Author Topic: 2019-2020 NHL Thread  (Read 11449 times)

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Re: 2019-2020 NHL Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »

JT Compher is apparently re-signed in Colorado at 4 years/3.5 million AAV which seems now to basically be the standard "He's ok, with some potential and had a decent year" deal for younger guys.

Going into the off-season I thought Colorado might be a team to watch for an offer sheet because of all of their cap space and the fact that they've already got a really good prospect base so they could take the draft pick hit a little better than most. After the Compher signing though and assuming Rantanen gets at least 8 or 9 they're only going to have 6 or 7 million left. Still crazy to think they get four more years of Mackinnon at 6.3
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 02:03:23 PM »
Were we not all thinking MacKinnon’s deal was a severe underpay? Given that his only issue was shooting percentage?

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 02:07:30 PM »
Were we not all thinking MacKinnon’s deal was a severe underpay? Given that his only issue was shooting percentage?

At the time? I think a lot of people just looked at his production and worried if he'd ever fulfill his potential.

That said, people can say what they want about Ferris but it's Nathan Mackinnon's agent who is probably keeping big time RFA's from signing 7 and 8 year deals.
-Karl Marx

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 03:08:58 PM »
And Scheifele’s and to a lesser extent Barkov’s and Hampus Lindholm’s.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:11:38 PM by herman »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 03:09:58 PM »
I think that we all knew MacKinnon was capable of more but his first 3 seasons he scored at an 82-game pace of 63 points, 48 points, and then 59 points. Regardless of his shooting percentage, those were underwhelming numbers. It's MacKinnon's/his agents fault for not opting for a shorter term deal but on a long-term contract his AAV was probably right where it should have been based off his first 3 years in the NHL.

I mean Nylander had back to back 60 point seasons and signed for virtually the exact same cap hit percentage and we all know what the reaction to that was.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 03:13:06 PM »
MacKinnon also followed up that contract extension with just a 53-point season. I bet Avs management was getting pretty worried about him meeting his draft hype after that one (and then he of course did).

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 03:15:48 PM »
Random factoid while I was looking into that: It took MacKinnon 5 seasons and 374 games to score 114 goals. Matthews has 111 in 3 seasons and 212 games.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 03:16:14 PM »
MacKinnon also followed up that contract extension with just a 53-point season. I bet Avs management was getting pretty worried about him meeting his draft hype after that one (and then he of course did).

I'm really hoping we look back at the Nylander deal in 2 years and comment on it being an absolute steal of deal.  He has the talent to far outperform that number, I hope he does it.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 03:59:37 PM »

So this is just sort of idle nonsense slow news day thinking but it's been such a long time since we've had a real best-on-best tournament I couldn't help but think about what a current Team Canada roster would look like. Here's my best guess:

Marchand-McDavid-Mackinnon
Bergeron-Crosby-Point
Scheifele-Tavares-Marner
Benn-Toews-Seguin
Couturier
Monahan

Burns-Giordano
Parayko-Pietrangelo
Doughty-Keith
Rielly

Price
Holtby
Fleury/Murray

Man, we really need a good international tournament again. That team would be bananas fun to watch.
-Karl Marx

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 04:11:02 PM »

So this is just sort of idle nonsense slow news day thinking but it's been such a long time since we've had a real best-on-best tournament I couldn't help but think about what a current Team Canada roster would look like. Here's my best guess:

Marchand-McDavid-Mackinnon
Bergeron-Crosby-Point
Scheifele-Tavares-Marner
Benn-Toews-Seguin
Couturier
Monahan

Burns-Giordano
Parayko-Pietrangelo
Doughty-Keith
Rielly

Price
Holtby
Fleury/Murray

Man, we really need a good international tournament again. That team would be bananas fun to watch.

Pretty ridiculous depth when a player like Taylor Hall, one year removed from a Hart and still in his prime, doesn't make the cut and I'm struggling to pick a player to take of your team to include him.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 04:18:45 PM »
Pretty ridiculous depth when a player like Taylor Hall, one year removed from a Hart and still in his prime, doesn't make the cut and I'm struggling to pick a player to take of your team to include him.

To top that off, I forgot Stamkos. So he probably takes Monahan's spot there and bumps Marner or Point or someone.
-Karl Marx

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2019, 04:20:04 PM »
Here's my team, while trying to keep a L-R split on the wings and defence since it's something the coaching staff has found important in the past:

Point-McDavid-MacKinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-Tavares-Marner
Toews-Scheifele-Stone
Stamkos-Giroux

Giordano-Doughty
Keith-Pietrangelo
Vlasic-Burns
Rielly-Parakyo

Price
Holtby
Fleury

Pretty similar for the most part, mostly line shuffling changes. I doubt the Crosby line gets broken up, although it's crazy to think that they might/wouldn't be the top line this time around.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2019, 04:21:17 PM »
Now do Team Canada with a Team North America in the picture.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »
The Sochi team was arguably the most dominant hockey team ever and it still had some questionable players on the roster like Marleau, Kunitz, Sharp, Hamhuis, and Bouwmeester. Plus some good but slower/older players like Carter, Perry, Getzlaf, and Nash. The rosters here don't have/need any of those players, but there's still a good amount of veteran and defensive presence. It'd be a slaughter.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 04:28:40 PM »
Now do Team Canada with a Team North America in the picture.

I think the only guys affected on my roster would be Point and Marner. So take them off and replace them with O'Reilly and Stone.
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 04:28:40 PM »