Author Topic: Seattle approved as 32nd franchise  (Read 5851 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Seattle approved as 32nd franchise
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 05:53:09 PM »
Yeah I mean I think I like Sandin just about as much as the next person but he's played 12 AHL games and Liljegren is getting the tougher minutes at the moment.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
If the players got 50% of $650M expansion fees (they don't), the cap would move $10.5M. I suppose the cap would likely go backward the following year though.

650/31/2 = 10.48

Why expand? Why not relocate? Why are some owners in the business of losing money? Rich guys hobby?
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 01:14:00 PM »
If the players got 50% of $650M expansion fees (they don't), the cap would move $10.5M. I suppose the cap would likely go backward the following year though.

650/31/2 = 10.48

Why expand? Why not relocate? Why are some owners in the business of losing money? Rich guys hobby?

It's a nice toy and you get a pretty sweet tax write-off. 

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »
Yeah I mean I think I like Sandin just about as much as the next person but he's played 12 AHL games and Liljegren is getting the tougher minutes at the moment.

I'm not sure who from the Athletic has said it (or it might be here), but Sandin seems to be a "safer" choice to eventually be a Top 4 D (2nd pairing).  Liljegren has the higher ceiling, but the lower floor in terms of what he can become...

Sandin already shows good positioning and gap control, and great patience in terms of creating zone exits but doesn't have high-end offensive talent despite the output so far in the AHL.  But he is nowhere near ready for the NHL yet, probably not even ready for tougher AHL minutes either. 

Liljegren is probably the best stretch passer in the organization already and has great offensive instincts that give him that higher ceiling, but it all depends on how much he improves his defensive play which is a real work in progress and makes his floor lower.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »

I'm not sure who from the Athletic has said it (or it might be here), but Sandin seems to be a "safer" choice to eventually be a Top 4 D (2nd pairing).  Liljegren has the higher ceiling, but the lower floor in terms of what he can become...

Sandin already shows good positioning and gap control, and great patience in terms of creating zone exits but doesn't have high-end offensive talent despite the output so far in the AHL.  But he is nowhere near ready for the NHL yet, probably not even ready for tougher AHL minutes either. 

Liljegren is probably the best stretch passer in the organization already and has great offensive instincts that give him that higher ceiling, but it all depends on how much he improves his defensive play which is a real work in progress and makes his floor lower.

Pretty sure that was Jeff Veillette.

Some additional comments in a conversation completely unrelated to Seattle:
Invalid Tweet ID
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 01:30:30 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »
I'm shocked a little that the Seattle Totems is a consideration/voting option for a team name with all the uproar around team names referring to the aboriginal population in NA.

I realize that Totems is not necessarily a derogatory term like the Redskins but I'm sure people would be upset by the Washington Wigwams or the Tallahassee Teepees.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 03:32:38 PM »
I'm shocked a little that the Seattle Totems is a consideration/voting option for a team name with all the uproar around team names referring to the aboriginal population in NA.

I realize that Totems is not necessarily a derogatory term like the Redskins but I'm sure people would be upset by the Washington Wigwams or the Tallahassee Teepees.

I think there's a pretty important distinction between the cases where the mascot/name refers to people and ones where it doesn't.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »
Seattle Kraken or Supersonics are the only viable options
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 05:21:39 PM »

I actually like Seals.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 05:47:34 PM »
I vote for the Seattle Sound
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »
They'll be joining the Pacific division (instant geographical rivalry with Vancouver) and Arizona will be moving to the Central division (something that they apparently aren't happy with, as it means increased travel and they're poor).

By that time it'll probably be Kansas City or Houston's probelm.

Nobody talks much about Houston, but I'd think that it'd be a great rivalry with Dallas.

The Toyota Centre is already there.  Do we know if the Rockets' owner backed off?

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 05:58:46 PM »
The Seattle Rock.

Offline Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 06:07:40 PM »
Seattle Top Guns