Author Topic: Mitch Marner: what now?  (Read 44253 times)

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Marner: what now?
« Reply #1515 on: September 04, 2019, 08:11:29 PM »
The only NHL player who deserves over 10M/yr is McDavid who can single-handed carry a team.  If Marner wants >10M/yr, let him sit.

I'm always puzzled by this sort of statement because I have absolutely no idea where the logic is. No hockey player "deserves" 10 million dollars a year if we're talking about some sort of utilitarian "contributions to public good" sense. The only way these guys deserve a fraction of what they're getting is by trying to peg their economic value in a free market. And in that sense, quite clearly, quite a few guys are worth 10 million a season and quite likely much more than that.

Also, as good as McDavid is, I don't think he's far and away the best player in the league. His value's high because of his talent and youth but if I were starting a team from scratch to win the cup next year I don't know if I'd take him over Crosby.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 05, 2019, 05:48:47 AM »
Also, as good as McDavid is, I don't think he's far and away the best player in the league. His value's high because of his talent and youth but if I were starting a team from scratch to win the cup next year I don't know if I'd take him over Crosby.

I take both! Top that!

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1516 on: September 05, 2019, 05:48:47 AM »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 09, 2019, 01:20:51 PM »

Everyone's back to work (except for me haha)
#BeBlessed

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 10, 2019, 05:29:50 AM »
McKenzie threw out some numbers on the Marner salary concundrum:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 05:32:57 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 10, 2019, 12:40:40 PM »
I think the purpose of the bridge, for the Leafs, is to get Marner under a contract that doesn't necessitate any more ugly roster or asset-management decisions in the next few years. The QO coming out of the deal doesn't mean that much, especially since they won't be able to sign him for any less than the high-end of that last year ($14M, say) anyway, given cap inflation.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 10, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/marner-doesnt-case-argue-auston-matthews-money/

The battle lines have been drawn:
Team Marner TSN Bell Parrot: Darren Dreger
Team Dubas Sportsnet Rogers Analysis: Chris Johnston
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:37:47 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 10, 2019, 01:37:18 PM »
I'm happy to say it for the umpteenth time. I genuinely can't believe that, during the lockouts, so many hockey fans were in favour of having this sort of player compensation system. Isn't this fun? To think about players and their contributions entirely in dollars and cents and value for services provided? Aren't these drawn out negotiations a blast? Isn't it just so engaging as a fan when a team making the kind of money the Leafs do are afraid of Mitch Marner getting to free agency early because they might not be able to re-sign him?

But hey, at least Carolina and Phoenix didn't go out of business. Enjoy that you bootlicking supplicants. 
-Karl Marx

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 10, 2019, 01:48:55 PM »
If the Leaf's are going to do a bridge with Marner that leads to a $13 or $14 million qualifying offer they may as well just go for the Matthews type dollars right now long term. Correct the roster now and move forward.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 10, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »
I think Bob's numbers are nuts.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 10, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »
I think Bob's numbers are nuts.

Those aren't "Bobs numbers"  He states "Many throw around $9M or 10M AAV" as in, that's what some pundits are throwing around as a possible 3 year bridge deal.

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 10, 2019, 02:36:46 PM »
If the Leaf's are going to do a bridge with Marner that leads to a $13 or $14 million qualifying offer they may as well just go for the Matthews type dollars right now long term. Correct the roster now and move forward.

There are no more "corrections" they can make to the roster. It's pretty well optimized from a cap perspective. Are they going to trade Andersen or Rielly? The RFAs they've signed within the last year? Maybe a big-dollar vet on the wrong side of the aging curve? They've still got, uh, Tavares? We know Cody Ceci can't be moved without destroying Toronto's reputation throughout the league, so that's out.

Just "pay him Matthews money now so you don't have to exceed that in 4 years" isn't an option.

Hence the bridge.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 10, 2019, 03:10:55 PM »
Nothing particularly surprising here, but an update from Friedman's first 31 Thoughts of the season:

2. It is impossible to write or talk about Marner without offending someone, so here is my attempt at a bias-free take: Itís tense and personal. My belief is Toronto is willing to go to an $11-million AAV, but only if he signs for seven years. Iíd heard both sides might agree to two years ó then let arbitration sort it out ó but a few sources threw cold water on that. I mentioned during a radio hit last week the rumour that Marnerís representatives pitched a three-year contract with a structure similar to the Meier/Werenski setup, with the third season as high as $15 million. However, Iím told that was several months ago and is no longer relevant, although both sides have continued to explore that kind of an option. I donít sense things are anywhere close.

Turning down $11mil x 7 (the Tavares deal) would be insane for Marner. Come on.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:12:32 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 10, 2019, 03:28:46 PM »

Indeed.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 10, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »
Nothing particularly surprising here, but an update from Friedman's first 31 Thoughts of the season:

2. It is impossible to write or talk about Marner without offending someone, so here is my attempt at a bias-free take: Itís tense and personal. My belief is Toronto is willing to go to an $11-million AAV, but only if he signs for seven years. Iíd heard both sides might agree to two years ó then let arbitration sort it out ó but a few sources threw cold water on that. I mentioned during a radio hit last week the rumour that Marnerís representatives pitched a three-year contract with a structure similar to the Meier/Werenski setup, with the third season as high as $15 million. However, Iím told that was several months ago and is no longer relevant, although both sides have continued to explore that kind of an option. I donít sense things are anywhere close.

Trade him. They aren't negotiating in good faith. Take a hike. Maybe that's the hard pill to swallow for everyone involved.

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George Costanza thinks he should make as much money as Ted Danson on Cheers and everyone keeps telling him: YOU AREN'T TED DANSON!

I think there's a team out there desperate for a star winger who're willing to give up pieces we need more pressingly than Marner.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 10, 2019, 03:42:22 PM »
Trade him. They aren't negotiating in good faith.

Thinking his value is higher than you do doesn't constitute negotiating in bad faith. Especially when he's probably more right about his value in an absolute sense.
-Karl Marx