Author Topic: Luongo announces his retirement  (Read 711 times)

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Luongo announces his retirement
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »
Good guy, great goalie, but the few years he was affiliated with the Canucks made him more annoying by association.  He is way more likable off that team.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »
My understanding is after which is really stupid when you thing about it. Contract was signed in good faith and under the rules. NHL introduces new rules in cba after, that effect contracts signed under old cba.

The contracts were legal at the time but I'd have a hard time saying they were signed in good faith. It's no coincidence that virtually all of them have essentially ended exactly at the time the tacked on cheap years kicked in. It was a form of cap circumvention that the league foolishly didn't see coming. I do agree that penalizing teams after the fact is dumb though.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 04:23:43 PM »
The contracts were legal at the time but I'd have a hard time saying they were signed in good faith. It's no coincidence that virtually all of them have essentially ended exactly at the time the tacked on cheap years kicked in. It was a form of cap circumvention that the league foolishly didn't see coming. I do agree that penalizing teams after the fact is dumb though.

They were signed in good faith between the players and the teams. Doing things that live up to the letter of a CBA but are designed to give your team an advantage is basically just modern pro sports GM'ing. There was really nothing "bad faith" about those deals that couldn't be said of the recent signing bonus boom.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline caveman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »

They were signed in good faith between the players and the teams. Doing things that live up to the letter of a CBA but are designed to give your team an advantage is basically just modern pro sports GM'ing. There was really nothing "bad faith" about those deals that couldn't be said of the recent signing bonus boom.

Exactly..good faith refers to the dealings between employer and employee...in this case the governing body needs to amend the rules to avoid the situation going forward...the salary cap sucks...bring on the soft cap with a luxury tax...

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 05:32:08 PM »

I don't really think excessive signing bonuses are comparable to adding multiple years to a contract that neither the team nor the player really intended to have played out.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 05:33:59 PM »
I have to think that Luongo has an offer from Sportsnet or TSN, like today.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 05:39:36 PM »
I don't really think excessive signing bonuses are comparable to adding multiple years to a contract that neither the team nor the player really intended to have played out.

It's comparable in as much as its teams looking at the rules of the CBA and trying to figure out how to give themselves an advantage within those confines.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 06:42:42 PM »
Word is he's getting a front office job with the Panthers but he would be great.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »

As much as I'd love for that to happen, sounds like he and his family are quite content on settling in Florida for the rest of their lives.

Great goalie.  Was hoping he finished the deal in 2011.