Author Topic: Nylander signs 6-year contract  (Read 10365 times)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Nylander signs 6-year contract
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »
The first rule of fandom is to wear rivals' caricatures of you as badge of honor.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »

Offline disco

• Veteran
  • Leafs Nation (Road)
    • View Profile
"I'm here for (4.5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2018, 04:32:03 PM »
I missed it. Is there a place to watch it online?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2018, 04:32:56 PM »

Lots and lots of GMs have said this and then went back on it. But I feel like Dubas is a lot more likely to stick to it than most.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:35:19 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »

Short of something absolutely crazy coming up... I believe it.

Why would anyone possibly trade this?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:51:47 PM by herman »

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2018, 04:56:26 PM »
I don't get the NHLPA comment? In order for it to be processed, they need it by 4:30?
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2018, 05:01:29 PM »
I missed it. Is there a place to watch it online?

MLHS Transcript

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2018, 05:01:56 PM »
Lots and lots of GMs have said this and then went back on it. But I feel like Dubas is a lot more likely to stick to it than most.

I'm really not a fan of this, assuming he said it.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2018, 05:02:18 PM »
I don't get the NHLPA comment? In order for it to be processed, they need it by 4:30?

They may have said that so that there was some wiggle room to get everything wrapped by the actual deadline.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2018, 05:21:10 PM »

I don't think it matters much. The odds of Dubas ever wanting to move Nylander are  probably pretty low and any change can be communicated to Nylander beforehand.
-Mark Twain

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2018, 05:29:34 PM »

I am very happy that Nylander is staying in Toronto but I do sort of feel like Leafs fans would be wise to not lean too heavily on the idea that winning in Toronto is somehow better than winning somewhere else. I feel like that takes us uncomfortably close to being the sort of caricature some people say we are. It's the Cup, if you win it it's probably pretty terrific no matter where.
For the player sure, but the overall reaction of the market it wouldn't be the same. Win a Cup in Toronto and the entire country knows who you are, you're a celebrity and legend especially in Toronto for all time. Win a Cup in Arizona, would most people on the street even recognize you the week after? I doubt it.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2018, 05:33:12 PM »
For the player sure, but the overall reaction of the market it wouldn't be the same. Win a Cup in Toronto and the entire country knows who you are, you're a celebrity and legend especially in Toronto for all time. Win a Cup in Arizona, would most people on the street even recognize you the week after? I doubt it.

I think that's already more or less how the markets treat the players though. Winning a Cup wouldn't really change how many people in Toronto/Canada know who Willy Nylander is.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 03, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »

I think that's already more or less how the markets treat the players though. Winning a Cup wouldn't really change how many people in Toronto/Canada know who Willy Nylander is.
Well, we've never seen a Cup winner in our lifetimes (apologies to the way older than me guys in here) so I can only imagine how popular the players would be if we ever won.  A buddy of mine, total geek who knows nothing about hockey and doesn't follow it at all, even he knows who Sundin is because of those conference finals runs the Leafs had back in the 2000s

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »

I don't think it matters much. The odds of Dubas ever wanting to move Nylander are  probably pretty low and any change can be communicated to Nylander beforehand.

I think it matters a great deal. A lot can happen in 6 years, and any "change that can be communicated later" is pretty cavalier way of saying that dubas can break his word without consequence to his reputation and the organization's by proxy.

And on top of this, every other player coming out of entry level will attempt to leverage the same commitment, since it's been on the table once. Either Dubas screwed up by offering it, or screwed up royally with Nylander announcing it.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »

Leaving aside the fact that I'm sure some players would view that as a net positive, I don't even really believe that's true. The idea that a cup win would isolate a player from the sort of thing that happened to Sundin at the end of his career doesn't wash with me.

Winning the cup would certainly be a lot of fun and I'm sure fans would be excited but I feel like a little while later fans would go right back to wanting to win another cup and having the same sort of transactional relationship with the players we just saw throughout the Nylander negotiating process.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »