Author Topic: Nylander signs 6-year contract  (Read 14496 times)

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Nylander signs 6-year contract
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »
It looked a little uneventful when Nylander got in at Pearson.

Wearing a hoodie and stuff...who was the guy that picked him up?

That was me.  I drive for Uber.  It was a nice gig, he's a really down-to-earth guy, gave me a $20 tip!  About covers the gas for the trip in that big honkin' SUV I run.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2018, 10:43:25 AM »
As far as the trade comment goes. The only way I see them trading Nylander is if because now that he's signed, his value is higher, so he'll return a defenceman of equal value. But that still depends on two things, one is that another team is willing to make a trade along those lines, and two is that the Leafs think they need to make a move along those lines.

I'll be surprised if he's traded anytime in the next 5 years.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2018, 11:09:44 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
So probably Leivo for like a 7th or an AHL player who doesn't have to go on the NHL roster?

Online digdug

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »
Leafs sent Dermott down temporarily  to give them time to make a trade

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/maple-leafs-travis-dermott-temporarily-sent-to-minors/

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 03, 2018, 11:28:38 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID

I can't really see the return on Leivo being worth it to go that route as opposed to just waiving Gauthier or Holl.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 03, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »
So probably Leivo for like a 7th or an AHL player who doesn't have to go on the NHL roster?

Leivo for a upper quality AHL goalie who's already passed through waivers might interest me I guess. But if it's just for a 6th or 7th round pick then like I said just waive Gauthier or Holl, they'd both clear I'd imagine.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 03, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »

Leivo for a upper quality AHL goalie who's already passed through waivers might interest me I guess. But if it's just for a 6th or 7th round pick then like I said just waive Gauthier or Holl, they'd both clear I'd imagine.

I know this is probably just me being optimistic but at this point Leivo has basically played an entire season's worth of NHL games over his career. In those 84 games he's got 14 goals, 28 points with pretty decent possession numbers and only getting around 11 minutes a game.

I appreciate the ways in which the NHL doesn't tend to work like this but if that represented a single season for a player, what would that player be worth? Ok, still not much probably but the idea of getting a 3rd or a 4th for a guy who's sort of proven he can be an effective 4th liner with some scoring punch isn't the craziest thing in the world.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
I know this is probably just me being optimistic but at this point Leivo has basically played an entire season's worth of NHL games over his career. In those 84 games he's got 14 goals, 28 points with pretty decent possession numbers and only getting around 11 minutes a game.

I appreciate the ways in which the NHL doesn't tend to work like this but if that represented a single season for a player, what would that player be worth? Ok, still not much probably but the idea of getting a 3rd or a 4th for a guy who's sort of proven he can be an effective 4th liner with some scoring punch isn't the craziest thing in the world.

Yeah I get where you're coming from, throwing a mid round pick away seems like a fair deal for a young player who should be a productive part of your 4th line. I just can't think of any comparables where a player like him got that much. But who knows. Maybe whoever loses out on the Brendan Leipsic waivers sweepstakes will be desperate.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
Yeah I get where you're coming from, throwing a mid round pick away seems like a fair deal for a young player who should be a productive part of your 4th line. I just can't think of any comparables where a player like him got that much. But who knows. Maybe whoever loses out on the Brendan Leipsic waivers sweepstakes will be desperate.

It's not a perfect comparison but Frank Vatrano had somewhat similar numbers(31 points in 109 games spread over 3 seasons) with Boston when he was traded to Florida for a 3rd rounder.
-Karl Marx

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2018, 12:09:19 PM »

Babcock pretty convincingly said that Dermott will play tomorrow, so if no one went on waivers a trade needs to drop for that to happen.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2018, 12:09:41 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID

I can't really see the return on Leivo being worth it to go that route as opposed to just waiving Gauthier or Holl.
We're spoiled... still important to manage assets as efficiently as possible. I would rather see Gauthier waived then receive a 6th or 7th round pick for Levio.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »

That seems to more or less jive with the notion that the contract dispute would mean that the room would resent Nylander and would reject his return.
-Karl Marx

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »

That seems to more or less jive with the notion that the contract dispute would mean that the room would resent Nylander and would reject his return.

It makes too much sense for Marner to do this even if there was a rift in the room:
- Nylander sets the table for Marner's negotiation
- Marner loves memes
- Marner loves dancing
- Marner loves hugs

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »