
Also regarding the D. Yes it isn't up to snuff but the team defence is killing them, not just the 6 guys playing there. We all agree though, it needs to be upgraded.
Johnsson has been disappointing for me. Johnsson should have more points when he played with Matthews and Willy and got PP1 time. I give Kappy a bit, not full, of a pass because it was a mistake playing him on his off wing and I think that messed him up. I don't know what's up with Hyman. He's getting the points but his overall play isn't good, especially lately.
Leafs are still in a decent spot and can make the playoffs. We'll see what Dubas does by trade deadline..

Offline Michael

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 20, 2020, 11:08:47 AM »
I have a general question. If it has been discussed somewhere else then I apologize in advance.

Are teams restricted from making a trade during the off week? If the Leafs made a trade now and it involved a player who was away in the Caribbean for a week, what would his obligation be? What if the player continued with his week off and then the team he was traded to had their off week 2 weeks from now?

That is more than one question, but I suppose you get the point.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 20, 2020, 11:18:59 AM »
I have a general question. If it has been discussed somewhere else then I apologize in advance.

Are teams restricted from making a trade during the off week? If the Leafs made a trade now and it involved a player who was away in the Caribbean for a week, what would his obligation be? What if the player continued with his week off and then the team he was traded to had their off week 2 weeks from now?

Nothing specifically barring a trade. If a player was off this week was traded to a team that wasn't, they'd be expected to report unless they negotiated something with their new team. And, of course, they'd also get that other week off.

It's unlikely we'll see much in terms of significant movement now, though. Teams are gearing up for the deadline, so, talks are almost certainly underway, but a lot of them are probably still in the preliminary stages. Teams are mostly going to use their break - and the other team's breaks - take the opportunity to take stock of where they're at, and finalize their strategies and scenarios for the deadline.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 21, 2020, 12:05:05 PM »

Nothing specifically barring a trade. If a player was off this week was traded to a team that wasn't, they'd be expected to report unless they negotiated something with their new team. And, of course, they'd also get that other week off.

The more interesting scenario would be if a trade cost a player a bye week though. Like the Leafs got theirs pre-ASG. What if all-star weekend they acquired a guy who was supposed to get his post-ASG? If the Leafs forced him to report to the team right away then he wouldn't get a break. That's something the PA would probably cause a fuss over.

You're right that this is incredibly unlikely, but crazy things like it have happened before. Like when Ozolinsh was traded between conferences right because an all-star game he was a participant in.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 22, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
Every team above us, including Florida, have gone on a run lately. We are really going to be in tough to make it in without putting in a really solid final 30 something games. One wonders where the team would be if Keefe was allowed to take over in the summer.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 22, 2020, 11:49:00 AM »
Every team above us, including Florida, have gone on a run lately. We are really going to be in tough to make it in without putting in a really solid final 30 something games. One wonders where the team would be if Keefe was allowed to take over in the summer.
Bender, you have hit the nail on the head, all the nay sayers that poop on Dubas really don't get that it was his plan to insert Keefe as head coach last summer.   He was blocked by Larry T and probably to some extent by Shanahan. The only way to gauge this team (despite how they finish this year), is to let Keefe start a season and then we can revisit this in a years time.
Our top two D men are out, we have teenagers coming up to help there. Skilled teenagers (perhaps Liljegren  is 20?) but very green for the NHL. We probably need to revamp our 4th line and keep someone like Marchment up.   Outside of Soupman not being available we may have what is the best top 9 in the league. Or as close to it as it gets.
Let's hope for the best.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 22, 2020, 02:23:04 PM »
Bender, you have hit the nail on the head, all the nay sayers that poop on Dubas really don't get that it was his plan to insert Keefe as head coach last summer.   He was blocked by Larry T and probably to some extent by Shanahan. The only way to gauge this team (despite how they finish this year), is to let Keefe start a season and then we can revisit this in a years time.
Our top two D men are out, we have teenagers coming up to help there. Skilled teenagers (perhaps Liljegren  is 20?) but very green for the NHL. We probably need to revamp our 4th line and keep someone like Marchment up.   Outside of Soupman not being available we may have what is the best top 9 in the league. Or as close to it as it gets.
Let's hope for the best.

I mean, how much can you argue with a 110pt pace? They need to tighten up defensively but at the same time Freddy has underperformed for quite a while and is on his worst stretch as a Leaf lately. Lets see what they can do when Freddy heats up. We might be forced to fight for a wildcard position rather than 3rd in our division, but so be it.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 22, 2020, 02:58:53 PM »
Let's hope for the best.

I mean, how much can you argue with a 110pt pace? They need to tighten up defensively but at the same time Freddy has underperformed for quite a while and is on his worst stretch as a Leaf lately. Lets see what they can do when Freddy heats up. We might be forced to fight for a wildcard position rather than 3rd in our division, but so be it.

I remain very optimistic and have faith in Keefe.  I agree he should have been there before but its okay because the Leafs are on pace (hopefully) for the playoffs (wildcard or whatever). 

The differences between Keefe and Babcock is enough reason to believe the team is in definitely better and improved coaching hands. 

Offline Stebro

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 22, 2020, 05:13:50 PM »
Even if the leafs make the playoffs, there are several things i'm worried about. To me the leafs are a one trick pony pretty much, let's say we play a team that shut down our offence, then we are done unless Freddie stands on his head, and if we don't score we can't switch to a defensive or physical style of play because we don't have the players for it, so what do we do then? Ideally I would like a big physical winger, he doesn't have to be top notch, but at least a 30 point player. I would also like a defensive d-man with a physical edge, like a new Adam Foote or Scott Stevens, as well as a backup. Honestly I don't care if we trade Kapanen, Johnson and Kerfoot, because we really need those three parts. I would prefer veterans.
Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 22, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »
Let's hope for the best.

It's really tight for those 2 wildcard spots. 

Statistically, 33.4 SA/game (27th) in the last month combined with a 89.6% SV% 5v5 (30th) is going to hurt you.

I have to think that the second number has to regress to the better.  But I don't think the SA is going to suddenly decrease. I just don't know if they can outscore it.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1064 on: January 22, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »