Author Topic: Marlies sign 21-year old Justin Brazeau  (Read 2573 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Marlies sign 21-year old Justin Brazeau
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »
If they can get him to skate like Engvall... yowza

Some nice hands there, but yeah his skating looks a long way from being NHL calibre. At least from that one clip.

I always find it hard to tell with guys this big. They always look like they're moving slowly, but they're also making up so much ground with each stride.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »
Elliotte Friedman thought highly enough of Brazeau to give him 2 of his coveted 31 Thoughts last month:

9. The CHL playoffs are getting underway, and one series that will be getting NHL attention is Niagara-North Bay. The underdog Battalion feature an intriguing prospect, undrafted Justin Brazeau. The 21-year-old right-winger scored 61 goals in 68 games, just missing Nick Kypreos’s 62 from 1985-86. “I shut him down in the third period the last few games,” North Bay head coach and GM Stan Butler laughed Tuesday. “I didn’t want him to break Kypreos’s record.”

10. Brazeau is a big man. Six-foot-six, but a great athlete. Butler, given an opportunity to wax poetic on behalf of his player, launched into a filibuster so good he should be a Member of Parliament. “I don’t know why an NHL team hasn’t signed him,” he said. “It’s starting to concern me, I’m shocked it hasn’t happened.”

One of the problems as he sees it is that Brazeau comes from New Liskeard, Ont., a small town (now amalgamated into Timiskaming Shores) that is a six-hour drive northwest of Ottawa. “You know the theory about it taking 10,000 hours to perfect something?” Butler asks, referencing Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers. “Well, Brazeau is 2,000 hours behind any kid from Southern Ontario. He didn’t take power skating, didn’t have a skills coach, none of that stuff. But he’s improved every year, from six goals to 22 to 39 to 61. He’s a great athlete. People can say he’s not a great skater, but he can get from A to B. Just because he’s not pretty because he wears size 16 skates doesn’t mean he’s bad. I know the game is fast, but there is still room for a tall, skilled player.”

Butler also brought up Mark Giordano. “Calgary took a chance on him at age 20, for what, a $25,000 signing bonus? What’s the difference? If you’re going to gamble on an NCAA player at 24, why not this guy at 21?” Several teams will go see Brazeau, and Butler says he’s made a few calls on the player’s behalf. Columbus and Vegas are believed to be among those interested.

Online Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 03:05:03 PM »
"He's 6'6" all day every day"  - Mike Babcock probably.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 03:21:43 PM »
I'm just imagining three years down the road when Brazeau, Rasanen, Gordeev and Goatman are on the ice at the same time.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 03:24:21 PM »
Is it too late to convert him to defense
#BeBlessed

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 03:50:30 PM »
Goat is a forward??
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 05:37:36 PM »
Antropov 2.0!!  :D
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 08:45:57 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
Sure looks like a lot of OHL-level goals, that's for sure.
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
The one where he went 1-on-4 against the 67s... like what the heck was that RD doing haha.

Online Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 09:25:20 AM »
The Goat's skating was pretty suspect when he was drafted. 

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »
The Goat's skating was pretty suspect when he was drafted. 

I mean, it still is.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 09:35:57 AM »
Brazeau looks to be streets ahead of where larger players like Gauthier and Marchment were when they were 21, by my very casual and not-at-all rigorous estimation. His shortcomings at this moment are apparently the result of not having sufficient coaching/training coming up through the system.
#BeBlessed

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
The one where he went 1-on-4 against the 67s... like what the heck was that RD doing haha.
Getting out of the way!
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
Brazeau looks to be streets ahead of where larger players like Gauthier and Marchment were when they were 21, by my very casual and not-at-all rigorous estimation. His shortcomings at this moment are apparently the result of not having sufficient coaching/training coming up through the system.
Tons of potential, if he can pick up his skating. Will he start with the Marlies immediately?
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 10:34:48 AM »
Will he start with the Marlies immediately?

From what I can see, his contract starts next season. He has not signed an ATO with the Marlies yet, so he's currently not with the team. Not sure there is any room to get him ice time anyway.
#BeBlessed