Author Topic: Marner signs 6 year, $10.893mil AAV contract  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Marner signs 6 year, $10.893mil AAV contract
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2019, 10:55:57 PM »
I dont remember the second lockout, but the first one, my memory of the first one wasnt pro hard cap around here. I remember a lot of us being in favour of team contraction over a hard cap to keep the likes of Phoenix and Atlanta afloat.

That is not how I remember things if for no other reason than, given the economic circumstances of the time, most of the contraction talk revolved around smaller market Canadian teams.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2019, 10:55:57 PM »

Online Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2019, 10:57:06 PM »
You keep saying this like it's the fans fault that there is a hard cap system in place now.

I say that because during both lockouts fans were overwhelmingly pro-NHL both times. And not just NHL fans as a whole. Fans of the Leafs. Here.

Many of us argued against it, knowing full well one of the greatest advantages a team like the Leafs have over the rest of the league is money, and lots of it.  I argued that a hard cap system is tantamount to communism, but here we are.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying whether we argued for or against the cap, the NHL still wasn't listening to us fans. The NHL was always going to do what the NHL wanted to do. 

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2019, 11:06:30 PM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2019, 11:12:25 PM »
Many of us argued against it, knowing full well one of the greatest advantages a team like the Leafs have over the rest of the league is money, and lots of it.  I argued that a hard cap system is tantamount to communism, but here we are.

Not to drag up old arguments but Communism, at least in theory, seeks economic equality. The Hard Cap is the opposite of that. Teams like the Leafs and Rangers are raking in money while teams like the Coyotes and Senators are still struggling. Total revenue sharing would be something akin to Communism but the NHL never went near that.

All the Cap did was drastically rig things in favour of management over labour. That is very much the opposite of what homeboy Karl Marx was looking for.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying whether we argued for or against the cap, the NHL still wasn't listening to us fans. The NHL was always going to do what the NHL wanted to do.

So, there's a limited value in us really arguing over things from 15 years ago when we don't have the paper trail to help us but I'd say three things to that:

1. I feel pretty confident that I wrote as much as anyone in those lockout threads and I very much do not remember feeling "Oh yeah, opinion here seems about as much with me and my pro-player stance as anything". I don't remember what you wrote specifically but I remember a lot of "Greedy players! 5 million dollars isn't enough for you?!? Bobby Holik got how much?!?! Ticket prices are too high!!!" and the usual stuff from fans during labour disputes.

2. I don't think there's a meaningful distinction between having been pro-Ownership and pro-Hard Cap when instituting a hard cap was the NHL's singular goal in the lockout. It'd be like voting for a political candidate and being like "Well, sure, I voted for him but you can't hold me accountable for him instituting those policies he campaigned on". 

3. I don't agree that what fans did or said had no impact. The NHL was confident in their ability to have a lockout, shut down for a season or more, because they knew fans would come back whenever they re-opened. Moreover fans pledging allegiance to teams over players effectively kneecapped any leverage players might have had over their own drastic actions(Remember talk of a player's league)?
-Mark Twain

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2019, 11:13:00 PM »
I wish they had graphics like that back when Sakic and Forsberg were making around 9 and 11 million each.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2019, 11:13:16 PM »
For me, the bottom line is that I get to watch the 4 best individual talents the Leafs have ever iced at once play together for at least 5 years.  That's worth a lot as a fan.  A helluva lot, actually.  In my job I deal with bad news all the time, so I want to be entertained when I watch hockey.  These guys pretty much guarantee it.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2019, 11:15:34 PM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2019, 11:18:32 PM »

So I know that this has been gone over lots during the Nylander stuff but are the Leafs actually paying him 45 million? I thought that was cap trickery so that he could get his full first year's salary of 6.9(or whatever it was with the bonus).

-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2019, 11:21:12 PM »
For me, the bottom line is that I get to watch the 4 best individual talents the Leafs have ever iced at once play together for at least 5 years.  That's worth a lot as a fan.  A helluva lot, actually.  In my job I deal with bad news all the time, so I want to be entertained when I watch hockey.  These guys pretty much guarantee it.

Agreed. There are a lot of downsides to the cap forcing every fan to experiencing every decision as a GM but by far one of the least useful is the "Sure this looks good now but what about in 2 or 3 years time when the cap situation is sticky?"

You can just enjoy the moment.
-Mark Twain

Online Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2019, 11:25:38 PM »
Going into all this, I would have bet big money that all three would be re-signed for 8 years. Still surprised not a single one did, let alone all three.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2019, 11:35:21 PM »

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2019, 11:36:29 PM »
I'm a bit stunned by the AAV, but definitely glad he's here for at least another six years. I'm not optimistic he can keep up the pace points-wise, but 80 points would still be elite territory.

Online Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2019, 11:42:25 PM »
I'm a bit stunned by the AAV, but definitely glad he's here for at least another six years. I'm not optimistic he can keep up the pace points-wise, but 80 points would still be elite territory.

I actually think he gets close to 100, and cracks it at least once. All the while leading the team in points in three of the next five years.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2019, 03:00:37 AM »
They could and they did.

Congratulations, Mitchell.  We love ya...er...the GIFS that is!  😁

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    • View Profile