Author Topic: Zaitsev and Brown traded to Ottawa  (Read 4532 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Zaitsev and Brown traded to Ottawa
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2019, 02:04:40 PM »
How likely is it that Cody Ceci becomes Toronto's whipping boy before he plays a single game here?

I mean his contract and his reputation in Ottawa right off the bat isn't going to help him. As the season starts it'll depend on how Babcock uses him. If it's just 3rd pair + PK minutes he might perform ok, or his warts might be excused if he brings a physical presence to the team like Polak did. But if he gets used on the top/shutdown pair and has results like he did in Ottawa then things will probably get rough.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2019, 02:04:40 PM »

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2019, 02:17:36 PM »
How likely is it that Cody Ceci becomes Toronto's whipping boy before he plays a single game here?

I mean his contract and his reputation in Ottawa right off the bat isn't going to help him. As the season starts it'll depend on how Babcock uses him. If it's just 3rd pair + PK minutes he might perform ok, or his warts might be excused if he brings a physical presence to the team like Polak did. But if he gets used on the top/shutdown pair and has results like he did in Ottawa then things will probably get rough.
I think with all healthy, Ceci os on the 3rd pairing. I can see Barrie with Muzzin and Dermott with Reilly.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »
Has anyone seen Ceci play?  Some Senator fans I know preferred Phaneuf over Ceci.  Hopefully he can get a new start here.

His possession numbers are straight up fugly.

Interestingly, his possession numbers are decent when paired with someone decent.  (Last year anyways)

Ceci + Chabot:  52%

Both were under 50% when away from each other.

Just playing DA here.  I don't expect him to be good, but I'd live with passable for 1 yr until a young guy can step in.  NOTE:  Not getting my hopes up.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
Interestingly, his possession numbers are decent when paired with someone decent.  (Last year anyways)

Just playing DA here.  I don't expect him to be good, but I'd live with passable for 1 yr until a young guy can step in.  NOTE:  Not getting my hopes up.

He has spent a lot of time on bad teams paired with poor possession players, so, I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of him being alright with some with better puck skills, etc. Also, not getting my hopes up, but, fingers crossed.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2019, 04:08:09 PM »

He has spent a lot of time on bad teams paired with poor possession players, so, I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of him being alright with some with better puck skills, etc. Also, not getting my hopes up, but, fingers crossed.
I think we should wait until we actually see him play and go from there. I think he gets put with Rielly as our 1B. Muzzin and Barrie are 1A.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2019, 04:34:53 PM »

I guess this isn't particularly surprising, at least while Dermott is out. We'll see what happens after that.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 02, 2019, 04:37:52 PM »

I guess this isn't particularly surprising, at least while Dermott is out. We'll see what happens after that.
No surprise. Let's see what happens.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 02, 2019, 05:33:13 PM »
I'm not totally sure but I don't think there's anything to prevent them from sending him to the Marlies if need be so they can bury his contract.

You can't bury more than $925K I think (number may have increased)

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2019, 05:47:13 PM »
I'm not totally sure but I don't think there's anything to prevent them from sending him to the Marlies if need be so they can bury his contract.

Thanks. I wasn't sure.

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2019, 05:48:00 PM »

It also couldn't hurt to try see what he's capable of with quality partners, and, of course, try to raise his trade value ;)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »

Its up to 1.075M now (league min + 0.375M)

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »

It also couldn't hurt to try see what he's capable of with quality partners, and, of course, try to raise his trade value ;)

Who was he playing with last year...I thought I read Chabot, no?

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 02, 2019, 06:07:52 PM »

Max Lajoie (rookie) primarily at 5v5.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 02, 2019, 06:08:26 PM »

At times and apparently their numbers were decent together but both worse when apart. From above....

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2019, 06:24:03 PM »

Max Lajoie (rookie) primarily at 5v5.

Thank you, herman. 

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2019, 06:24:03 PM »