Author Topic: Nylander signs 6-year contract  (Read 14710 times)

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Nylander signs 6-year contract
« Reply #450 on: March 18, 2019, 07:32:19 PM »
I feel... conflicted...

That makes more sensehahahahaha

Dude has chemistry with everyone
Thanks Damian on your back up of my Nylander Steal quote..I will pass on the 500 as planned when we meet for drinks.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #450 on: March 18, 2019, 07:32:19 PM »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 24, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »

More Nylander fans joining my club

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 25, 2019, 09:42:53 AM »

Nylanderís offensive game outside of his shooting is elite. He has the potential to be one of the very best offensive players in the world, given his transition ability and passing. Manual tracking data suggests that Nylander is among the league leaders in creating shots for both himself and teammates, as well as creating zone entries. If he was an average shooter, his 5v5 scoring over the past three years would be similar to Nicklas Backstromís ó another Swedish pass-first player who is the second banana to an elite goal scorer. Backstrom will probably end up in the Hall of Fame. The main thing separating he and Nylanderís 5v5 scoring over the last few years is shooting percentage.

If youíre looking for some indication that Nylanderís shooting is salvageable, the man to look at is Nathan MacKinnon. Through his first four years, MacKinnonís shooting percentage was 8.1%, and there was discussion over why such a canít-miss prospect was not producing the way we would expect. Over the last two, his shooting percentage is 12.4%, and suddenly, MacKinnon is a consensus top-10 forward in the world. Itís also not as if MacKinnonís expected shooting percentage drastically shot upwards either. Itís higher in the last two years than in the previous three, but only by 0.5 percentage points. Furthermore, his expected shooting percentage is lower than Nylanderís has been across his entire career (one of the most annoying myths about Nylander is that heís a perimeter player who takes low percentage shots). Some time in the last few years, whether by a change in his game or random variance, MacKinnon figured out how to shoot, and changed from a frustrating young player with potential to an elite offensive player. Itís not out of the realm of possibility that Nylander can do the same.

Okay, now imagine Nylander with Matthews' curl-and-drag shot.

For what it's worth, Nylander shot over 17% (all situations) in his brief couple of seasons with the Marlies.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:06:04 AM by herman »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 25, 2019, 03:34:56 PM »

Nylanderís offensive game outside of his shooting is elite. He has the potential to be one of the very best offensive players in the world, given his transition ability and passing. Manual tracking data suggests that Nylander is among the league leaders in creating shots for both himself and teammates, as well as creating zone entries. If he was an average shooter, his 5v5 scoring over the past three years would be similar to Nicklas Backstromís ó another Swedish pass-first player who is the second banana to an elite goal scorer. Backstrom will probably end up in the Hall of Fame. The main thing separating he and Nylanderís 5v5 scoring over the last few years is shooting percentage.

If youíre looking for some indication that Nylanderís shooting is salvageable, the man to look at is Nathan MacKinnon. Through his first four years, MacKinnonís shooting percentage was 8.1%, and there was discussion over why such a canít-miss prospect was not producing the way we would expect. Over the last two, his shooting percentage is 12.4%, and suddenly, MacKinnon is a consensus top-10 forward in the world. Itís also not as if MacKinnonís expected shooting percentage drastically shot upwards either. Itís higher in the last two years than in the previous three, but only by 0.5 percentage points. Furthermore, his expected shooting percentage is lower than Nylanderís has been across his entire career (one of the most annoying myths about Nylander is that heís a perimeter player who takes low percentage shots). Some time in the last few years, whether by a change in his game or random variance, MacKinnon figured out how to shoot, and changed from a frustrating young player with potential to an elite offensive player. Itís not out of the realm of possibility that Nylander can do the same.

Okay, now imagine Nylander with Matthews' curl-and-drag shot.

For what it's worth, Nylander shot over 17% (all situations) in his brief couple of seasons with the Marlies.

Sounds like a job for Darryl Belfry this summer.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 26, 2019, 11:12:23 AM »
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2019/4/26/18517715/william-nylander-kyle-dubas-mike-babcock-exit-interview-toronto-maple-leafs

I'm glad Dubas cleared the air on this. I know he was trying to take the heat for a variety of things that really were other people's responsibility at the end of the season, but this one is accurately on him.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 26, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
I think Nylander will easily score 30 goals next year. I am not the least bit worried having him on our roster even at his cap hit.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 26, 2019, 11:17:43 AM »
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2019/4/26/18517715/william-nylander-kyle-dubas-mike-babcock-exit-interview-toronto-maple-leafs

I'm glad Dubas cleared the air on this. I know he was trying to take the heat for a variety of things that really were other people's responsibility at the end of the season, but this one is accurately on him.

Were Nylander and his agent mute during this entire process?  I think blame lies on both parties.  Had Willy come to a number earlier he would have signed earlier.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 26, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »

Were Nylander and his agent mute during this entire process?  I think blame lies on both parties.  Had Willy come to a number earlier he would have signed earlier.

It sounds like they were being lowballed by nearly 20% the whole offseason and into November. They were looking for assurances that Nylander was considered core, and a coy 5-6M offer with an expected salary cap increase, regardless of the term, isn't quite that.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 26, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »

It sounds like they were being lowballed by nearly 20% the whole offseason and into November. They were looking for assurances that Nylander was considered core, and a coy 5-6M offer with an expected salary cap increase, regardless of the term, isn't quite that.

Says who that they were offering in the $5M range?  All accounts were Leafs were in the low 6s, something like 6.2-6.5 but Nylander's camp wanted over $8M

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 26, 2019, 01:20:56 PM »

Says who that they were offering in the $5M range?  All accounts were Leafs were in the low 6s, something like 6.2-6.5 but Nylander's camp wanted over $8M

Says who on the Nylander camp wanting 8.  There were no confirmed numbers coming out but the panels pushed that narrative all year.  It's interesting that in a negotiation where no numbers were truly leaking that the high-ball number is taken as true only.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 26, 2019, 01:31:20 PM »

Says who on the Nylander camp wanting 8.  There were no confirmed numbers coming out but the panels pushed that narrative all year.  It's interesting that in a negotiation where no numbers were truly leaking that the high-ball number is taken as true only.

Given that they settled on 6.9 you can assume that is between what both camps were willing to do so the 8 vs. 6 number makes sense and is believable.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 26, 2019, 02:22:20 PM »

Given that they settled on 6.9 you can assume that is between what both camps were willing to do so the 8 vs. 6 number makes sense and is believable.
Dubas took the bullets for a lot of things but this is on both parties here. They both messed up. Willy will be motivated next season to prove himself worthy.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 01, 2019, 11:31:52 AM »
https://theathletic.com/826406/2019/05/01/william-nylanders-lost-season-the-story-behind-the-negotiations-that-derailed-the-leafs-young-star/

It's his birthday today

Has anyone heard Jonathan Coulton's (of Portal fame) First of May song? Headphones :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 11:43:56 AM by herman »

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 01, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »
https://theathletic.com/826406/2019/05/01/william-nylanders-lost-season-the-story-behind-the-negotiations-that-derailed-the-leafs-young-star/

It's his birthday today

Certainly there's GOT to be a .gif of Nylander blowing out 5 or 6 candles, and then giving up and peeling for the bench.
ďHow many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, theyíre coming home. Mark my words, theyíll be coming.Ē
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 05, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »
Iím wondering if there is something Nylander can do over the summer to improve his scoring potential.  Can he work on hitting the net more?  Can he work on speeding up his release?  Is there something else?

More generally, it would be nice to hear about the kinds of things different leafs (the young ones) might be able to do to give us some further internal growth.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #464 on: May 05, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »