Author Topic: Zaitsev and Brown traded to Ottawa  (Read 4542 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Zaitsev and Brown traded to Ottawa
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2019, 11:37:48 AM »
Big Ceci fan, eh? 

What's the deal with this guy?...seems very polarizing.

He's really just a Canadian Nikita Zaitsev.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2019, 11:37:48 AM »

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2019, 11:40:34 AM »
Assuming the latter could occur, would it not be possible to have the room to sign Gardiner as plan "A"?

Hypothetically if Marner gets $10mil and we dump Ceci I think that we're very roughly at $75-76mil (with Horton on LTIR). So possible, but Gardiner would probably need to take a bit of a discount.

And again, very hypothetically, but if say, Kadri went for Pesce, we'd have an additional 500K, and the top 4 suddenly looks very, very serviceable.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2019, 11:42:18 AM »
And again, very hypothetically, but if say, Kadri went for Pesce, we'd have an additional 500K, and the top 4 suddenly looks very, very serviceable.

True. Let's keep in mind though that Kadri has a 10-team NTC though and Carolina is rumoured to be on it. He loves the team and loves the city, I can't see him being in a rush to waive that.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »
Myers looks to be getting 6 million over 5 years.  How does he work as a comparable for Gardiner?
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »

True. Let's keep in mind though that Kadri has a 10-team NTC though and Carolina is rumoured to be on it. He loves the team and loves the city, I can't see him being in a rush to waive that.

Ah. Pin, meet balloon.

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2019, 11:45:00 AM »
Myers looks to be getting 6 million over 5 years.  How does he work as a comparable for Gardiner?

Gardiner is better, but size is often overrated in favour of Myers, and perhaps the back problems make a few clubs wary.

So yeah, 6M sounds close to me. Hopefully some magic can be worked for the leafs.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »
Assuming the latter could occur, would it not be possible to have the room to sign Gardiner as plan "A"?

Hypothetically if Marner gets $10mil and we dump Ceci I think that we're very roughly at $75-76mil (with Horton on LTIR). So possible, but Gardiner would probably need to take a bit of a discount.

I think something like this is going to occur.  Kadri is the most likely chip in some kind of deal that gets us a top-4 d-man.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2019, 11:46:38 AM »
Big Ceci fan, eh? 

What's the deal with this guy?...seems very polarizing.

He's really just a Canadian Nikita Zaitsev.

Awesome. And we were really selling low on Zaitsev.

I don't much like the deal, so I hope there are other moves.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »

And his love of team won't be affected if he's approached with a trade to CAR?

These NTCs are much more restrictive in theory than in practice.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2019, 12:11:49 PM »

Much easier to sell one year of mediocrity than five.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »

Much easier to sell one year of mediocrity than five.
+1

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »
There's literally no answer I can give you that you won't nitpick on either of those questions, even if I was to give you an answer that actually came to fruition 5 minutes later - so I'm not going to take the bait.

That's true in as much as the re's really no answer you can give that would be so universally obvious and advantageous to the Leafs as there's nothing wrong with it.

Take the Kadri for Pesce idea. Would that be a good deal for the Leafs to make? Maybe. Is it one they should consider if it's in front of them? Absolutely. Can they force Carolina to make that trade if they're not interested? No. Is the offer so good that Carolina would have no recourse but to accept? No.

I appreciate that making specific criticisms is a lot harder than just "STUPID DUBAS! MAKE THE DEFENSE GOODER!!!" and trying to avoid them when pressed by ducking the question is a solid attempt to seem reasonable but it's also fairly transparent.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2019, 12:32:00 PM »
When’s the Leafsens Uber video coming out?

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
I liked the narrative of Brown being a 6th round pick and becoming a solid player on his local/childhood team so from that point of view sad to see a solid honest player go. But he was overpaid for his role and hopefully will get a chance to take on a bigger role put in Ottawa and have a solid career
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »
I liked the narrative of Brown being a 6th round pick and becoming a solid player on his local/childhood team so from that point of view sad to see a solid honest player go. But he was overpaid for his role and hopefully will get a chance to take on a bigger role put in Ottawa and have a solid career
That's what the cap does. Good luck to Brown. Honest player. Funny Ceci is coming to the Leafs with the same kind of thing from Ottawa.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »