Author Topic: Mitch Marner: what now?  (Read 36009 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Marner: what now?
« Reply #810 on: June 28, 2019, 01:58:02 PM »
I don't know how contract guarantees and insurance and all that works but what if he signs say a 3x8 or whatever and then had a career-ending injury?  Wouldn't he have been better off locking in an 8x10?

Well I think 5 becomes the new standard, not 3. But in any event I think the idea that RFAs are terrified about career-ending injuries is pretty overblown. I mean Matthews didn't seem to care and he's had his fair share of injury problems in his early hockey career already.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #810 on: June 28, 2019, 01:58:02 PM »

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 28, 2019, 02:02:38 PM »
I heard a Burke interview and he seems to think the hold up with Marner is term, not dollars. Apparently 10 mill is the number, Leafs want 8 Marner wants 5. He doesn't buy the 2 year bridge deal either or an offer sheet for Marner. Like everyone else with an opinion, we'll see who's right in the end.

The term thing has been brought up by others too. Pretty much no chance he signs for 8 or even 7 years. This is where I really don't blame him, elite stars shouldn't be locking themselves into a rate for that long and it's probably a trend that we'll see happen more and more.

I don't know how contract guarantees and insurance and all that works but what if he signs say a 3x8 or whatever and then had a career-ending injury?  Wouldn't he have been better off locking in an 8x10?
There is always that risk. Burke also mentioned that in his interview. Players are more antsy to sign when they're playing because injuries happen. He said JT and Marner both risked injury but once they're not playing, the urgency to sign goes away. Generally they don't get nasty injuries during the off season so they're in no hurry to sign.

Offline Hobbes

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 28, 2019, 02:16:28 PM »

Well I think 5 becomes the new standard, not 3. But in any event I think the idea that RFAs are terrified about career-ending injuries is pretty overblown. I mean Matthews didn't seem to care and he's had his fair share of injury problems in his early hockey career already.

I believe that the player is guaranteed the full amount of his salary on LTIR and the team reclaims that through insurance. They're required to show up for an entrance physical and an exit physical each year to prove they're unfit to play. There are some exceptions to that...Horton isn't covered by insurance because his was a pre-existing condition when he signed his deal so the Leafs have been paying it out of their own pockets...and their willingness to do so is how they were able to swap him for Clarkson's contract. The cash-poor Jackets at least got a warm body to play for them vs shelling out all that money to a guy who would never play again.

I assume there's some element of job security and injury protection going through a player's mind, but overall I would expect a star player would want shorter term up until the time where he can expect to begin tailing off in production (so he can re-up at very high salaries to keep up with inflation) and then when he's on the downhill part of his career he would want to push for longer term (like Marleau wanted). For the middle and lower tier player I'd expect longer term job security becomes much more appealing.
It's not denial...I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 28, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »

I'm not sure if 5 is the new standard for the elite. Crosby, Kane, Toews, Kessel, Malkin, Bergeron all signed 5 year deals, albeit at smaller dollars.
As for the injury front, you may be correct but I believe some players know they have a limited shelf life regardless of injury.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 28, 2019, 02:18:55 PM »
Well, I would hope that the players' agent would be bringing the injury issue to the fore.  At the kind of money we are talking about, the player is set for life anyhow but there is a significant difference in dollars.  To me, I'd lock in $80M or what have you (which may be I dunno $60M? after taxes and fees etc.) and then get back to playing video games and doing gymwork.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 28, 2019, 02:52:31 PM »

I love that Ferris' first name is also Darren.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 28, 2019, 03:17:32 PM »

Kristen spelled Dreger wrong in the brackets.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 28, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »

If a player is really that terrified of a career ending injury, which are pretty rare even in a sport like hockey, they can get an insurance policy that protects them in that event.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 28, 2019, 03:41:04 PM »

Kristen spelled Dreger wrong in the brackets.
OMG I LOL'd right there!!!

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 28, 2019, 03:41:47 PM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 28, 2019, 03:45:39 PM »

Laine really is the guy who interests me the most outside of Marner. Obviously his bad year is a factor but he's still the only RFA out there who I think could maybe make a case for getting more than Marner on merit. The fact that he hasn't signed makes me wonder if there's a big gap in terms of just how much his down year should matter.
-Mark Twain

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 28, 2019, 04:20:37 PM »
Point can make case for deserving more than Marner. Rantanen can.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 28, 2019, 04:33:18 PM »
Point can make case for deserving more than Marner. Rantanen can.
Point for sure. Rantanen, not so sure but up there. I know if I had my choice of RFA's I'd take Point 1st, Marner 2nd. McAvoy would be top 4 or 5.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 28, 2019, 04:41:16 PM »

If a player is really that terrified of a career ending injury, which are pretty rare even in a sport like hockey, they can get an insurance policy that protects them in that event.

I don't think any insurance company is going to write a policy that will pay them tens of millions in lost potential income ... would they?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 28, 2019, 04:43:51 PM »
I don't think any insurance company is going to write a policy that will pay them tens of millions in lost potential income ... would they?

Insurance companies will insure anything for just about any amount of money if you pay a sufficient premium. I mean as is teams get insurance on contracts that can pay tens of millions of dollars.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #824 on: June 28, 2019, 04:43:51 PM »