Author Topic: Raptors close to acquiring Kawhi Leonard  (Read 3471 times)

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
Re: Raptors close to acquiring Kawhi Leonard
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 07:57:00 PM »

TSN radio called Leonard the Patrice Bergeron of the NBA.
Thats who I was thinking of... think of it like we traded Kadri for Bergeron...

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 07:57:00 PM »

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 07:59:30 PM »
Can he skate backwards even a little bit and does he shoot right?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 09:30:53 PM »
I don't know anything about Basketball. How good is Kawhi really? I've read he's like top 3-5 in league good. Any comparable hockey player or old school bball player?

I think a really good comparison might be to Pavel Datsyuk in his prime. Very good offensively while being maybe the best defender in the game.

So maybe think of it like trading someone like Daniel Sedin for Datsyuk.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 09:48:17 PM »
Yeah, rock and a hard place situation.   Kawhi is a top 5 player when he is at his best.   Probably the best player that has been on the team since Carter or McGrady, depending on how you view Bosch.  They had to do something other than shuffling the deck chairs, but it would have been nice if they could have come up with a creative way to add to the group without getting rid of DeRozan.  Sure you wouldn't get a talent like Kawhi, but maybe there is something else out there that you can do to augment the team.  As has been mentioned by others, here is a guy that committed to the team, and you just up and traded him.  I know it happens, but in this situation, it feels like that should have been avoided.

I don't know to what extent you're a Basketball fan but I feel like that's the sort of thing that would never fly in a million years if we were talking about the Leafs. Imagine, for instance, not trading Phil Kessel because he was a good guy who liked it here and who'd signed two extensions with the Leafs.

But just like trading Kessel was ultimately necessary for the Leafs to take the right steps, this probably was too. I get that it sucks because DeRozan was a good guy who liked it here and it's a shame that he's not going to be someone who we get to see any more but Raptors fans are just as invested in the Raps winning as most of us are with the Leafs so to ask them to put that on hold so that DeMar can stick around would be a tough sell.

It's unfortunate, and it really sucks that it looks like they weren't forthright with DeRozan about it, but that is the nature of the beast when it comes to following professional sports.
-Mark Twain

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 12:31:19 AM »
So is DeRozan just a good player? I have a hard time believing the Tyler Bozak vs Tavares analogy.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 03:31:43 AM »
So, DeMar is bitter; Leonard may not show up; and Spurs coach Popovich will miss Danny Green.    Oh, yes.  The everlasting question:  Who wins the trade?  (That, gentlepeople,  remains to be seen).

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:19:04 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 06:49:40 AM »
I love how all of us who don't follow basketball are trying to equate this to hockey trade to help get a frame of reference. Lol

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 07:15:38 AM »
So long, DeMar and thank you.  Best of luck in San Antonio.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 07:25:38 AM »
So is DeRozan just a good player? I have a hard time believing the Tyler Bozak vs Tavares analogy.

No. DeRozan was a 2nd Team All-NBA player and finished 8th in MVP voting last year. He is a 4 time all-star. He was a very good player. Definitely in the conversation for top 15 or so in the league.

The problem with equating this to hockey is that hockey positions are so fundamentally different. Saying Tavares is a top 10 or top 15 player in the league is kind of meaningless because you have to answer an impossible question like is he better than Carey Price?
-Mark Twain

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 07:35:02 AM »
This might make Raptor fans feel better (or worse depending on which paragraph one reads):

...if Leonard gets to Toronto, realizes he really likes it and embraces the situation, the Raptors could take off. Leonard is basically DeRozan, just way better in every way. Leonard is a better isolation scorer, a better playmaker, a better defender, better in the open floor. If he fits, the Raptors could cook.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/kawhi-to-the-raptors-how-much-does-trade-change-eastern-conference-race

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
Raptors got a two time Selke award winner and heavy shot from the point.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 07:44:26 AM »
Some have compared Leonard to the Celtics Jayson Tatum.  Leonard edges Tatum as the better stopper:

- Leonard is the better scorer, averaging 2.3 points per game more than Tatum.

-The margin is close, but Leonard is a slightly better passer, averaging 0.7 assists per game more than Tatum.

-Their averages are close, but Tatum grabs a few more rebounds, eclipsing Leonard's total by 0.3 boards per game.

https://m.herosports.com/nba/player-comparison/jayson-tatum-vs-kawhi-leonard

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 07:53:36 AM »

Pretty apt description in the hockey vernacular.

Leonard will no doubt strengthen the Raptors lineup in a way that DeMar couldn't.  He (Leonard) is both offensively-driven and defensively sound.  If we can say there was a flaw with DeMar, it was his defensive game.  It was virtually non-existent.

Ujiiri wanted to shake it up and in a way, as much as it leaves a bitter taste with the fans, the man deserves credit for taking a leap of faith for initiating this blockbuster trade.

I admire Ujiiri's willingness to 'shake up the culture' even more, and certainly it doesn't stop here.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 07:56:13 AM »

I think that's understating things defensively a bit. He's twice been voted the best defensive player in the league irrespective of position.
-Mark Twain

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
Leonard is considered the 2nd best "player" meaning all around to Lebron. That's how good he is. He does everything extremely well and defending is his claim to fame, something Derozan was pretty much terrible at. They also got Green who is also a good defensive player that can shoot the 3 ball so this is a huge upgrade. They have a year to convince him to stay.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »