Author Topic: Mitch Marner: what now?  (Read 36006 times)

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Marner: what now?
« Reply #1485 on: August 22, 2019, 03:21:39 PM »
Well if Marner and company are holding out for Matthews money, Theyd better start seeing if any other teams agree with Bolland that hes better than Matthews, because Im pretty certain he wont get close to a Matthews deal in Toronto.

I'm sure there would be some GM that would pay Marner 12M+ if he was a UFA and there was no compensation required.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1485 on: August 22, 2019, 03:21:39 PM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: August 22, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »

I think people are wildly overstating the importance of things like "They're not even negotiating" or "They haven't even made an offer!" while we're this far out from camp. Because NHL contracts aren't that complicated, even with structures and bonus money taken into account, a real desire to see a deal done can get one done in 20 minutes. Not negotiating is a tactic used by both team and player to try and have an impact on the eventual negotiations.

I get because of the Nylander thing people here might be inclined to tear their hair out and panic but having one of these RFA's signed now vs. signed two or three weeks from now makes literally no difference to either player or team. Even the old joke about wanting to sign guys in early july so you can get to the cottage early doesn't apply these days with cell phones and the year round schedule everyone's on.

We're going to be hearing a lot of things like "Maybe I'll play in Europe" or "I'm not even that committed to playing in Winnipeg" or "I don't even like Hockey and am going to become the world's greatest marine biologist" over the next few weeks so it's no use losing your mind over it.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 22, 2019, 03:45:33 PM »
From that article Carlton shared...
"I'm not saying Matthews is anything less but I'm saying as myself, I see Marner as a top guy that when [head coach Mike] Babcock looks down the bench, he seems to look for Marner," Bolland said.

Actually, Babcock was looking for John Tavares.

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: August 22, 2019, 04:00:25 PM »
more then 8.5 and we are over paying. so 8.5 over six yrs is the deal we offer take it or leave it. I think that is a fair deal.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 22, 2019, 04:20:29 PM »
Whether you think it's a fair deal or not, you don't adopt a "take it or leave it" attitude for a premier player like Marner.

That's an offer you make when you're looking to add a part-time painter to your painting business and you've got 12 applicants you can choose from.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: August 22, 2019, 05:09:05 PM »
From MLHS:

In this particular case, if you look at the history of the agent who represents Mitch Darren Ferris, who is based in Toronto and some of his contract battles with some of the previous teams, several of his clients have either gone over to train or talked about going overseas. One was Josh Anderson in Columbus, one was Athanasiou in Detroit, one was Sam Bennett in Calgary. When this came out the other day, I dont think anybody saw it as a huge surprise.

I think the frustration is that if you want to do a long-term deal, they just havent moved anywhere. I think that the organization is really frustrated by that that it isnt going anywhere. The other thing, too, is that I just think there is a really feeling with the Leafs that what happened with Nylander, theyre not doing that again. Theyre not going through that again. They are not signing a guy on December 1st. I just think there is a lot of frustration because of all of that.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 22, 2019, 06:09:11 PM »

8.5 is what Draisaitl got after putting up 137 points in 191 games.

Marner has 224 points in 241 games.
-Mark Twain

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 22, 2019, 06:29:48 PM »

8.5 is what Draisaitl got after putting up 137 points in 191 games.

Marner has 224 points in 241 games.

8.5 is what Draisaitl got after dominating a playoff run while playing center. Perspective kinda matters. And most thought the Draisaitl contract was too much too soon.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 22, 2019, 06:45:11 PM »

Hey, you know those hockey writers who don't watch any games and just look a guy up online to see what position he's listed at and then vote for him at the wrong position for the end of year all-star teams?

Well, we've found their constituency.
-Mark Twain

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 22, 2019, 06:49:57 PM »

Hey, you know those hockey writers who don't watch any games and just look a guy up online to see what position he's listed at and then vote for him at the wrong position for the end of year all-star teams?

Well, we've found their constituency.

Not quite, Draisaitl was playing center back then. Maybe you weren't watching.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 22, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 22, 2019, 07:09:46 PM »
Not in the playoffs he wasn't. Here's an example:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/dan-barnes-leon-draisaitl-leads-oilers-to-total-beat-down-of-ducks

From your article:

Hes been a horse, said Zack Kassian. Everyone knows how good he is in here. Sometimes he doesnt get enough credit because he plays with (Connor McDavid). But we all know what hes capable of.

From my article:

Draisaitl and McDavid were linemates for months last season and into round two of the playoffs before Draisaitl centred his own line against the Anaheim Ducks, going head-to-head with Ryan Getzlaf.

Here's Draisaitl's line combo % from the playoffs, it's virtually unchanged from the regular season:

Still with McDavid

They tried Draisaitl at C for a couple games near the end of the Anaheim series but he was still McDavid's winger for the regular season and the bulk of the playoffs.
-Mark Twain

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 22, 2019, 07:13:04 PM »
Not in the playoffs he wasn't. Here's an example:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/dan-barnes-leon-draisaitl-leads-oilers-to-total-beat-down-of-ducks

From your article:

Hes been a horse, said Zack Kassian. Everyone knows how good he is in here. Sometimes he doesnt get enough credit because he plays with (Connor McDavid). But we all know what hes capable of.

From my article:

Draisaitl and McDavid were linemates for months last season and into round two of the playoffs before Draisaitl centred his own line against the Anaheim Ducks, going head-to-head with Ryan Getzlaf.

Here's Draisaitl's line combo % from the playoffs, it's virtually unchanged from the regular season:

Still with McDavid

They tried Draisaitl at C for a couple games near the end of the Anaheim series but he was still McDavid's winger for the regular season and the bulk of the playoffs.

He played center and played it well making the Oilers confident he would be their number 2. You make it sound like he has to play wing. He plays wing most of the time because they have no one else good enough to play center with McDavid. Many articles about his contract talk about this.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 22, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »
Draisaitl played some centre in his 3rd season, both in the regular season and playoffs, but the majority of his time was still spent on the wing with McDavid. When he signed his new deal the conversation was still "can he centre his own line" and honestly that's still not really something that's been answered because he's primarily been used as a winger even since then.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1499 on: August 22, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »