Author Topic: Mitch Marner: what now?  (Read 35680 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Marner: what now?
« Reply #795 on: June 28, 2019, 10:58:55 AM »
Friedman is saying Leafs offered a short term 2 x $8M deal so Marner can go back to the well in year 3 when presumably there's a new TV deal and the cap is higher.

I think that's purely speculation on his part - that it's something they might be considering as a plan if they can't get something longer done, etc. Not that it has actually been offered at this point.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #795 on: June 28, 2019, 10:58:55 AM »

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 28, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »
I just want a contract signed, any contract just so I can quit reading up about Marner's contract demands and move on to seeing how the Leafs improve their team.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 28, 2019, 11:03:45 AM »
Dreger's literally giving us a play-by-play here. More than we've seen from other negotiations. He's not getting the info from Dubas, and it's incredibly unlikely he's making things up. So that leaves only one possibility.

Don't get me started on Dreger, who I think is an absolute blowhard. 

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 28, 2019, 11:05:25 AM »
I said before I'd do a 3-year deal at $8mil. I don't know about 2 years though. Seems like a small difference but that's a full extra Cup run.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 28, 2019, 11:06:26 AM »
Dreger's literally giving us a play-by-play here. More than we've seen from other negotiations. He's not getting the info from Dubas, and it's incredibly unlikely he's making things up. So that leaves only one possibility.

He said on the radio every tweet he posts is 100% facts?

spec·u·la·tion
/ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: speculation; plural noun: speculations

1. the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 28, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »

He said on the radio every tweet he posts is 100% facts?

spec·u·la·tion
/ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: speculation; plural noun: speculations

1. the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

I'm not following -- is this to suggest he is speculating, or is this confirmation that he is indeed being leaked info?

For me, I just find him irrelevant now.  I don't put much stock in what he has to offer anymore. 

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 28, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
I heard a Burke interview and he seems to think the hold up with Marner is term, not dollars. Apparently 10 mill is the number, Leafs want 8 Marner wants 5. He doesn't buy the 2 year bridge deal either or an offer sheet for Marner. Like everyone else with an opinion, we'll see who's right in the end.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 28, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »
I heard a Burke interview and he seems to think the hold up with Marner is term, not dollars. Apparently 10 mill is the number, Leafs want 8 Marner wants 5. He doesn't buy the 2 year bridge deal either or an offer sheet for Marner. Like everyone else with an opinion, we'll see who's right in the end.

The term thing has been brought up by others too. Pretty much no chance he signs for 8 or even 7 years. This is where I really don't blame him, elite stars shouldn't be locking themselves into a rate for that long and it's probably a trend that we'll see happen more and more.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 28, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »

The term thing has been brought up by others too. Pretty much no chance he signs for 8 or even 7 years. This is where I really don't blame him, elite stars shouldn't be locking themselves into a rate for that long and it's probably a trend that we'll see happen more and more.

Yeah, I do understand it.  I mean I don't love the idea of 10 million for shorter term, I can absolutely understand it over 8 years. 

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 28, 2019, 01:34:24 PM »

I'm no math wizard, but he wants 5, Leafs want 8, 5+8=13/2=6.5.  Let's meet at a 6 year deal and call it a day.

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 28, 2019, 01:34:48 PM »
I just don't get it.  This is how negotiations go.  He saw how the Nylander and Matthews negotiations played out and now he wants his own.  And deservedly so.  Don't understand why Marner of all players should be made the example of at this point or be the target of dislike from the fans.

If he entertains offers from other teams, so be it.  That's a tool players can use and i don't see why more players don't use it (provided there are willing teams to engage).

The differences were pretty clearly laid out. Neither Nylander or Matthews sought out or entertained offer sheets. And the amount of negotiating through the media for Nylander and Matthews combined doesn't even come close to what we've seen with Marner in just the last few weeks. Matthews' in particular was pretty much kept entirely under wraps until it was announced. Maybe it doesn't bother you, and that's fine, but these are nowhere close to being the same kinds of negotiations.

I agree 100% with Carlton in that thru DD we’re getting what I think is Paul Marner’s “input”. That and the fact Mitch is a home town boy and Leaf fans are taking this stance real or imagined as an insult.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 28, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »

I'm no math wizard, but he wants 5, Leafs want 8, 5+8=13/2=6.5.  Let's meet at a 6 year deal and call it a day.
Yup, he comes up when JT does and with JT off the books, the dollars will be there for him, if he's still a Leaf. Do it!!

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 28, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »

Yup, he comes up when JT does and with JT off the books, the dollars will be there for him, if he's still a Leaf. Do it!!

I mean it's good cause it's an extra year and all, but really the Leafs wouldn't have any sort of cap problem even if Marner signed for 5 years.  Yes, Matthews, Marner and Nylander would all be up in the same summer, but you know how many players they currently have signed in 2024-2025?  1.  I'm pretty sure they would know how to allocate the dollars based on the cap.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 28, 2019, 01:53:23 PM »
Yes, Matthews, Marner and Nylander would all be up in the same summer, but you know how many players they currently have signed in 2024-2025?  1.  I'm pretty sure they would know how to allocate the dollars based on the cap.

Their 3rd contracts will all be so much easier to negotiate than their 2nd too. You know exactly what you've got by then.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 28, 2019, 01:55:34 PM »

I don't know how contract guarantees and insurance and all that works but what if he signs say a 3x8 or whatever and then had a career-ending injury?  Wouldn't he have been better off locking in an 8x10?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #809 on: June 28, 2019, 01:55:34 PM »