Author Topic: Marlies sign 21-year old Justin Brazeau  (Read 2574 times)

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Marlies sign 21-year old Justin Brazeau
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 06:35:26 PM »
Brazeau looks to be streets ahead of where larger players like Gauthier and Marchment were when they were 21, by my very casual and not-at-all rigorous estimation. His shortcomings at this moment are apparently the result of not having sufficient coaching/training coming up through the system.

Which is probably like Georges St-Pierre saying his pain level is only a 3/10.  ;D  (I love your analysis... analyses??)
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »

Brazeau is currently recuperating from an injury sustained in the OHL playoffs, so we probably won't see him until next season.

I'm looking forward to learning more about him and Duszak and Conrad.
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2019, 10:34:06 AM »
https://theathletic.com/1012845/2019/06/07/how-the-leafs-acquired-justin-brazeau-a-big-kid-from-a-small-town-with-huge-plans/

Though the other team offered slightly more money on a two-year AHL contract, Brazeau and [agent*] Walters ultimately settled on the Leafs in part because of the initiative of their general manager. Dubas was the only general manager of an NHL team that reached out personally.

The second team of interest tabled a development plan that included a skating coach — who Brazeau would have had to pay for himself and work with a certain number of times a month — that was four hours away from the team’s trainers.

When Dubas explained the Leafs’ plan, he detailed a one-stop shop that included player development consultant Darryl Belfry, skills development coach Mike Ellis, skating consultant Barb Underhill and director of athlete performance Rich Rotenberg.

And when it came time to make a decision and the Brazeaus came to Walters and [North Bay Battalion's coach/GM] Butler with their questions, unsure what the right choice was, Walters — after some admittedly sleepless nights — gave them his advice.

“I said ‘Look guys, Toronto is going to be heavily, heavily invested in providing you an opportunity.’ And the closing statement which closed us was Dubas said ‘John, if this guy doesn’t play a game for the Toronto Maple Leafs then we’ve failed.’ So to me it was like ‘How could you go wrong?’” Walters said.

* John Walters is Josh Leivo's agent as well.

We also have a poop-ton of JvR videos, so guess what this guy is going to get to study off of.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:37:59 AM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 10:47:24 AM »
Just read the article in the Athletic this morning.  Hope it works out for the kid, good work by Dubas with that personal touch to convince him to sign.  Little things can go a long way.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 10:20:09 PM »
I loved this clip from the Athletic (not sure I am able to do this but what the Frik)

"Brazeau, a natural athlete who once won Northern Ontario’s junior golf championship, can run a mile in 5:30 despite his size 16 shoes, and also excelled in basketball and volleyball".

Golf is the most hand to eye sport in the world, he has it, I think we may have found a real sleeper in this kid and all because Dubas was the only NHL GM to pick up a phone and call him.  Hope Barb can help him gain a step or two as he seems to have all the tools, goes to the net and at 6'6" and 225 will be a real screen.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 09:11:37 AM »
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-investing-justin-brazeau/

Nothing particularly new, but not everyone read the previously linked article.
#BeBlessed

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »

Underhill is dismantling Brazeau’s stride right down to the basics in order to rebuild it properly, like a golfer learning a new swing starting with the grip and stance.

No other team was offering the late-blooming prospect this level of investment and attention, so he’s banking on hard work and improvement to pay the Leafs back.

I wonder just how much Underhill can change his skating from poor to good enough.  Will be an interesting case study to follow. 

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 03:36:11 PM »

Underhill is dismantling Brazeau’s stride right down to the basics in order to rebuild it properly, like a golfer learning a new swing starting with the grip and stance.

No other team was offering the late-blooming prospect this level of investment and attention, so he’s banking on hard work and improvement to pay the Leafs back.

I wonder just how much Underhill can change his skating from poor to good enough.  Will be an interesting case study to follow. 
If the kid is willing to work hard I have little doubt he'll be an adequate NHL skater. JT was a terrible skater in junior by NHL standards and he gets around the rink pretty good these days.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »
If the kid is willing to work hard I have little doubt he'll be an adequate NHL skater. JT was a terrible skater in junior by NHL standards and he gets around the rink pretty good these days.

JT worked with Underhill's friend and current Arizona skating consultant, Dawn Braid.

For Barb's work thus far, you need not look further than Travis Dermott, Andreas Johnsson, Trevor Moore, Mason Marchment, Frederik Gauthier, and even Auston Matthews. In their brief time with the Leafs, Brian Boyle, Roman Polak also made significant strides.

Brazeau's case isn't one in which he's a terrible skater; he merely hasn't received any skating coaching up until now and made do with what he could control.
#BeBlessed

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2019, 06:36:24 PM »

JT worked with Underhill's friend and current Arizona skating consultant, Dawn Braid.

For Barb's work thus far, you need not look further than Travis Dermott, Andreas Johnsson, Trevor Moore, Mason Marchment, Frederik Gauthier, and even Auston Matthews. In their brief time with the Leafs, Brian Boyle, Roman Polak also made significant strides.

Brazeau's case isn't one in which he's a terrible skater; he merely hasn't received any skating coaching up until now and made do with what he could control.
I am sure he will improve, with the rest of what I have read about this kid, he could be an X factor Beast.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2019, 05:02:29 AM »

I wouldn't say he hasn't received any skating coaching. Growing up in New Liskeard and playing junior in North Bay isn't exactly the equivalent to playing hockey in Nunavet.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2019, 09:28:06 AM »
I wouldn't say he hasn't received any skating coaching. Growing up in New Liskeard and playing junior in North Bay isn't exactly the equivalent to playing hockey in Nunavet.

By his own admission he didn't really have access to power skating lessons until the OHL. Rink/ice-time availability was also a big issue for him growing up I read, especially in the summer. I mean compare that to a guy like Marner who started skating lessons at the age of 4 and had access to some of the top GTA skills coaches his entire life pretty much. Obviously not saying that Brazeau would be a PPG forward right now if he did but there's no denying he was at a significant disadvantage just because of where he grew up.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:30:57 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2019, 03:00:13 PM »
I read an article where Stan Butler said that it takes roughly 10000 hours or something like that in extra work to develop and NHL player. Brazeau, because of where he came from, was at least 2000 hrs behind. Butler also said his skating isn't as bad as people think. Said he never saw anyone catch him on a breakaway lol.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2019, 04:31:52 PM »

By his own admission he didn't really have access to power skating lessons until the OHL. Rink/ice-time availability was also a big issue for him growing up I read, especially in the summer. I mean compare that to a guy like Marner who started skating lessons at the age of 4 and had access to some of the top GTA skills coaches his entire life pretty much. Obviously not saying that Brazeau would be a PPG forward right now if he did but there's no denying he was at a significant disadvantage just because of where he grew up.

I live in Sudbury and grew up spending summers in New Liskeard. Perhaps when I played, summer ice wasn't quite as available, but for the past 15 years there's always at least two rinks with ice. There's also always really strong instructors available all year round. Good players find the instructors and the ice time.

Yes that's not near the availability of ice time/options as in Toronto but for him to pretend that his skating struggles because of where he is from is a complete stretch. I think it's more telling that he didn't really commit to hockey until he was 14. That may have a bigger part to do with his lack of skating development.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2019, 12:44:20 PM »
https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/prospect-need-to-know-thomsons-call-and-wjss-reports

TOR: Growing up in Northern Ontario, Justin Brazeau never took power skating lessons. The free agent signing has been working with Leafs guru Barb Underhill this summer and the team is over the moon with Brazeau’s progress. He’s a massive sniper, so this is an exciting development.

It's not surprising since it's possibly the biggest reason he signed here, but good to see that he's taking advantage of the resources now at his disposal.