Author Topic: Kyle Dubas is JFJ 2.0 - Discuss  (Read 1426 times)

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kyle Dubas is JFJ 2.0 - Discuss
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2019, 05:09:25 PM »
I'm not 100% sure how anyone has a real impression of Dubas one way or another this soon.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2019, 05:09:25 PM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2019, 06:12:16 PM »
I guess you forgot that Lou did exactly that with Brodeur being the top contract in NJ and the Bruins did it with Bourque contract.  I guess you think they are the amateurs.

I'm not entirely sure that how Boston handled things 20 years ago is particularly relevant but, regardless, I don't want the Leafs to end up like the Bourque-era Bruins.

Quote from: Nik the Trik link=topic=5526.msg368027#msg368027
date=1562000911
Dubas' record in the playoffs as GM is 3-4.

Well that is faint praise indeed.

It's just the truth.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2019, 08:07:50 PM »
And then what happened?

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »
Dubas is a f__king genius, the boy wonder.. Shanahan spotted a great brain and got rid of the old school guys.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2019, 09:45:09 PM »
Dubas is a f__king genius, the boy wonder.. Shanahan spotted a great brain and got rid of the old school guys.
Yup. It's been a very busy off season for Dubas and I think he's done a great job.

Offline 93forever

• Marlie
  • Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
There is no way anyone should be comparing Dubas to JFJ.  Rask would have looked sweet with a Leafs jersey, and could have helped the Leafs get into the playoffs at least once.  Where is Raycroft today?  How about trading for Toskala?  Signing Jeff O'Neill, Eric Lindros, Jason Alison - players that were long past their prime?  Signing Jason Blake after having only 1 season of higher production?  Trading away a first round pick in a package to get Leetch?  I bring those up, because I cannot recall any decent moves JFJ made to help improve the Leafs.  Conversely, Dubas is at least trying to create some salary cap space to re-sign Marner and improved the d-line with Barrie and Harpur, while getting rid of Zeitzev.  Kadri was a liability in the playoffs, but Brown will be missed.  His goal helped the Leafs get into the playoffs a few years ago.  So no, there is no comparison between the two. 

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »
There is no way anyone should be comparing Dubas to JFJ.  Rask would have looked sweet with a Leafs jersey, and could have helped the Leafs get into the playoffs at least once.  Where is Raycroft today?  How about trading for Toskala?  Signing Jeff O'Neill, Eric Lindros, Jason Alison - players that were long past their prime?  Signing Jason Blake after having only 1 season of higher production?  Trading away a first round pick in a package to get Leetch?  I bring those up, because I cannot recall any decent moves JFJ made to help improve the Leafs.  Conversely, Dubas is at least trying to create some salary cap space to re-sign Marner and improved the d-line with Barrie and Harpur, while getting rid of Zeitzev.  Kadri was a liability in the playoffs, but Brown will be missed.  His goal helped the Leafs get into the playoffs a few years ago.  So no, there is no comparison between the two.
Remember that JFJ had to answer a lot of people with opinions on what to do. He had no autonomy. Dubas has the wheel and can press the pedal down as far as he can and Dad doesn't give him the car keys.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2019, 08:35:41 PM »
This whole topic is just silly.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2019, 08:35:41 PM »