Author Topic: 2019 Blue Jays General Discussion Thread  (Read 8890 times)

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Blue Jays General Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2019, 07:25:02 AM »
What the hell is the point of having a manager's challenge if they can just ask the umpires to check without a challenge?

Good point, TML.  It can probably be looked at as some sort of safety valve and to give managers something to work with, some sort of leverage, impetus and input.

The chart in this link (2019 season so far) shows the nearly 300+ challenges of which approx. a little over 125 were overturned.  221 (approximate) of these were initiated by managers and  31 (approximate) by umpires.  73% (managers) vs 10% (umpires).

https://www.retrosheet.org/Replay.htm

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2019, 07:25:02 AM »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2019, 07:32:08 AM »
The Stro Show was on full display as Jays starter Marcus  Stroman put forth a solid performance in striking out 6 and allowing only one earned run out of two in seven innings. Great, but the Jays once again wasted a fine mound performance in giving Stroman little to no offensive support, save for Galvis home run in the their 4-2 loss to the Chisox.

This lack of firepower has the Jays skipper Montoyo up in arms:

I cant explain it, Montoyo said of the Jays hitting woes. Honestly, I didnt see it coming like this. Our bats have not been there for the last couple of weeks. Everybody sees it.

Better luck tonight, Charlie.

Hi-lites & more:
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/blue-jays-vs-white-sox/2019/05/16/567284#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=567284
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:34:33 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2019, 07:45:28 AM »
What does Vlad have to say?  Some musings from Guerrero Jr, (courtesy of T.O Sun):

The more big-league at-bats he takes, the more Guerrero appears to be comfortable and getting in a groove.

That has been particularly evident over the past handful of games as the celebrated Jays rookie gets in synch with major-league pitching.

Its pretty much location, Guerrero said of the difference between what hes faced from arms in the majors versus triple-A. They hit the spots. Thats pretty much about it.

As for the upward trend in his offence, Guerrero said there were some kinks to be worked out the first couple of weeks as he made up for an abbreviated spring training.

I was working on some little things with my swing, Guerrero said. Thank God everything is going well. I feel pretty good right now.

Some interesting Vladdy fast facts:

Guerrero has been particularly adept facing right-handers, taking a .282 average (11-for-39) into Thursdays game. Against southpaws, hes just 1-for-15 to start his big-league career.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2019, 01:19:29 AM »
Thats more like it! 

The Blue Jays bats come to life and thump the Chisox 10-2, with Vladdy, Smoak, & Jansen hitting taters. 

Jays starter Aaron Sanchez left the game in the fourth inning having allowed three runs.  He was beset by blistered finger problems (again).  He was replaced by Sam Gaviglio who got the win, and Davy Guerra the save.

Hi-lites & more:
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/blue-jays-vs-white-sox/2019/05/17/567285#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=567285

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2019, 07:24:52 PM »
Rain, rain, go away!

That Galvis is something!

Our new Superman?

Hi-lites & more:
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/blue-jays-vs-white-sox/2019/05/18/567286#game_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=567286

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2019, 10:01:40 PM »
Nice day for home runs & some sunshine.

Jays hit three taters one each from McKinney, Guerrero, & Jansen.  Gain series split with the 5-2 win today.

Vladdys two-run shot that pulled the Jays ahead:

Jansens marvellous accuracy:

Hi-lites & more:
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/blue-jays-vs-white-sox/2019/05/19/567287#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=567287
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:04:20 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2019, 09:23:46 AM »

vs

Starting Pitchers:
Monday May 20  1pm
David Price LH RedSox  1-2  3.75 ERA  vs  Edwin Jackson RH Blue Jays  0-0  3.60 ERA

Tuesday May 21  7pm
Eduardo Rodriguez LH  Red Sox  4-2  4.89 ERA  vs  Marcus Stroman RH Blue Jays  1-6  2.95 ERA

Wednesday May 22  7pm
TBD(Red Sox)  vs  TBD Blue Jays)

Thursday May 23  12:30pm
Rick Purcells RH Red Sox  3-4  4.80 ERA  vs  TBD

All games on SN/SN1 & The FAN 590.

Source:  Sunsports,  MLB.com,  CBSsports

The Boston Red Sox (24-22) make their first trip of the season to the Rogers Centre to play a four-game series against the Blue Jays(19-27).

Things appear to be settling in place in the A.L. East as the NY Yankees now occupy first, having overtaken the Tampa Bay Rays for the honours.  The Bosox are in third, 4.5 GBL New York.   Looks like all is finally clicking for Boston after a slow, sluggish start to the season.

The Blue Jays?  Theyre just trying for respectability as they sit mired in fourth spot with a woefully anemic offence that sits 28th with a paltry .220 AV.  Their OBP ranks them 27th.  For comparison, Boston ranks sixth.

Not all is doom and gloom for the Blue Jays.  Some of the hitters are shining, namely Vladdy Guerrero Jr., who in his last eight games has hit a raucous .370 with three home runs and nine RBIs.  Not bad for a kid who came out swinging at strikeouts in his first few Major League at-bats.  Way to go, Vlad!  If only the rest of the Jays could pick up on that...

Does Aaron Sanchezs recurring blistered finger problems bring out the dj vu again?  Sanchez is determined not to let this rule his season.  Hopefully thats true.

Forget the negatives, focus on the positives.  The Jays should be plenty motivated to sink their teeth into their collective bats, display some fireworks of their own, and give Boston a run for the bases.

Cmon!

GO JAYS GO!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:47:49 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2019, 07:58:32 PM »
I was at the game today.  Such a disappointment to not see Vladdy Jr. play.  Too bad.  The Jays need pitching badly.  And I'm starting to feel like the heat is going to start to be put on Atkins and Shapiro.  I'm not convinced that this rebuild is going to come to fruition properly.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2019, 08:18:23 PM »
I was at the game today.  Such a disappointment to not see Vladdy Jr. play.  Too bad.  The Jays need pitching badly.  And I'm starting to feel like the heat is going to start to be put on Atkins and Shapiro.  I'm not convinced that this rebuild is going to come to fruition properly.

You literally spent all off-season saying those two should be fired.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2019, 08:32:54 PM »

You literally spent all off-season saying those two should be fired.
I don't see your point.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2019, 10:22:39 PM »

That decision (on not letting Vladdy play] irked a lot of people.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/blue-jays-fans-irate-over-vlad-jrs-benching-victoria-day-224233566.html
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:28:40 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »
It would do well to remind (Americans) Shapiro & Atkins what the long weekend meant

Atkins and Shapiro should not be influencing day to day lineup decisions regardless of what country they're from and there's nothing to suggest they did. It's Montoyo's job to set the lineup.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2019, 12:20:55 AM »
Perhaps this explains it better...still...

Weve got a set deal, he needs to get a day off, Charlie Montoyo said before a 12-2 pummelling from the Red Sox. Everybody is going to get a day off, anyway, 16 straight days, so today was Vlads.

Thats weak and, despite his protestations that it was a collective coaching decision, its not on Montoyo, as theres no way a baseball man with his experience and feel would make this call. The Blue Jays have delved into sports science as aggressively as anyone in baseball since Mark Shapiro took over as president and CEO after the 2015 season, and sitting Guerrero because its his day sounds far more like a high-performance department thing.

Yeah, probably.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/frustrating-questions-arise-blue-jays-sit-vlad-guerrero-jr-holiday/

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2019, 03:53:46 AM »
Jays win 10-3 over the Red Sox.  Rowdy Tellez had two homers to go with his 5 RBIs, As Jays starter Marcus Stroman was dominant and received offensive support.  Combine the two and its dino-mite!

More on the above:  Presenting the Stro show...

Hi-lites & more:
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-blue-jays/2019/05/21/566886#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=566886
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 03:56:51 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2019, 06:31:19 AM »
Jays lose 6-5 to the Red Sox in 13 innings.  Despite that, there were a few records set Vladdy hitting his first home run at home and also making a defensive diving catch, and Rowdy Tellezs clutch home run that tied the game and his thirteenth of the year which placed him in the Jays record books.

Up, up, and away...

A Vladdy great catch!

Rowdy! Rowdy!

Hi-lites & more:
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-blue-jays/2019/05/22/566887#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=566887
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:42:27 AM by hockeyfan1 »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2019, 06:31:19 AM »