Author Topic: Mitch Marner: what now?  (Read 37214 times)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Marner: what now?
« Reply #1035 on: July 11, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »
I'm not saying a reasonable agent would sign a contract, I think that they'd be easier to work with. It could be a front, but I don't know if I'd want to work with an agent that pulls a bunch of crap in negotiations that ultimately just make things worse for all parties.

If they're not any more willing to meet on contract terms I don't see how they're all that easier to work with. Beyond that, you seem to be confusing the fact that you don't like what you think Marner's reps are doing with what effect they're likely to have on Dubas and company(and, likewise, you probably have to show your math on anything "making things worse" for all parties).

All Dubas is likely to care about is the numbers he has to work with. So long as none of these big deal RFAs are signed, I think it's premature to say who is "easier" to work with just based on what information filters down to us.

Sure but conjecture is fun and all that  ;)
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1035 on: July 11, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 11, 2019, 03:51:27 PM »
Twitter is down as of now.  I can only assume Marner signed and broke it.

He could have signed a deal in the past hour and we'd have no way of knowing this is wild.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 11, 2019, 04:18:53 PM »
Twitter's back. I'm going to assume it crashed because this guy called Wayne Gretzky a "below average shooter" while trying to argue how great Marner is:

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 11, 2019, 04:25:19 PM »

I wouldn't call Gretzky a below average shooter but he wasn't a world beating goal scorer once goaltenders stopped smoking cigarettes and eating cheeseburgers between periods.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 11, 2019, 04:43:47 PM »

I wouldn't call Gretzky a below average shooter but he wasn't a world beating goal scorer once goaltenders stopped smoking cigarettes and eating cheeseburgers between periods.

Yeah I certainly get it wasn't the best part of the game but still a heck of a thing to say about the league's all-time leading goal scorer. All in an attempt to prop Marner up.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 11, 2019, 04:55:21 PM »
Twitter's back. I'm going to assume it crashed because this guy called Wayne Gretzky a "below average shooter" while trying to argue how great Marner is:

Marner an above average shooter?? Yeah ok.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 11, 2019, 05:16:41 PM »

rolly eyes emoji.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 11, 2019, 05:38:26 PM »

True, but he was still a better scorer than anybody else.

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 11, 2019, 05:45:30 PM »
I would argue that the best of every generation would reproduce that in any generation. They are generally the smartest and hardest working and that would translate to each generation. IE: If Gretzky played when everyone physically trained all summer to get stronger and faster so would he and the results would be the same. What seems impossible is comparing generations while not considering advancements in pretty much everything.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 11, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »
What The Great One said about the Leafs Matthews & Marner in comparison to himself & Messier:

Circa 2018 (Reddit)

Not that we're the exact same kind of players, but in a lot of ways Marner and Matthews remind me a lot of how Mark Messier and I were together. One guy is a little bit faster, more physical, stronger, obviously, and the other guy was a little bit more of a hockey guy. And so, I see a lot of similarities between myself and Mark with Marner and Matthews. And listen, obviously I cheer for the Oilers. I work with them and I want us to win a Stanley cup. But, Toronto's a fun team to watch. They play hard, they play properly and Mitch Marner's fun to watch."

So, sign him, Dubas! 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:53:08 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 11, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »

Sure, but it's always been a topic I've wanted to dig deeper into. For 4-6 years he scored at a level unheard of in the sport, before or since. Then, while still in what should have been his athletic prime, he was scoring roughly as many goals as someone like Dino Ciccarelli.

It's tough to say it was just a reflection of the time either because this is roughly the time when Brett Hull and Mario Lemieux were having years where they were scoring goals at a rate that was pretty close to Gretzky in those 4-6 years where he was lighting the world on fire.

So did the game shift drastically or did it have something to do with the calibre of players coming into the league or did teams just sort of figure out what Gretzky was doing and were able to stop a lot of it? Anyways, it's just something that's always interested me.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #1046 on: July 11, 2019, 06:40:01 PM »
]

So, sign him, Dubas!

I can’t believe he hadn’t thought of that  :o
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 11, 2019, 07:16:53 PM »
I think I speak for all here, "just sign the frikken contract Mitch", let us get on with our summer lives.  8)
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 11, 2019, 08:30:16 PM »
I think I speak for all here, "just sign the frikken contract Mitch", let us get on with our summer lives.  8)

My summer is going along just fine and so should yours.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 11, 2019, 08:46:17 PM »

Sure, but it's always been a topic I've wanted to dig deeper into. For 4-6 years he scored at a level unheard of in the sport, before or since. Then, while still in what should have been his athletic prime, he was scoring roughly as many goals as someone like Dino Ciccarelli.

It's tough to say it was just a reflection of the time either because this is roughly the time when Brett Hull and Mario Lemieux were having years where they were scoring goals at a rate that was pretty close to Gretzky in those 4-6 years where he was lighting the world on fire.

So did the game shift drastically or did it have something to do with the calibre of players coming into the league or did teams just sort of figure out what Gretzky was doing and were able to stop a lot of it? Anyways, it's just something that's always interested me.

Looking at his stats, he had a fair drop-off in shots from 85-86 to 86-87.  He still scored 62 goals in the latter year and had 183 points but it kind of looks like a significant decline in shots that appears to persist or decrease going forward.  (He only scored 52 goals in 85-86 but that looks likes shooting percentage blip.)  Maybe teams start universally selling out on him to prevent goals?  Which drop-off were you thinking of exactly?

After he is traded to LA, he’s getting a little older and his teammates are worse. He also had that back injury at a certain point.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1049 on: July 11, 2019, 08:46:17 PM »