Author Topic: Playing The "What If" Game Re: Mike Babcock  (Read 7786 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Playing The "What If" Game Re: Mike Babcock
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »

How does anyone in their right mind have a problem with those comments?

The reactions came off the twitter snippets where only some of the answer was posted without much context.
i.e. We've got to continue to build and add depth and add players.

That reads as absolving himself of responsibility (sup, Zee), even though it's something every team could say. People were expecting him to offer at least a mea culpa, but honestly, every single person does what they believe is right at the time, and it takes time to recognize if it was wrong or not. Take every single post in this board that you would consider ridiculously, factually wrong: that poster believed it to be true and correct.
#BeBlessed

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2019, 11:46:08 AM »

#BeBlessed

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2019, 11:50:45 AM »
I think I’ll give Dubas the benefit of the doubt for what happened this season and in the playoffs. There are only a handful of current Leaf players with his fingerprints on, and Babcock was not his hire either.

EDIT: he’s only brought in 3 new players during his first year as GM. Tavares, Muzzin and Ennis, and all 3 looked good this season and even better in the playoffs.

This off season should be telling about what we might see under his direction. I’d be super surprised if he doesn’t make one or two bold moves to tweak the bottom half of the lineup and the defence.

Unlike many on this board , I don’t think we are as far off as some of you think. Sprinkle in a few more defensive minded players to the mix we should see the Leafs take it to the next level next season.

But, clearly the honeymoon is over for Dubas . Time is now to prove to Shanny and Leaf Nation you were the right choice for the job
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:01:12 PM by RedLeaf »
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2019, 01:34:15 PM »
I think I’ll give Dubas the benefit of the doubt for what happened this season and in the playoffs. There are only a handful of current Leaf players with his fingerprints on, and Babcock was not his hire either.

EDIT: he’s only brought in 3 new players during his first year as GM. Tavares, Muzzin and Ennis, and all 3 looked good this season and even better in the playoffs.

This off season should be telling about what we might see under his direction. I’d be super surprised if he doesn’t make one or two bold moves to tweak the bottom half of the lineup and the defence.

Unlike many on this board , I don’t think we are as far off as some of you think. Sprinkle in a few more defensive minded players to the mix we should see the Leafs take it to the next level next season.

But, clearly the honeymoon is over for Dubas . Time is now to prove to Shanny and Leaf Nation you were the right choice for the job
The window is in 2 years and will open up for a few years at that time.  If Dubas is smart he will parlay some assets for a bit of a mini on the fly rebuild next season.  I think the Leafs will be a playoff team next season regardless which will be fun, and anything can happen as Columbus has shown us this season.  I just hope Dubas doesn't make another run at it at the trade deadline next season.  The Leafs would be completely stacked right now if they had traded JVR and Gardiner the past two trade deadlines while also refraining from using picks/prospects to acquire assets prematurely.

I guess it's easy to say that now in hindsight.  The Leafs were the betting favorites to win the cup at the beginning of the season.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2019, 02:23:40 PM »
I just hope Dubas doesn't make another run at it at the trade deadline next season.  The Leafs would be completely stacked right now if they had traded JVR and Gardiner the past two trade deadlines while also refraining from using picks/prospects to acquire assets prematurely.

Dubas didn't make a run this year at the TD. He got Petan. If you're referring to the Muzz deal I wouldn't classify that as a run. It was an area of need and he made a trade and while he used assets to acquire him, it was a very good trade. As for Gardiner, he wasn't getting you much at the deadline and JVR, Bozak and Leo were on Lou.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2019, 02:35:17 PM »
... But it will be interesting to see what happens with Nylander/Kapanen/Johnsson and perhaps even Kadri in light of his antics.

I'll spare you some of the suspense: Nylander's not going anywhere, except hopefully on Matthews's wing.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2019, 02:39:26 PM »
... But it will be interesting to see what happens with Nylander/Kapanen/Johnsson and perhaps even Kadri in light of his antics.

I'll spare you some of the suspense: Nylander's not going anywhere, except hopefully on Matthews's wing.
Yup. Only way he goes is if it's for a quality RD coming back.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2019, 02:55:52 PM »

Bullfrog is right Willie N is not going anywhere soon or ever.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2019, 03:14:00 PM »

Bullfrog is right Willie N is not going anywhere soon or ever.
I think he scores 30 next year with Matthews. He has something to prove.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2019, 03:30:58 PM »
I've been thinking about this a bit since Tuesday and I think I'm not far off the mark when I say that Babcock's PK decisions in Game 6 were the turning point in the series.

I'm a witless palooka but even I recognize that you can't have a winger taking faceoffs against the league's best faceoff man when you have a 1-0 lead and they're on a PP.  At that point in the series, you are up at home with a chance to put your boot on their neck.  You absolutely need to get a centerman out there to take a draw, even if the plan is to get him off ASAP.  If you aren't going to do that, and (guess what) you lose the draw, the next you thing you don't do is let the puck go to Johansen or whoever it was and let him sit there 2 feet from the goal like he's at the office copying machine.  You aggressively force him to make a play, not sit back and play reactive in your end the whole 2 minutes.

And thirdly, if you go ahead and do those 2 stupid things and (guess what) they tie it 1-1, you don't do the same exact damn things the next PP.  Because it will be 2-1, you'll go on to lose G6, you'll go on to lose G7, and then you're sitting here 5 days later playing "what if."

The more I think about that the more it burns me.

Mike Babcock didn't lose us the series.  But he didn't do some pretty obvious things that would have given us a much better chance to win it.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »
I've been thinking about this a bit since Tuesday and I think I'm not far off the mark when I say that Babcock's PK decisions in Game 6 were the turning point in the series.

I'm a witless palooka but even I recognize that you can't have a winger taking faceoffs against the league's best faceoff man when you have a 1-0 lead and they're on a PP.  At that point in the series, you are up at home with a chance to put your boot on their neck.  You absolutely need to get a centerman out there to take a draw, even if the plan is to get him off ASAP.  If you aren't going to do that, and (guess what) you lose the draw, the next you thing you don't do is let the puck go to Johansen or whoever it was and let him sit there 2 feet from the goal like he's at the office copying machine.  You aggressively force him to make a play, not sit back and play reactive in your end the whole 2 minutes.

And thirdly, if you go ahead and do those 2 stupid things and (guess what) they tie it 1-1, you don't do the same exact damn things the next PP.  Because it will be 2-1, you'll go on to lose G6, you'll go on to lose G7, and then you're sitting here 5 days later playing "what if."

Mike Babcock didn't lose us the series.  But he didn't do some pretty obvious things that would have given us a much better chance to win it.
Agree on all accounts. And game 6 downfall started with his playing the 4th line after a goal crap. And your winger taking the draw is playing on 1 leg!

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2019, 11:16:32 AM »

Babcock will tell you it wasn't his fault, blame Kadri for getting suspended as it made Mike do bad decisions

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2019, 03:59:46 PM »
Babs orchestrated the tank year superbly. A ton of structure and discipline, losing games by one goal. The next three years I think he's done a great job, but in terms of being flexible/taking risks on the fly, especially the last two years, there's a case to be made there. I think he gets another year with this group, but he's on the clock.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2019, 12:37:10 PM »
At the end of the day it's a results oriented league.  The Leafs have an expensive team with a lot of talent.  If Babcock can't get them to win in the playoffs, that's going to be the reason he gets fired.  Three straight good regular seasons and an 8-12 record in the postseason.  They either advance in the playoffs this year or he is toast.

Online wnc096

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »
At the end of the day it's a results oriented league.  The Leafs have an expensive team with a lot of talent.  If Babcock can't get them to win in the playoffs, that's going to be the reason he gets fired.  Three straight good regular seasons and an 8-12 record in the postseason.  They either advance in the playoffs this year or he is toast.

Theres at least a 50/50 chance they play Boston again.  You gotta hope that Chara/Bergeron/Krejci start to slow down